General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

PAY AS YA GO DRIVING !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PAY AS YA GO DRIVING !!!!!

cant belive theres not a post about it yet

being forced to use country roads or pay more money, what fooking chance i got living on central london , gonna got me 20 quid to get to the nearest to drive back

i cant belive this is another thing thats gonna happen

why not just ban more than 1 car per household or offer cheeper tax for people who use the car in th evening

good thing is ya can leave the box at home
Old 05-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Zetec Andy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it does happen they better lower the price of petrol and abolish or reduce car tax
Old 05-06-2005, 09:53 PM
DOO
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you prob save money your cars off the road more than you use it

Can`t see it happening though
Old 05-06-2005, 09:54 PM
james_birch
PassionFord Post Whore!!

they will rid tax on fuel and car tax if this scheme goes ahead! i think it should cover insurance too!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

you prob save money your cars off the road more than you use it
my car works, its off the road as i never drive it

was using it on thursday actually

wont save money though as i gotta use the runabout and that does 30k miles a year
Old 05-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Urban Legend
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

ban more than 1 car per house hold?? that will leave me messed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 10:04 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm all in favour of this, IF:
1. Fuel duty is abolished COMPLETELY.
2. Road tax as above.
Will make those who use the roads more pay more,isn't that fair? Also stop all the wankers getting away without paying road tax. But as the 2 above things will never happen,i'll be as pissed off as everyone else if it comes in.

How the hell will it be controlled???
Old 05-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
ban more than 1 car per house hold?? that will leave me messed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah but cam only one is ever on the road in your house hold as all or ya are turing the world at seperate times ya looky fookers
Old 05-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

btw i ment as in 1 oper family, not including kids but if me and the missus shared a car and all the country did then we would cut it by 20%
Old 05-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Zetec Andy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by b19bal
btw i ment as in 1 oper family, not including kids but if me and the missus shared a car and all the country did then we would cut it by 20%
Yeah but it doesnt work that way, theres 3 cars in our houshold at the moment, two of them being mine

Plus if more people got the bus they would only put there bus fares up, its part of being in rip-off britain
Old 05-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

andy read what i write !!!

only 1 car allowed to be used same idea as the rest permit, so ya could own 500 cars but only use 1 at a time

in the case of couples, 2 cars are not needed and tbh people could use just 1 car !!!!, drop ya ,missus off of she drops you off or use the bus but after work ya can BOTH be in the 1 car again and go on holiday ect

see my point

or just fit a kill switch to the box and leave it in the boot
Old 05-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Urban Legend

hows that work if ur misses don't live in the same direction? i could neva car share, im to selfish. apart from that its damn inpractical
Old 05-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What nobody has considered is - tracking device in every car = automatic, computer controlled speeding fines. No more cameras, less speed cops etc BUT no more speeding!
If they made motorways say 155mph under the new scheme with reductions for adverse weather etc I could possibly be persuaded its a positive thing.

Cam
Old 05-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

How about getting rid of the Road tax and incorporating the tax into what we pay already for fuel.
Now thats pay as you go, the less you go, the less you pay, the more you go the more you pay.

PS - I do 50k plus miles a year in the taxi before anyone harps up about the mile munchers getting stung
Old 05-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

whatever happens, the government are gonna butt fuck the tax paying public in some way

this isn't a democracy in this country, just what pompous wankers sat in their chauffered Jags think is right
Old 06-06-2005, 09:20 AM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Big G
How about getting rid of the Road tax and incorporating the tax into what we pay already for fuel.
Now thats pay as you go, the less you go, the less you pay, the more you go the more you pay.

PS - I do 50k plus miles a year in the taxi before anyone harps up about the mile munchers getting stung
Thats not a bad idea actually, or even better why fix something that not broken!?

imho i pay enough tax as it is to be allowed to drive my car, i should be allowed to drive it when i like where i like!

It's not like the roads are shit hot eaither, most are falling apart
Old 06-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I dont think it could ever work as iam pretty sure a tracker can not be fitted to a privite car because it breches the privecy laws
Old 06-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

there's definitely a human rights issue with this imo.

they'll have ot go some before i let anyone fit a black box in my car... plus what's to stop me ripping it out and wiring it to a spare battery and leaving it in my garage?
Old 06-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Markb_s1
there's definitely a human rights issue with this imo.

they'll have ot go some before i let anyone fit a black box in my car... plus what's to stop me ripping it out and wiring it to a spare battery and leaving it in my garage?
Id imagine it would become part of the procedure when you get pulled?

I.e. the traffics would check it along with tyres/lights etc etc..?

Fucking con though, all part of living in rip off britain, scheming goverments, and money hungry politicians.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:45 AM
wes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam
What nobody has considered is - tracking device in every car = automatic, computer controlled speeding fines. No more cameras, less speed cops etc BUT no more speeding!
If they made motorways say 155mph under the new scheme with reductions for adverse weather etc I could possibly be persuaded its a positive thing.

Cam
Thats the 1st thing i thought of when i read about tracking devices. Sales of wire cutters may go up, i might buy some shares

I'm all for pay as you go as long as the tax on petrol and road tax is abolished, seems fair to me, if you use the roads more, then you should pay more than someone who only drives occasionally IMO.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Default Re: PAY AS YA GO DRIVING !!!!!

:
There was yesterday

As said if fuel tax and road tac was complety abolished then it might be a good thing imo.

But will have to see all the facts they state as they havent really given you hard figures of what taxs will be cut and exactley what type/time the roads will be charged at etc. Only then will i make my mind up about it.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:40 AM
~Vix~
Advanced PassionFord User

not everyoe can car share though...my mum and dad both drive around for their jobs, in completely different places...they could never share a car. And I work at different times to them so I need my car too...

It'll probably never happen anyway...
Old 06-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Phil
Jeebus

Remember, if you didn't have to have a tax disc, there would be a lot more people driving round without MOT or insurance as you have to show these to get tax.

Obviously it doesn't stop the jobsworth twats who don't want to be legal but it sorts us lazy lot out with checking the MOT is up to date etc.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

but it sorts us lazy lot out with checking the MOT is up to date etc.
thats a good point unless ya tax ya car every 6 months

not everyoe can car share though...my mum and dad both drive around for their jobs, in completely different places
i think thats the point of the problem though !!!, how far are there places to and from work, people drive to work when they copuld take a bus or ride a bike as there lazy

if its 2 miles buy a bike, cars are not a needed form of transport, if the car breaks down do any of you call in sick till its repaired ????

the problem, is the country is over croweded, they need to control the over crowding first imo as thats not helping

london is over crowded for the roads, what they do though is make the places to live smaller and then complain when cars are still too big

the transport system is crap, rather than fix it then force people off the road

res parking is a way of solving it, so is the congestion charge,road tax,fuel prices

now heres a good point im thinking of, if they aint working they why not scrap them

ok heres a silly one that might work, only allow new cars to be made, imported when a car is taken off the road and scrapped

that way theres no over crowding of the roads !!!!, no more and if there is over crowding then every 2 cars build 1 car

or treat car tax like concert tickets, only issue a certain amount per day , ya run out ya cant use the car

there are loads of ways but the only one they can think of improves revenue as people will pay the prices !!!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

I Bloody missed this one! Fook me, will have to keep and eye out, I do 20k a year just to get to and from work!
Old 06-06-2005, 01:16 PM
RsToy
PassionFord Post Troll

deffinatly think that the less your on the road the less you should pay.....i do 3000 miles a year and the wife around 6000 a year......and apart from petrol we pay the same amount of road tax as someone doing 50k a year.......if i could save money then its for the better imo.

b19bal.....i do 2.5 miles to work....are you suggesting i should sell my rs and bike it instead.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:21 PM
JimRS

good thing is ya can leave the box at home
It wont happen, there all gonna know that mostly everyone will rip the dam thing out anyways
Old 06-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

you arer not gonna save money, if ya use main roads, the ones we are told to use hence why they fit speed bumps on the side roads you pay 1.32 a mile, wheres the saving against 160 quid a year road tax ??
Old 06-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ok heres a silly one that might work, only allow new cars to be made, imported when a car is taken off the road and scrapped

that way theres no over crowding of the roads !!!!, no more and if there is over crowding then every 2 cars build 1 car
but what do you propose to do for population control then ginge?
Cos sure as hell more people are being born than are dying... not to mention the fact that old people are living longer!!

Does this mean that if I give my old banger to my son to drive when he passes 17 I can't get another car until someone with one dies? Or does it just mean he has to wait til someone dies to get a car?
Old 06-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Originally Posted by Rhys

:
There was yesterday

As said if fuel tax and road tac was complety abolished then it might be a good thing imo.

But will have to see all the facts they state as they havent really given you hard figures of what taxs will be cut and exactley what type/time the roads will be charged at etc. Only then will i make my mind up about it.
I thank you

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1783807

Ginge. Turn the computer off and go do something more profitable with your time.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:51 PM
RaVeR
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

What would be more logical than this stupid idea is add more tolls and abolish tax'd fuel and cut the price of road tax
Old 06-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

interesting

personnally I really cant see this happening...

Did anyone see the example route that they showed on the news, going from 1 place to another?? I forget the route now tho.. but going motorway route costs well over 200 quid, and B roads was 40 quid I think...

Think about all the small towns etc.. the problem will just be passed to different areas...

there is no way this will be enforced... surely.. as well as privicy act

Notice how this wasnt mentioned during the election..???

cheeky cunts
Old 06-06-2005, 05:10 PM
wildheart
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It would be great for people like me that live in the country side miles away from any shops or petrol stations
Old 06-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Notice how this wasnt mentioned during the election..???

cheeky *****
Fookin right mate, good point!
Old 06-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

It will be a cold day in hell before I let some government tosser fit anything to my cars. They'll need to prise the keys from my cold dead hands

Politicians are thieving no good bastards. At least Dick Turpin had the courtesy to wear a mask
Old 06-06-2005, 06:03 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i don't think it's a bad idea.

the problem that you've got, is localised overcrowding (it's not the whole country that is overcrowded by any means). obviously it's mostly centred around london, but also the other major cities. this causes traffic chaos, pollution high house prices, etc, etc. the list goes on.

what needs to be done is a central government policy to get the population to spread out again. there are vast areas of the country with very few people living in them. in most cases, that is because there is no work there. what needs to happen is incentives for businesses to start up somewhere else, and in this day and age, that should be possible with most businesses that are in the service industry rather than manufacturing. i mean, why does a call centre need to be in the southeast? they don't, that's why most are in fucking india now, but why couldn't they be in south wales, or yorkshire or somewhere where millions of people are out of work?

and what about dole scum? why can't they be farmed out to cheap council houses somewhere, rather than living in overcrowded areas?

this scheme would not penalise those that do live in the countryside, as the taxation level on such empty roads would be low. if it can drive a shift in peoples living, working and driving habits, i'm all for it.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
i don't think it's a bad idea.

the problem that you've got, is localised overcrowding (it's not the whole country that is overcrowded by any means). obviously it's mostly centred around london, but also the other major cities. this causes traffic chaos, pollution high house prices, etc, etc. the list goes on.

what needs to be done is a central government policy to get the population to spread out again. there are vast areas of the country with very few people living in them. in most cases, that is because there is no work there. what needs to happen is incentives for businesses to start up somewhere else, and in this day and age, that should be possible with most businesses that are in the service industry rather than manufacturing. i mean, why does a call centre need to be in the southeast? they don't, that's why most are in fucking india now, but why couldn't they be in south wales, or yorkshire or somewhere where millions of people are out of work?

and what about dole scum? why can't they be farmed out to cheap council houses somewhere, rather than living in overcrowded areas?

this scheme would not penalise those that do live in the countryside, as the taxation level on such empty roads would be low. if it can drive a shift in peoples living, working and driving habits, i'm all for it.
thats totally what i was thinking today, there is soo much unused space that could be filled quicker and that wopuld solve the prob for the first few decades

then ofcouse we run out of space but i wanna be dead when that happens
Old 06-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil
Remember, if you didn't have to have a tax disc, there would be a lot more people driving round without MOT or insurance as you have to show these to get tax.
I visited a poverty ridden 3rd world country this year, in the windscreens of all vehicles they have 3 little stickers showing the expiry date of the equivelant to our Road Tax, Insurance and MOT, Howcome we cant have the same simple system.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Putting the tax on fuel is a simple way to make those doing the most miles pay more, but as stated the problem is localised and simple fuel tax won't care if you are doing 10 miles in a quiet country road or stuck in a jam in the city.

I don't fancy big brother being able to track my driving speed and my location all day every day. Who knows who else can see that info - imagine the people finding significant others playing away rather than working late, or being in bed when they should be out working?

The privacy/human rights thing has already been defeated in court and is no longer a defence - Scottish Water suspected an employee of falsifying time sheets so got a private eye to stake out his home for a week gathering video evidence before firing him. The bloke appealed claiming invasion of privacy and family life but the court held that the gathering of info in this way was not disproportionate to the individuals behaviour.

Electronic tolling combined with toll booths has to pay the way forward. Then they only know when I pass the barriers.

Quick Reply: PAY AS YA GO DRIVING !!!!!