General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO Demondave r.e my refund *NEW UPDATE 27/8*

Search this Thread

Old 14-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect the post office will say:

It was signed for, we delivered it, we didnt lose it, its none of our business.

Unless when it was delivered you refused to sign it until you opened it to inspect the contects?
Old 14-07-2005, 10:27 AM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Demondave
I was onlyt able to insure for £500. Perhaps pay a trip to your local PO and find out for your self. I will be contacting PO with reagrds to insurance. IU have prrof of deliver postage for the cash that was sent! But how can I be sure that money wasnt recvied ? I can understand that if it wasnt it is down to me to lose.
Bit late to be making plans to get proof of the cash being recieved now!
Bit shutting the gate after the horse has bolted imo
Dave if you were this other guy and the tables were turned would you believe any of this? I very much doubt it fella!
Old 14-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Phil
Jeebus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If he signed for an envelope that arrived open and empty then i'm not sure what can be done..?
Old 14-07-2005, 10:28 AM
B19-TRB
Professional Waffler

Well yea obviously spadge man! but least it would of been covered!
Old 14-07-2005, 10:30 AM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Phil
If he signed for an envelope that arrived open and empty then i'm not sure what can be done..?
Did he actually do that? I wouldn't have signed for an empty package and to be honest as it was handed over by the postman was a good time to record it as being empty in front of a PO employee!
Old 14-07-2005, 10:34 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

fookin scammer by the sounds of it - prob would have been safer to use ebay
Old 14-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Demondave
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

No your right spadge i probably wouldnt beleve it either.! But as said im happy to sort it out if I have the engine back and can claim at least £500 back! I sell lots of bits here and there I would never want to jepodise that position.! As a few mebers have said they have never had any problems with buying from me!
Old 14-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Anonymous
Banned

No your right spadge i probably wouldnt beleve it either.! But as said im happy to sort it out if I have the engine back and can claim at least £500 back! I sell lots of bits here and there I would never want to jepodise that position.! As a few mebers have said they have never had any problems with buying from me!

fair play to that mate.

Im sure everyone will agree that providing you sort it no one would ever have a problem buying from you
Old 14-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Demondave

I have been informed that the engine will be back this week! And I will now try to sort out the PO but not to sure how to go about claiming etc so will have to pay a visit to the local po to sort out.
Old 14-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Phil
Jeebus

The way it works with parcel companies is that if you sign for something then it is hard to claim it missing!

Damaged goods can be sorted afterwards though.

The big question is, did he know and agree to it being sent as cash and only insured for £500?

If he did not then the seller is in the wrong in a way, but he still should not have signed for the empty envelope.
Old 14-07-2005, 10:50 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

phil - how is the guy in abroad gonna know if the envelope is empty? For all he knows it culd be his refund or something else from someone else.
Old 14-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Demondave

Originally Posted by Phil
The way it works with parcel companies is that if you sign for something then it is hard to claim it missing!

Damaged goods can be sorted afterwards though.

The big question is, did he know and agree to it being sent as cash and only insured for £500?

If he did not then the seller is in the wrong in a way, but he still should not have signed for the empty envelope.
Yes he was aware that it had been sent that way!
Old 14-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Anonymous
Banned

My understanding is you are insuring it against the envelope going missing, ie they pay you 500 quid if they cant provide a signature to prove it got there, i dont think you can insure against it being empty when it arrives.
Old 14-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Phil
Jeebus

Originally Posted by R4N S S
phil - how is the guy in abroad gonna know if the envelope is empty? For all he knows it culd be his refund or something else from someone else.
He said when the envelope arrived it had been opened and was empty.
Old 14-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Demondave

Originally Posted by R4N S S
why sign for it if it was already open??? I know I check

a: to see what im signing for
B: to see if it is what its meant to be ?!
Old 14-07-2005, 11:08 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

If you want to claim through the Post Office, you have to contact their independant consumer group, Postwatch.

I'm going through it at the moment, and it's nothing but grief!
Old 14-07-2005, 11:09 AM
ON-UJAH
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

The guy in Holland provided his bank details (IBAN and BIC I expect) which is a sure sign that he wanted it transferred throught the bank. I expect he made this clear in an email as well.

There is also paypal which charge a few quid for international transfers, all done with a few emails!

It would be good to see the e-mail / PMs here in chronological order - then we can all know who said what and when.

If I were the guy in Holland, I'd wait a few weeks to see how things pan out, before hiring a debt collection agency in the UK to 'kindly request' the money back. Sure it will cost a few quid, but much easier, cheaper and quicker than the courts.

Thats what happens here in Germany - you'd be amazed what 10 tattooed ex-con boxers at a debtors house can arrange - even if it's only 30 quid a week. Over here they ask nicely and video the whole deal in case trouble kicks off. What they do on subsequent visits they don't mention.
Old 14-07-2005, 11:14 AM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Old 14-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by ON-UJAH
The guy in Holland provided his bank details (IBAN and BIC I expect) which is a sure sign that he wanted it transferred throught the bank. I expect he made this clear in an email as well.

There is also paypal which charge a few quid for international transfers, all done with a few emails!

It would be good to see the e-mail / PMs here in chronological order - then we can all know who said what and when.

If I were the guy in Holland, I'd wait a few weeks to see how things pan out, before hiring a debt collection agency in the UK to 'kindly request' the money back. Sure it will cost a few quid, but much easier, cheaper and quicker than the courts.

Thats what happens here in Germany - you'd be amazed what 10 tattooed ex-con boxers at a debtors house can arrange - even if it's only 30 quid a week. Over here they ask nicely and video the whole deal in case trouble kicks off. What they do on subsequent visits they don't mention.
wouldnt that work on random people who didnt owe you money too?
Old 14-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Demondave

Originally Posted by ON-UJAH

yes it has come light that he did forward his bank deatils. Be excuse me i didnt have a clue what the IBA and Bic were

I would of used paypal-But as said i did not have the funds ion my account or cc so was unable to do it that way. I took the risk of sending it in the post and expected that it would have arrived safe and secure. This looks not to be the case. But as I have already said i was unable to insure for £1500 (why would i noty if i could have ?) so I insured for the max i was allowred. It was safley wrapped with all 3 enveloipes beinmg selaead. Im happy to sort this out but im also happy for anyone to come and pay me a visit if they see fit!
Old 14-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Mark 3D

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You didnt have the funds in your bank!???

but you had £1500 cash in your hand? why didnt you pay the £1500 into your bank and then use Paypal or do a bank transfer?
Old 14-07-2005, 11:21 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Tax man probably!
Old 14-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Demondave

combination of both that and an overdrfat that once paid i wouldnt see it again!!!! Im sure quite a few people have more cash at home than in the bank!!
Old 14-07-2005, 11:29 AM
RinkyDinkyDoo
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

When a guy bought something from me, he tried sending a large amount through paypal, and it wouldnt let him and it took about 1 week to set the transaction up with paypal, so maybe that was the case.
I always stock pile cash rather than have it in a bank as theres times when you need a large amount of money and in todays banking its hard to draw out large amounts at short notice.

Fair play to dave for telling his side of the story
Old 14-07-2005, 11:30 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Dave,

Unfortunately, if you openly admit that you took the risk in sending it, then by the same token, you also admit that you are liable.
Old 14-07-2005, 11:34 AM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

At the end of the day Dave you still owe this guy the money and it was your fault he didn't receive it safely if/when you sent it! This can go on and on and on but that fact won't change will it. It does smell very fishy to me especialy when combined with the engine yo0u say you sent that was never received either! Can you not prove at least that you sent that when you say you did? and i for one wouldn't believe a word of it if i was on the receiving end and even if i did you would still owe me! If you as you say do a fair bit of business with people then this if not settled amicably will no doubt greatly affect that after all would you buy from you having read this? I know i wouldn't! Do the right thing and give the geezer his money and if you ever send large sums of money via the postal service again then at least make sure you can prove A you did send it and B what you sent was what was expected!
Old 14-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Spadge, we must be reading different threads, cause to me this one says Dave knows it was his fuckup and he is going to put it right, but the way you are banging on sounds the oppsite.
Old 14-07-2005, 11:39 AM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Spadge, we must be reading different threads, cause to me this one says Dave knows it was his fuckup and he is going to put it right, but the way you are banging on sounds the oppsite.
Banging on Just giving my oppinion as to what i am reading and the excuses contained therein Sorry if you don't like my posts on this subject and kindly fook off and read someone elses if they offend!
Old 14-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Im not offended, just cant see what you are replying to.

as far as i can see he has said:
It WAS his fault
He WILL pay the guy again
He accepts he will lose money
Old 14-07-2005, 11:46 AM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Im not offended, just cant see what you are replying to.

as far as i can see he has said:
It WAS his fault
He WILL pay the guy again
He accepts he will lose money
As far as i can see he has no proof to back-up his apparent run of bad luck as regards delivery of the engine and the money disapearing! So what i would want to know if i was on the receiving end is has this person attempted to con me out of 1500 quid or have they really been this unlucky??? If its the latter then i would like to see some proof and when will i get my cash after all its your responsiblity to pay it regardless of your misfortune! And if its the former thats a whole different kettle of fish
I have no idea who if anyone has been dishonest here i just say it as i see it!
Old 14-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Fair enough Spadge.

Must admit if i was Demon Dave i would be wondering if the guy stuck the money in his pocket and then claimed not to have seen it.

But then again, i wouldnt send 1500 quid in the first place by post, so i will just sit on my high horse and enjoy the view
Old 14-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Demondave

Yes I have admitted perhaps I shouldnt have sent it in th epost but as I have done so many times befoer and never had a problem i didnt see why this should be any different.

As soon as the egine returns and I have had a chnace to spek to th epo to see where i stand then Yes I will refund. But what i cant do is offer a full refund untill i havecvied the engine etc and at least know theres a chnace of getting atleast £500 back from cash sent already!

Im happy to resolve this but not untill im clear exactly what im able to get back! As said the engine should be here before the weekend and by then i hope to have spoke to the po!
Old 14-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Dan_L

Howcome the engine got returned back to the Uk? Can you not just resend that back to the buyer and sort the money out yourself because to be honest I don't think you have much of a chance of getting £500 back through Royal Mail especially as the package was actually signed for. They must have some procedure that makes it hard to claim for cash once the envelope was signed for otherwise lots of people would be sending empty envelopes and putting a claim in saying there was £x amount of money in there that didn't arrive.
Old 14-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Dan_L

On another note perhaps if you give the buyer the name of the company you originally sent the engine with and the tracking number then he can see for himself that a large item was sent to him originally. It may help put his trust back in you if he can actually see you did send the engine.
Old 14-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Mark 3D

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much more we can all say on the matter then really, If Dave says he is going to sort a refund out then that is more than fair aslong as he does so!!

Johan: keep us all informed as to how this goes but do give Dave these extra few days to get the money back to you.
Old 14-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Demondave

So u sugest that I send him the engine back? Which would then leave me without an engine and £1500 down. Read the post Im happy to sort things out once its returned to me and ive spoken to PO
Old 14-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Demondave

I have no tracking number and he has already had the name of the company!.

But again it will be sorted one way or another But i don not intend on refuninding again untill i know atleast i have an engine back and able to claim somthing back from PO.
Old 14-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Dan_L

So u sugest that I send him the engine back? Which would then leave me without an engine and £1500 down. Read the post Im happy to sort things out once its returned to me and ive spoken to PO
You wouldn't be without an engine and £1500 down. You just wouldn't have the engine as you only started off with that. You didnt start off with £1500 and an engine and now have neither.
Old 14-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Demondave

but if he has the enigne i wouldnt have £1500 would I? as at the mo i have no engine and he apprantly has no £1500

Quick Reply: FAO Demondave r.e my refund *NEW UPDATE 27/8*