General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO Tuners RE N/A Zetec work...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 12:09 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO Tuners RE N/A Zetec work...

Been reading up on tuning the Zetec lump for when I put it into the XR2.

Seems easy enough and with decent size carbs (45's seem to be the recommended size... juicy ) and some cams the standard engine should see about 160-170bhp.

Should be to bad in a car that weighs about 800kg (but I am sure i'll managed to get some more weight out of it some how )

But where can you go from tuning the engine from there? Or should I say what would be the best "route" for tuning it? 160-170 is good for a N/A, but I think I'm gonna want more very quickly.

So what can I do, how much will it cost and how much power should I get?

Over to you guys
Old 01-07-2005, 12:14 PM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

I'm going N/A Zetec in my XR2.

Personally, I'm going for 2.0 on 45 Throttle Bodies, I have been guaranteed 165bhp from this, and I'm getting cams, so should more than 170 I'd like to think.

TB's & management = £1200 + VAT, then whatever on top of that.

For more, then your looking at headwork, crazy cams (read undrivable at low revs), the usual stuff for N/A tuning really.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:15 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mate realistically your looking at 150ish bhp with just a set of carbs on.

On a NA zetec tuning is fucking expensive.

Out of a series 1/2 zetec you can get about 250bhp as a NA engine but thats going serious amount of headwork etc etc and would cost you thousands.

Ask freakpower on FT mate. He's got a mental NA 2.1 on the way.

N/A tuning a zetec is a waste of money in my opinion. I spent long enough considering it myself!
Old 01-07-2005, 12:33 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

No I aint seen that actually

And I aint going alpha, all that expence for just for better fuel economy, be better off just strapping on a XR2i wiring loom and plugging in the fuel injection, cant really see that giving much more power for what they are selling for...
Old 01-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dunell is a good company to look at for N/A zetec tuning.

with their managment and TB's its 175 BHP out of the box.

Get a set of their cams and new rob bolts and your looking at 215.

not loads of money either if your gonna do some of the work your self.

check out

www.dunnell.com

good luck mate. my dad has the 215bhp kit on his zetec and it drives wicked and pulls very nice.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stu ya need to speak to cowboi on here, he lives round the corner from you too in cin highams park

his old man has a 2.0 dax rush on aftermarket management cams ect and its ment to be round the 200bhp mark, its a car that weighs fook all untill cowboi sits in it aswel

but thats a seriously good option if ya gonna take ya time and ditch the carb and manifold unless ya get one cheep

ask cowboi who the aftermarket is made by as there customer service is shit hot and told his old man alot about how to tune it up ect, they also seem toi be one of the few companys that are good enough to fault find based on what ya tell em over the phone

thats why i sugested a 2.0 mondeo lump, oh and cowboi can also weld the engine mount up for ya as the smart fooker is a engineer for the royal mint ( his a rich fooker too )
Old 01-07-2005, 12:41 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

But!!! I am trying to avoid the management route and stick to carbs... I'm lazy and carbs are just easier
Old 01-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800
Advanced PassionFord User

Ive got the following spec.

Raceline 190/200 head
Raceline RL200 Matching cams
Raceline Decked block 11.01 compression
ARP Con Rod bolts
Uprated Valve Springs
Trust Electrical Exhaust Manifold
Dunnel Lightened and balanced Flywheel
Vibratec gearbox mounts
B&M Short shift kit
BMC Carbon Fibre forced induction kit
Magnex full system incl de-cat with 4 inch backbox

Cost a fair bit of wedge but its well worth it i reckon. I manged a 0-60 of 6.8 down brunters and a 15 something qtr. Thats without the car being mapped , was running a std clutch which slipped alot, and it was pretty wet. So its got alot more init especially when i finally get it mapped by stu and sort a better inlet out for it.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

stu what im saying is if ya want more power the option to make it reliable is to bin the carbs mate , carbs are cool but a fooker to keep in tune

ya need to add management for the spark anyway, if the carbs aint cheep with the manifold then get thottle boddies and aftermarket and will sould a shit load better too, the improve the top end though !!!!, means ya also dont need totally shite cams for general driving

when ya get the engoine and mount pop round and ill get cowboi to wled it for a drink for ya
Old 01-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Raceline 190/200 head
ARP Con Rod bolts
Uprated Valve Springs
Vibratec gearbox mounts
B&M Short shift kit

Cost a fair bit of wedge but its well worth it i reckon. I manged a 0-60 of 6.8 down brunters and a 15 something qtr. Thats without the car being mapped , was running a std clutch which slipped alot, and it was pretty wet. So its got alot more init especially when i finally get it mapped by Stu and sort a better inlet out for it.

fooking hell, all that effort for a zetec engine, i know its your choice but i would seriously just get a tuned turbo engine and lob it in there

stu wants a generaly reliable and cheep conversion i belive for a fun car with a nice power band, your going for a quick quarter car,,,,,,,,, lob a turbo in it imo
Old 01-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by b19bal
Stu ya need to speak to cowboi on here, he lives round the corner from you too in cin highams park

his old man has a 2.0 dax rush on aftermarket management cams ect and its ment to be round the 200bhp mark, its a car that weighs fook all untill cowboi sits in it aswel

but thats a seriously good option if ya gonna take ya time and ditch the carb and manifold unless ya get one cheep

ask cowboi who the aftermarket is made by as there customer service is shit hot and told his old man alot about how to tune it up ect, they also seem toi be one of the few companys that are good enough to fault find based on what ya tell em over the phone

thats why i sugested a 2.0 mondeo lump, oh and cowboi can also weld the engine mount up for ya as the smart fooker is a engineer for the royal mint ( his a rich fooker too )
beat ya to it ginge.

but cheers for the nice words. well except the bit about me makin it heavy.

i was driving it for about 20 minutes the other day. i just didnt wanna get out. and the best bit was i flew past the police touching nearly a ton and they didnt even turn to chase me. I love the scotish police and country roads! he lives about 10 minutes from knock hill so one day we could all go up for a weekend and go round the track.

but back to the engine. 215bhp and it drives great. if u can afford it. i'd go for the TB's route. probably save ya money on the petrol bills too.
they also sound nice.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:53 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Raceline 190/200 head
ARP Con Rod bolts
Uprated Valve Springs
Vibratec gearbox mounts
B&M Short shift kit

Cost a fair bit of wedge but its well worth it i reckon. I manged a 0-60 of 6.8 down brunters and a 15 something qtr. Thats without the car being mapped , was running a std clutch which slipped alot, and it was pretty wet. So its got alot more init especially when i finally get it mapped by Stu and sort a better inlet out for it.
My old Fiesta did 15.7 - 15.9 all day long!!

That was only a 1.8 with a few bits
Old 01-07-2005, 12:56 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stu burtons fo the carb kit for 1600+VAT or the throttle bodies are 1950+vat (off the top of my head prices)

Even with carbs you need ignition only managment - and I know your always skint so why dont you try going single carb using MegaSquirt spark mangment?

A 3.0 Capri carb should do the trick

Just an idea. Cheaper than going twins etc etc - but regardless what you do you will need spark managment,
Old 01-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

he lives about 10 minutes from knock hill so one day we could all go up for a weekend and go round the track.

what all of us get towed by the AA and then get towed home again

the only reliaboe car is your MG and thats yellow
Old 01-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Raceline 190/200 head
ARP Con Rod bolts
Uprated Valve Springs
Vibratec gearbox mounts
B&M Short shift kit

fooking hell, all that effort for a zetec engine, i know its your choice but i would seriously just get a tuned turbo engine and lob it in there

Stu wants a generaly reliable and cheep conversion i belive for a fun car with a nice power band, your going for a quick quarter car,,,,,,,,, lob a turbo in it imo
Yea i did consider going turbo instead. But as it my every day car i didnt wanna go turbo as its just more stuff to go wrong and they are much easier to break and more expensive to fix . So i decided a mildly tuned na would do the job nicely which it has been doing and drives perfect in traffic . Once its all mapped and the new inlet sorted it should go really well especially as ive got the quaife diff and zoo lower arms to put all the power down . I rekcon it will do a low 6 easily and still give me 200 miles to a tank.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

think stu knows that simon ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, as he asked about how to fit a dissy to the zetec engine in another post

MSD ( not stu but the igniton people) make a spark management that aint alot of cash and not a bodge

throttles though i would deffo go for an not fook about with burtons prices either

infact speak to fugeass as he has throttles on his zetec engine that never cost alot as hes a tight fooker aswell

hes breaking his so might be forsale, i can help ya fit the management if ya worried about it
Old 01-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Originally Posted by SimonT

Raceline 190/200 head
ARP Con Rod bolts
Uprated Valve Springs
Vibratec gearbox mounts
B&M Short shift kit

My old Fiesta did 15.7 - 15.9 all day long!!

Yea yours was rs1800 spec wernt it. Thats some good times for the spec. Was it stripped out?

Im building another fiesta at the mo as a track car and im gonna strip that proper. Still deciding whether to go rwd or not yet. But its defo gonna be a zetec engine with a few cheap tweaks and maybe a charger if we can get the bits together dert cheap

That was only a 1.8 with a few bits
Old 01-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by "Sunil_FiestaRS1800
Yea i did consider going turbo instead. But as it my every day car i didnt wanna go turbo as its just more stuff to go wrong and they are much easier to break and more expensive to fix .

so so so true, espicially when not treated right.
im sure u dont fancy letting it warm up and cool down every morning as well.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:02 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've seen OMEX do igintion only managment for about 300 if I remember right.
How much is MSD's?

Im still thinking of building a megasquirt unit just for the hell of it. Need another fiesta first! Still regretting selling the trck car for 500 quid
Old 01-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

he lives about 10 minutes from knock hill so one day we could all go up for a weekend and go round the track.

what all of us get towed by the AA and then get towed home again

the only reliaboe car is your MG and thats yellow
i'll let u carry ur engine up the stairs shall i.

infact i dont really wanna drive a yellow car to the ghetto so i better stay at home 2 mora.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

I rekcon it will do a low 6 easily and still give me 200 miles to a tank.
my cosie does 250mile to a tank, 300 if im gentle

but i understand what ya mean, i PERSONALLY would goe for a standard internals engine and blot stuff like throttles to it and when it blows buy a new one for 150 quid , thats why i would go NA, infact i might add one to the green skip as that engine is starting to die

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm got me thinking now
Old 01-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

I rekcon it will do a low 6 easily and still give me 200 miles to a tank.
my cosie does 250mile to a tank, 300 if im gentle

but i understand what ya mean, i PERSONALLY would goe for a standard internals engine and blot stuff like throttles to it and when it blows buy a new one for 150 quid , thats why i would go NA, infact i might add one to the green skip as that engine is starting to die

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm got me thinking now
Your tank is gonna be a fair bit bigger than my little fiesta one though
Old 01-07-2005, 01:05 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Pretty much RS1800 spec mate + a few other little bits - and yeah it was stirpped out
Old 01-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

cowboi nooooooooooooo or ill set dan on ya

but now im thinking about a N/A zetec for the cabrio, mmmmmm better get the cossie done as that could be a nice easy project

PS; do some work as you need to print loads of cash that im gonna be earning soon
Old 01-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

thats a class idea, rs1800 engine in me efi cabrio,

you simon are the man . not i gotta get the stuff for it to fit
Old 01-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Originally Posted by SimonT
Pretty much RS1800 spec mate + a few other little bits - and yeah it was stirpped out
What were the other little bits then mate? I heard you can adjust the timing on the 130 ps cams and get a good return cant remeber who told me though.

Id like to strip mine out but i love my tunes to much and its noisy enough as it is for a road car
Old 01-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MadMac

But!!! I am trying to avoid the management route and stick to carbs... I'm lazy and carbs are just easier
same here.. my standard 2.0 did 172 bhp on twin 45s in its old car, with the only other changes being stuff like dunnel flywheel and sump, raceline water rail, and emarld ecu. I'm advised cams will see about 200 but I'd be sacrificing low down torque apparently.

If I was gonna spend proper money on an NA engine I'd be going Duratec HE for sure.. how does 290 bhp out of a 2.5 duratec on TBs sound? £7,500 I've been told by someone who should know!
Old 01-07-2005, 01:12 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

OK All I had done was:

EGR system removed
2.0 Throttle Body
2.0 MAF
2.0 Cams
Full scorpian cat back exhaust
Very early 92' rs1800 ECU plus some sort of chip

Used the standard airbox as well with a K&N panel filter.

Dave "Nomad" now owns the car - he got him self a bargin there. I really want another one but like you I love my tunes. The grandad motor I got at the moment is quiet cozy etc but its no fun like the fiesta was

Not having a drive or garage makes life difficult when trying to build a decent motor - plus I live in a s**t hole area! Still I'll give it a go. Maybe.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

how does 290 bhp out of a 2.5 duratec on TBs sound? £7,500 I've been told by someone who should know!
sounds like 3 door cossie money to me mate

or RX7 money for a really revvy engine
Old 01-07-2005, 01:13 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Markb_s1
Originally Posted by MadMac

same here.. my standard 2.0 did 172 bhp on twin 45s in its old car, with the only other changes being stuff like dunnel flywheel and sump, raceline water rail, and emarld ecu. I'm advised cams will see about 200 but I'd be sacrificing low down torque apparently.

If I was gonna spend proper money on an NA engine I'd be going Duratec HE for sure.. how does 290 bhp out of a 2.5 duratec on TBs sound? £7,500 I've been told by someone who should know!
Montune build a 300bhp 2.0 Duratec for 10 grand.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

plus I live in a s**t hole area!
mate ya gotta pop round mine one day and understand what a shit hole is, im rebuilding me cossie engine in the street here

and rudey had his MENTAL S2 on a council estate before and was actually looked after

the thieve go to the suburbs to rob the cars these days and strip em in the shit holes
Old 01-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

how does 290 bhp out of a 2.5 duratec on TBs sound? £7,500 I've been told by someone who should know!
sounds like 3 door cossie money to me mate

or RX7 money for a really revvy engine

true, but the duratec doesn't double as a boat anchor like a cossie lump can, and isn't a rotary with pretty expensive servicing costs.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:31 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I live in Brockley mate, right next to Peckham & New-Cross!!

Unless you live on Seven Sisters Road you got it easy!
Old 01-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i live off seven sisters road , where andover estate is and 3 acre estate is aswell, but im just behind them and i went to schooll with em so im just as much a tosser as them
Old 01-07-2005, 01:48 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i live off seven sisters road , where andover estate is and 3 acre estate is aswell, but im just behind them and i went to schooll with em so im just as much a tosser as them
I Feel for you mate!

Remember that club called "Pleasure Rooms" up by Bruce Grove? Came out of there one night and feel asleep on the steeps at Seven Sister tube! Its amazing I survived the night - whats even more amazing is I woke up with a load of change around me someone had thrown down thinking i was homeless!

Old 01-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

thats the other end of the road mate, im not in tottenham

im in finsbury park
Old 01-07-2005, 01:59 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Still bad enough!!

Old 01-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ginge u and ur ghetto. ha ha

i'll be there 2mora. i got a little toy to help us out as well.

and about me doing some work. i dont feel like it right now.

maybe monday.

Quick Reply: FAO Tuners RE N/A Zetec work...