General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

2wd saff wiring ecu loom to custom car loom...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 04:02 PM
G.Man
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd saff wiring ecu loom to custom car loom...

Okay I have reached the stage as to where I am about to fit all the wiring in my chassis and connect to the main loom.

The main car loom is a brand new custom loom made by griffin power solutions, and I am fitting an ETB Digidash 2.

I am quite happy with the fitting of the digidash and the sensors it requires, and am also happy with the engine wiring loom and how that fits to the main loom, however, where it all gets a bit tricky is the connections I should have on my car loom that connect to engine sensors/components...

By My reckoning, I should have the following connections to make from the main loom (not ECU loom) to the engine sensors, fuel pump etc...

1. Starter Connection to +ve solenoid primary circuit

2. Oil Pressure Switch

3. Coil +ve, live with ignition switch on

4. Fuel Pump (continuation of black/red power feed from ECU Loom)

5. Fuel Level Sensor

Digidash will connect to seperate sensors for oil pressure, temp, water temp and boost pressure along with tacho feed from loom (green) and fuel level sensor extension from main loom.

I am ignoring lights for the purposes of this excercise as they will be wired seperately into the Sierra Column stalks.

Now the final confusion...

The wiring diagram for the sierra shows several connections that I can't cross reference..

A. It shows 2 coolant temperature senders... 1 has 2 wires and attaches to a blue 2 pin plug, the other appears to connect to a white/brown wire that terminates at the ecu/car loom interface plug, but I cannot find the other end of this wire that attaches to the sensor on the ECU loom...

B. the other connections shown in the diagram are the knock sensor, hego (Lambda????) sensor and canister purge valve.. I cannot find any of these connections (or the sensors) does this mean they dont apply to my loom (L6 ecu loom from a 2wd saff)

If anyone has a decent wiring diagram for a 90 2wd saff, uk model with no air con, I would be very grateful for a copy, as its slightly doing my head in..

Old 12-10-2005, 08:10 AM
G.Man

nobody?

Old 12-10-2005, 09:04 AM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A. One sensor for the ECU (2 wires), one sender for the dash temp gauge (one wire) straight to the clocks via the engine loom/car loom multiplug

B. None of the mentioned sensors/connectors required for L6

For wiring diagrams/useful info, see here :

http://www.siipicossu.com/manuaaleja/manuaalit.htm
Old 12-10-2005, 09:13 AM
jon@work

PS With regards what should or should not be in the car loom

don't forget the alternator exciter feed (small blue as standard in car loom from +12V via dash bulb)

the coil feed is in the ECU loom, not the car loom

the rev counter needs a feed from the coil (small green as standard in the ECU loom, going to the car/engine loom multiplug)
Old 12-10-2005, 09:22 AM
G.Man

Jon

Thanks buddy, yes alternator exciter and charge lead in the car loom.

The Ecu lead to the coil I have was connected to the -ve terminal of the coil, and there was a feed from the car loom (headlmap bundle iirc) going to the +ve coil terminal. does this mean it was wired backwards on the primary coil circyuit on my car?

The Ecu connector for the temp gauge is the blue terminal block yes? Under the manifold iirc..

Thanks for the link, will look now

Old 12-10-2005, 09:45 AM
G.Man

Ack, think I have just realised why the +ve feed for the coil was coimg from the car loom....

The Guy had a clifford 50 alarm installed.... looks like I need to trace back that wire to the ignition amp and remake the +ve connection into the loom...

BUGGAH.. but glad I realised before I tried starting the fooker

Old 12-10-2005, 09:50 AM
jon@work

IIRC, the positive feed for the coil in the ECU loom is only a +12V feed from one of the relays, so it doesn't really matter where it's from as long as switched through the ignition.

The blue connector in the ECU loom at the back of the head on the passenger side is for the water temp sensor required by the ECU for mixture enrichment. On a 2wd head, the temp gauge sender is a single wire going to the front of the head on the driver's side.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:10 AM
G.Man

Jon

once again, thanks.. the wiring diagram I am looking at shows the +ve feed as a black or black yellow wire from the ignition amplifier...

The -ve wire is a green wire connected to a filter etc etc...

The green is intact with the filter, the black wire is missing and attached to the car loom...

I am presuming I can "intersect" the black/yellow wire from the ignition module and that will be a positive feed to the ignition coil, but I am gonna have to check once its all wired together..

Sorely tempted to get a whole new engine loom tbh, just to keep it back to standard...

Old 12-10-2005, 02:47 PM
jon@work

Originally Posted by G.Man
I am presuming I can "intersect" the black/yellow wire from the ignition module and that will be a positive feed to the ignition coil)
The coil wire feeds onto the amp - so will need to splice a switched +12V onto the amp feed (black/yellow) to supply the coil and amp - check the diagram again in the link.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:33 PM
G.Man

Sweet, thanks jon...