General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Just been clocked for speeding by a vascar5000 this morning

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 05:27 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHERE WAS IT?!!!

lol
Old 11-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M1 J25 to J26 Unmarked Accord Type R
Old 11-08-2005, 05:41 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

oh no not hondas I have to slow down for now aswell!!

ive been slowing down for years for anything behind with a griffith badge or focus shaped headlights

I cross straight over the top of the m1 on myway home hope they are only m1 stalkers!!
Old 11-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dingy was the convo in the car as i know when i got done they recorded all the conversation,,,,,,,,,, to use against me

as for going to court and if info is wrong ya will be cool

my missus went to court for dangerous driving and then road was untrue nand never had a dam bus lane and so wasnt able to plead guilty ect

they didnt care, the offence was the point in question and thats all that counted

good luck and tell us how ya get on in 4 months time
Old 11-08-2005, 09:13 PM
badnews
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

unlucky slow down fecker i never got fook all for our noz test
Old 11-08-2005, 09:47 PM
the strut brace
PassionFord Post Troll

Default Re: Just been clocked for speeding by a vascar5000 this morn

Originally Posted by Doug Stirling
Originally Posted by dingy
..........91.92 over 0.262 (think that must be miles)
I am sure that the distance they have to measure your speed over is 1.25 miles.........then "do" you on the average speed over that distance (if over the speed limit).

This is the sequence of events:

The copper told me what I had done and pointed to the mph on the screen, then he said "this is no arse dyno figure - this is the actual speed you were doing flat out in your car"

To which my first question was........

"I have the wrong gearbox oil in the car at the moment so 92 MPH is as fast as it goes want me to try again tomorrow?"

Perfectly reasonable question

Officer replied

"No - I have been on PassionFord and seen the amount of crap you post "

and then got the arse

The copper then called me "Knob Jockey" and told me to "leave Ranj and Rod alone"

I thought I was fooked to be honest but then I said this

"I very much like Chunky Chicks - do you?"

He answered "no"

Anyone got any advice ?
arofpmsl, thats fookin quality
you'll b areet man ding by the sound of it
Old 11-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

ROFLMFAO @ Doug
Old 11-08-2005, 10:18 PM
digita1dragon
Advanced PassionFord User

Andy, that sounds like a blinder mate!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:02 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/speed03.htm

The minimum distance the police are allowed to is 0.125 miles - one-eighth of a mile. Under exceptional circumstances, they're allowed to go down to 0.07 miles but only in pre-fed or dial-in distance modes where the start and end points are not shadows. Police helicopters and Motorbikes can take the same measurements

also found it on hmso .. but takes bloody ages
Old 12-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Time for a detector me thinks
Old 12-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Time for a detector me thinks
Horse/door/stable/close/bolted etc

Seriouselly Dingy, a radar/laser detector is of no use against VASCAR, especially when it's fitted in an unmarked car........and some of those unmarked cars are quite sporty - Subarus's (Devon)/EVO's (Sussex)/Skoda RS (A1 Beds/Cambs)
Old 12-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Funny doug, maybe you should be a comedian

Does anything pick up the vascar ?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Does anything pick up the vascar ?
No, because it does not emit any sort of signal - It's just time and distance measuring device based on the officers visual cue point(s) to start & end the measured distance
Old 12-08-2005, 08:01 AM
Linsay
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Keith B
I got caught via VASCAR 10yrs back doing 104. At the time I was at Uni and my mechanics lecturer told me he could get the figure under 100mph if I paid for his expenses to go along.

As its a time distance calculator it relies on the officers reaction time on pressing a button when you pass 2 fixed points that he has previously noted the distance between with his freshly calibrated unit. Thats 2 opportunities for him to get it a bit wrong. If you're jsut over 100 then its not hard to see that a few 1/10's of a sec out will push it this way or that.

However I was accelerating at the time racing a Volvo T5. I had the thing off the clock a few mins later and it took a long time for the fuz to catch up. I went to court smartly dressed, appologised for my behaviour and brought a note from Uni saying I needed my car. If I hadnt have already got an SP30 on my license then I think I would have got away with it. As it was I got a 100quid fine and a 1 week ban. No points.
Keeeith!! Good job the car has a more sensible owner now
Old 12-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Anonymous
Banned

So the vascar doesn't lock anything onto your car at all ?

It measures the police car's speed ?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:12 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

So the vascar doesn't lock anything onto your car at all ?
It measures the police car's speed ?
No, it cant "lock" on to your vehicle as such...........

.....and thats a BIG problem - beause it relys on the police car doing the SAME speed as you over the measured distance to get an accurate reading of your speed..........only after he's got the reading can he accererate and catch/pull you.

They can also use cue points like a shadow under a motorway bridge to start the measured distance, then as their car passes under the same bridge press "end" to make that the time/distance calculation - but even then their speed must be the same as yours to give an accurate reading of YOUR speed!
Old 12-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Dingy are you REALLY that stupid ? It measures YOUR speed . This is how it works. There are fixed points on the road such as lamposts, signs and the white squares in the middle of the road (that's what they're actually for ), that the rozzers know the distance between. What they then do is time YOU between these fixed points and as soon as the stop button is pressed, the Vascar does a simple time/distance calculation - busted.

The inaccuracy lays in the reaction time of the coppers (as has been pointed out) AND also if they are some distance behind you following you, it is difficult to accurately judge the EXACT point you pass the start and finish of the timed run.

However, if it is just 3 points, accept it, as the magistrates believe what-ever PC plod says, whether it is true or not. This is because the alterative is to believe that the rozzer in question is dishonest, and that doesn't sit well with a magistrate - they'd prefer to believe that it is the GP who are the liers...
Old 12-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Anonymous
Banned

so thats 2 views both not the same then LOL...

Mike, surely in this european driven law state you have to have evidence and 1 person's view is not enough to convict some one ?

You would need evidence which as far as i can see is one persons view from the same person configuring the machine.....seems a bit off to me..
Old 12-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Believe me, VASCAR will be accepted as evidence. The ONLY way you won't get done, is if he admits in court that it wasn't calibrated, as it MUST be calibrated at the start of every shift. This is done by checking the speed of the police car (with the VASCAR) through a known distance against it's calibrated speedo. If this ties up, - calibration checked, start catching speeding motorists.

This is where you "might" catch him out, as his daily records should record this test, but he may just say in court that he did the calibration check (which is routine) and because of the routine, forgot to note it. Do you want to take the risk of pleading not guilty and him saying what-ever is necessary to cover his arse and then you getting extra points and an increased fine?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Anonymous
Banned

why would you get an increased fine ?

All i did was ask questions.

The copper got as arsey as he could, I still don't understand how you can get done by somert that has no prove it was your car. That to me is not how the law works.

Thought evidence was required, and the fact that the vascar has no record of my car (physical record) then its a bit off.

Surely they can't increase it, just because you asked 2 basic questions ?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Steve,
If you go to court and plead not guilty, but still get found guilty, then your punishment is increased as a consequence, as it shows you have no remorse for your "crime" by trying to get away with it...
Old 12-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I got done by VASCAR

here is the scenario

M3, they were on a bridge, they radared and VASCAR'd me, I saw them and slowed down, as I went under the bridge they pulled onto the motorway by the time they caught up with me "apparently" the radar battery had gone flat

the radar read 102MPH (though I never saw this)
The VASCAR on dash read 99.79MPH NO video evidence, 2 coppers
they measured me over less than an 1/8 of a mile using a fixed point and a shadow of a bridge.

They issued me with a 3 point fixed penalty fine there and then IMO I think they felt thier case was shakey to say the least, hence the reason for no court appearance

As above I did some research and found when using a shadow it must be over MORE then 1/8 mile, I also found the traffic cops are REGULARLY assesed on thier hand eye co-ordination and tested on it to ensure a greater accuracy when they press the button as you pass 2 pre-measured points (they drive the road first inputting the 2 points they want to time you over ) BUT I sat down and did some sums, allowing for delays or overzelousness when pressing the buttons AND the shadow moving as the sun moves etc and even with the most extreme cases, couldnt get my calculated speed below 80MPH.... Which is still above the speed limit and is still 3 points

The other piece of information I found was, due to the training of a traffic cop, if he stood up in court and said IN HIS OPINION you were speeding, the Judge will accept his professional knowledge as proof!!!

Based on all the info I gathered, I thought it better to take the 3 points like a man .... and slow down from then on
Old 12-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

also, they calibrate the Gatso using the white dots on the road and thier speedo .... at the beginning of every shift, IIRC they can do a printout on the computer incar, detialing this no problem
Old 12-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Steve,
If you go to court and plead not guilty, but still get found guilty, then your punishment is increased as a consequence, as it shows you have no remorse for your "crime" by trying to get away with it...
Inocent until provern guilty.....with no proof then surely you can't be guilty?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

steve where you doing 90+ mph, we all suspect you were so was the copper right or were you actually going faster than he said .I can understand being miffed if you were doing 50 but we all doubt you were.Try to lokk at this way how many times have we all been driving at rediculous speeds and never been pulled.Occupational hazard of owning a fast car and driving it fast
Old 12-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Steve,
Have you not read ANYTHING people have put . You were VASCAR'd, that is the evidence that will be submitted. You're fucked .

If you have the finances to argue it out and can face the inceased consequences of being found guilty, go for it .
Old 12-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Anonymous
Banned

You could point the vascar at anything though THATS my point......

Its evidence that a car was doing x speed

Not a specific car - which is my point LOL
Old 12-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Same scenario as if a lazer gun is capped in yo arse . The fact that the orrificer in question said it was pointed at your car is all that is required. The police never lie (according to magistrate's views ), it is only the GP that do that .
Old 12-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

were you doing 90 if so what are yoy argueing about
Old 12-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

I haven't had a c*nt all night drinkstable
Old 12-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Damo V
also, they calibrate the Gatso using the white dots on the road and thier speedo .... at the beginning of every shift, IIRC they can do a printout on the computer incar, detialing this no problem
And that calibration is a load of bollocks as the calibration machine/system cannot be calibrated.

Police Radar detectors SHOULD be checked/calibrated for accuracy by each officer using them AT THE START OF EVERY SHIFT they are in use, this however does not happen as the system (check then paperwork) is too time consuming for the officers (up to an hour per shift) so generally gets done by a senior officer every few months.

Ask for a Calibration record/printout and a record of the system of the calibration machine/technique, YOU WILL WIN