General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ebay Sellers!!

Search this Thread

Old 27-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Nick500
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Sellers!!

Why is that some Fooks put items on ebay with no reserve, highlight that then remove them because they have not reached a certain price!! if they dont want to sell it cheap put a reserve on it! I am sick of it it happens all the time, Just need to blow off steam, has this happened to anybody else?

It could be that items are sold and then removed but on a number of occasions the item reappears being sold by the same person!!

Old 27-06-2004, 10:23 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

thats why i dont use ebay,wank as far as im concerned
Old 27-06-2004, 10:25 PM
turbo.jon
Advanced PassionFord User

It do piss u off had it done to me other day while bidding on dump valve

i sell things on ebay and never put a reserve its cheeper thats why people do it
only time i take em off is if some one has made an offer on item
Old 27-06-2004, 10:25 PM
plater
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

If an item has only been bid on by two or three people and the winning bid only stands at a couple of quid then you cant expect the seller to part with his stuff for that, not if its worth far more. It is the sellers right to remove items if they are no longer for sale or if they fail to reach a respectable price. As for putting a reserve price on things, ebay charges for that and that is why most people refuse to use the reserve option.
Old 27-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Nick500

Originally Posted by turbo.jon
It do piss u off had it done to me other day while bidding on dump valve

i sell things on ebay and never put a reserve its cheeper thats why people do it
only time i take em off is if some one has made an offer on item
Same here jon, I only end the auction if it is sold!

"If an item has only been bid on by two or three people and the winning bid only stands at a couple of quid then you cant expect the seller to part with his stuff for that, not if its worth far more. It is the sellers right to remove items if they are no longer for sale or if they fail to reach a respectable price. As for putting a reserve price on things, ebay charges for that and that is why most people refuse to use the reserve option."

They should put a reserve on it then or start the bid higher!

Sorry but it pissses me off.
Old 27-06-2004, 10:44 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Totally right Nick. If you don't want it to go cheap, use the reserve and spend 33p or whatever it is! Fucking tight arse cunts! Ebay is half about getting bargains and people like that totally ruin the site.
Old 27-06-2004, 10:56 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

IMO Ebay rules shouldn't allow sellers to remove items once posted - that would force sellers to reconsider the start price or reserve.. Sellers can pretty much do what they want, but then it's sellers that make Ebay money, so they will look after them..

If you put an item into an auction room without reserve, you cant suddenly nick it back again because it isn't making enough! should be the same on Ebay IMO..

Trending Topics

Old 28-06-2004, 09:24 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

i always thought you couldnt remove without very good reason, but yeah same thing happened to me last night.
stupid fuckers dont realise 80% of bidding happens in the last minute anyway so he'd prob. of got a good deal anyhow
Old 28-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Nick500

Originally Posted by ballin
i always thought you couldnt remove without very good reason, but yeah same thing happened to me last night.
stupid fuckers dont realise 80% of bidding happens in the last minute anyway so he'd prob. of got a good deal anyhow
Totally right, Rich!!

Nick
Old 28-06-2004, 11:25 AM
MarkyMark
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by BlueSmoke
Totally right Nick. If you don't want it to go cheap, use the reserve and spend 33p or whatever it is! Fucking tight arse *****! Ebay is half about getting bargains and people like that totally ruin the site.

Arent the costs for reserves a percentage of what you sell for?, 2 or 3%?
Old 28-06-2004, 11:58 AM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Inherent in an auction situation, is a degree of risk on behalf of the seller:
No reserve means it could sell for less than you want; reserve price costs you money, weighed against the risk of it not selling for enough; Buy Now price ensures you get what you want, but means you MAY have got more if the auction ran it's normal course...
IMO the seller should consider these issues and have to stick by them - Ebay don't want to upset sellers though, as that is where the revenue comes from, so lean more towards the sellers rights than buyers...
Old 28-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

but by the same token, if people bidded rather than just watch items and bid with 5 seconds to go, then it would even its self out. On my laptop i have 28 poepl watching it and only 3 bids ffs,
Old 28-06-2004, 12:02 PM
ADUSR33
Advanced PassionFord User

simple dont use e bay then
Old 28-06-2004, 12:07 PM
RSCAT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

my mate sold a record on ebay 10 days or so ago, he had a reserve of
Ł4000 on it and it cost him Ł70 odd just to list it, thats without their cut at the end
so its understandable people wanting to get out of paying that, especially when the item may not sell. Luckily it fetched over six grand so he was ok.
Old 28-06-2004, 12:11 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

as in life, ebay is full of twats.

what about those that list stuff with a starting price of say 100 quid, and then write 'no reserve'. i know that a starting price is technically different to a reserve, but in reality it's the same thing, so why say it?

totally agree with richm

and why wait until the last 5 seconds to bid? there's this thing called proxy bidding you know just put in at the beginning of the auction the most that you're prepared to pay. you'll either get it or you won't, and you won't pay any more than if you try to put incremental bids on yourself in the last few minutes. why people can't cope with that concept i don't know.
Old 28-06-2004, 12:37 PM
CraigN
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the higher your starting price the more ebay charge you

the same goes for reserve

to keep costs down ppl put stuff at low start and ive seen on some auctions lately ppl actually putting in the description i reserver the right to end early and i hate snipers so bid properly

i know spadge does this as hes removed a dfew items ive had my eye on that were going cheap
Old 28-06-2004, 01:30 PM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by CraigN
the higher your starting price the more ebay charge you

the same goes for reserve

to keep costs down ppl put stuff at low start and ive seen on some auctions lately ppl actually putting in the description i reserver the right to end early and i hate snipers so bid properly

i know spadge does this as hes removed a dfew items ive had my eye on that were going cheap

I only do this to piss people off as i couldn't give a fook lol
Bid before the end instead of trying to win something for fook all at the end and items won't disapear
My item my money my choice
Old 28-06-2004, 01:37 PM
CraigN
PassionFord Post Whore!!

spadge wasnt havin a dig

if i want something i send an email and agree a price as i did when i bought that sump off you

i would do the same

everyone wants everything for nothing and id rather keep stuf than sell it silly cheap i just dont use ebay much
Old 28-06-2004, 01:42 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

it's within the rules, so people are entitled to do this. still pisses you off though. you can kind of see why, when it costs them to put a reserve or higher starting price on, but imo they're being pikey not paying up.

it costs you money to put a reserve on an item in a real auction room, so by the same token that people are being pikey expecting to buy it for a bargain price, the the seller is being even more pikey expecting to sell it for nothing. ebay gives people a far greater market for selling than they would get through virtually any other means, and is pretty cheap to advertise to a worldwide market even including the fees for reserve or starting price.

what is shit is that you can only enter feedback on a person if an auction ends, so you can't easily give people negative feedback for pissing you about. maybe that's correct as long as they are following the rules, which as richm says are there to make ebay money.
Old 28-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Yeah, I saw one the other day. Auction for a car (can't remember what tho) and he started bidding at Ł100, made a big thing of mentioning it had NO RESERVE (like 3 or 4 times, lol) then at the bottom said he will cancel the auction just before it ends if the price hasn't reached Ł7500

Knob end
Old 28-06-2004, 02:17 PM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ok another angle on this!
I bet the people whining about people ending auctions early are the same people that are always emailing sellers trying to buy the thing now!!
As for being a "pikey" for not wanting to pay reserve prices Simple ecenomics people if it is cheaper and costs you nothing then why pay more??? fooked if i can see the logic in that
Old 28-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i'm with spadge, to date my ffedback is circa 450 or so, and kaz sells loads of stuff, and is starting here own likkle business soon and some stuff will be going on ebay, so if you can reduce costs it makes better buisness sense, however we already know spadge is a pikey anyways,
Old 28-06-2004, 10:09 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

whilst the rules allow it, then realistically peeps are gonna play by the rules, you can't blame them... I'm just stating the way i think it SHOULD be run...
Old 28-06-2004, 11:20 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

u should buy my stuff
i never end for any reason ne more
no off auction selling, no offers, nowt
i sold a erst intercooler for Ł1 the other day
still worth leaving it on as it could have been sniped by a couple off peeps at the end but it didnt

it even says on my auction sthat i wont end early cos its not fair

funk im a nice ebayer

free plug
http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....sort=3&rows=50
Old 28-06-2004, 11:21 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I.M.H.O ebay is wank , too many tossers and chancers