General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

I've just seen an accident :( - Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 03:25 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default I've just seen an accident :( - Questions?

Driving along on a main road, I pass a side turning on the left with a small Royal Mail van waiting to turn out onto the road I'm on.

Just after I've passed the turning I see a bike is coming towards me at a rate, look in the mirror to see that the van pulled out and the bike is now snaking around before ditching it and going into the back of a parked car

So I go back and the guy is on the road with a right nasty gash and break on his leg just below the knee - not nice. It didn't look like anything major anywhere else and he was making a fair bit of noise so hopefully he will be OK.

Now here's the question - Just before this point I had been giving the Cos some beans, but had seen the van in the distance, even though there was another van and a couple of cars parked on my side of the road before the turning, and slowed down thinking he might pull out on me. So does that make me a hypocrit for telling the police that I had seen it, and that the bike was not hanging around? What would you have done?

I couldn't help but think that the biker might try to blame the van, end up with him up on driving without due care, loosing his job and so on. Oh yeah, and my next insurance renewal funding a big personal injury claim

What was quite nice to know is that I had without really thinking, seen the hazard in good time and slowed down, just such a shame the bike hadn't done the same.

Was my first go at directing traffic though

Some dozy bint nearly drove into the front of the ambulance that was coming the other way because she wanted to get a good look at the guy led on the floor.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you tell the police exactly what you saw, only stating the facts. your OPINION on whos fault it was etc. is irrelevant, it's THEIR job to sort that out.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

say nothng at all and then we will all be safe, could have easily been you that had that crash and a old woman balming the boyracer for givign some when you was driving at a normal pace and the other guy pulled out not looking !!!!

morale of the story is "say nothing" even if ya did
Old 06-05-2005, 03:41 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

pmsl @ ginge

Steve - good on ya for stopping and helping out altho im not sure what I would have told the coppers tho.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:49 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by b19bal
say nothng at all and then we will all be safe, could have easily been you that had that crash and a old woman balming the boyracer for givign some when you was driving at a normal pace and the other guy pulled out not looking !!!!
Eh? Saying what I did was so that the wrong person doesn't get blamed
Old 06-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

no the point i was making is let the old bill decide whos to blame and say nothing that way they dont have a copulded judgement and ya not helping the dirty slags called old bill

no offence to you, i fooking hate me most the time

you will go to heaven even quicker if the guy on the bike weas a hells angel

sorry but i got brought up to only talk to the police IF its to get away with it

not all criminals are guilty as with no statment from other people they would not get convicted

oh and royal mail DO NOT HAVE INSURANCE, they have a bond with the government so they dont require to pay it, same as BT

you may have saved a penny increase on the price of stamps
Old 06-05-2005, 04:11 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

say what you saw mate, and thats it!
i think the simple fact is EVERYone speeds at some point or other,
(the bike sounds like it was) not matter what car you in..
so no, your no more of a hypocrit than ANYone else who says
'the bike might of been goin to fast'
every road user does it.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

BUT if ya said, sorry mate i was asleep officer or "no english, sury" then ya would beable to sleep at night

sorry not talking about your case but i fooking hate it when theres a accident and mr's smith from on the way to collect her benifit fom the post office gives a frame by frame reconstruction and mentions the speed the car was doing as the old bat is used to traveling in the "special blue bus" to her bingo and has nothing better to do with her life to fills her time telling the police who either listen to her to convict a inocent man who mad a breif mistake or ignore her as they wanna nick the other guy as theyn dont like him and thinks if he takes it easy on the bird the inocent smile shes doing means that he will finally get laid without the use of sugical gloves

im not bitter though
Old 06-05-2005, 04:19 PM
churchy
Advanced PassionFord User

Location: Out Shooting Burgelers, cause thats what Norfolk people do!!!

If they ask you anything, tell the truth from the start, cause it will only cause problems later on if you don't.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

If they ask you anything, tell the truth from the start, cause it will only cause problems later on if you don't.

yes officer all 14 kilos of that charlie was with intent to sell outside the local primary schools if only they had enough money to pay for it

or another one
no the jeans dont make ya bum look big, your a fat bitch thats why it looks big and when ya wear the other jeans you look jsut as fat\

or even

"no its not that bird from the pub who gave me her number, i stopped banging her last week, thas was ya mum who asked if i could sneek out and fuck her up the arse again"

see i clearly disagree on that comment churchy

Old 06-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

so rudey in a nut shell

dont say anything
Old 06-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

realisation is carry on driving incase you get the blame too
Old 06-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Just say the facts. The Police will sort it all out. Bikers do speed. And cars do pull out in front of them. Regardless of what you do, someones insurance will take a battering. Just imagine you were the biker. And then imagine you were Van driver. You'd only want a fair assesment wouldnt you.

Just the facts mam!

Old 06-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

You'd only want a fair assesment wouldnt you.

as long as the other person got the blame, yeah
Old 06-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

They will be able to work out the bikers speed if he did indeed skid across the road on at least one wheel.. if it was a 30 zone, for defo be easy to prove wreckless driving dont woryy just tell what you saw and if In your opinion he was riding too quickly for the van driver to see him IMO you should mention that...
Old 06-05-2005, 10:02 PM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

All i can say it FOOKING van drivers!!!...They pull out on purpose as they is such a rush ....this time it hurt somebody..what does the van driver care when you got witnesses saying the bike was riding too fast Nope he was doin what most hypocrits do...and the van driver was being a van driver.

Thats reality.

Lesson in life..always expect the unexpected.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:30 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

State the facts, as they happened.
The Police and courts are Not interested in opinions.

If you drive Quick or reclessly expect the unexpected around every corner and at every junction, whether on a bike OR in a car.

To Bikers, have you ever driven a van for a living.
To van drivers, have You ever ridden a bike.

I've driven nearly 750,000 miles and am still amazed at some peoples' driving.
Even more so reading on here of people "Claiming" to have done 125, 140 etc.

If you want to drive quickly GO ON A TRACK DAY.