General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

General Election. Whos Voting for Who and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005 | 08:07 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Default General Election. Whos Voting for Who and Why?

As above. Lets see if we can have a decent discussion regarding politics.
Old 03-05-2005 | 08:13 AM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

UKIP

Simply because I don't trust any of the 3 main partys
Old 03-05-2005 | 08:15 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

SNP - for obvious reasons really.
Old 03-05-2005 | 08:16 AM
pau1rs
Advanced PassionFord User

labour!!!

but can`t vote this year as i`m working at a pole station...

6 am till 2 am...

good money tho...
Old 03-05-2005 | 08:17 AM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Not voting. All the parties are crap IMO,all seem to have short term,self interests at their core. Country is in a mess,non of them will drastically alter it. No real alternative to "new labour".
Old 03-05-2005 | 08:46 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

plynchy, if you feel like none of the partys do anything for you,,, spoil your ballet paper, it says more than not turning up!

im voting labour, i dont agree on some of the ideas, but the country HAS got better for the working class in they stay in power¬

1.5million people off the dole *remember that means they are back in work paying tax)
half our national defficite
waiting lists are falling

Trending Topics

Old 03-05-2005 | 08:49 AM
Anonymous
Banned

They are all the same bastards but in different colour ties, policies are now decided on the basis of what will sway the "floating voters" and not on any sort of real interest in terms of what is best for the country.

I will be spoiling my ballot paper in protest to the fact i feel that i do not have the choice of a candidate who represents my wishes, there is no point having a vote if all you can do with it is choose between a few people none of whom you want to represent you.
Old 03-05-2005 | 08:52 AM
~Vix~

i wont be old enough to vote

would vote conservative if i could thoughh....labour have been an absolute joke
Old 03-05-2005 | 08:53 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

i'm a union man - very very unionistic and all for the working man. i therefore advise people not to vote conservative.

Old 03-05-2005 | 08:54 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by GARETH T
plynchy, if you feel like none of the partys do anything for you,,, spoil your ballet paper, it says more than not turning up!
Agreed

im voting labour, i dont agree on some of the ideas, but the country HAS got better for the working class in they stay in power¬
I havent seen that at all

1.5million people off the dole *remember that means they are back in work paying tax)
they have changed the way in which they record the figures so that some people who were classed as unemployed now arent any more though, so i dont think there are actually 1.5 million more paying taxes, and even if there were it wouldnt be enough money to cover the extra tax needed for all the new immigrants allowed in under this government.

You mean half the rate of increase dont you, but its still increasing?

Due to the politics in the NHS now meaning that non essential but quick operations now get priority over expensive life saving ones in order to massage the figures so that gullable voters will believe there has been a real change?
Old 03-05-2005 | 08:56 AM
Brookesy
10K+ Poster!!

Graceland i agree with you as i'm a union man myself

Vix you not old enough how about i give you my card and you vote for me
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:00 AM
Poom
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I still fail to see which party will provide the best kind of thing for me (The young motorist who will be buying a house in the next few years)
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:01 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Graceland,
agree mate

conservative totally FUCKED up south wales,,, and do not deserve another chance,,, mines and docks are closed forever because of them
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:03 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Graceland,
agree mate

conservative totally FUCKED up south wales,,, and do not deserve another chance,,, mines and docks are closed forever because of them
Mines are docks are closed because in the world of UK politics ALL the parties view the cheapest option as the best one, and would sooner buy cheaper coal in from abroad etc, they dont stop to think about the longterm good of local communities.

Policies in this country are all made based on whats good for london.

Mind you in fairness london is pretty much subsidising wales anyway, the amount of tax paid in wales as far as im aware isnt enough to run the country and it has to be propped up by income from london, just like almost all of the rest of the country.
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:05 AM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

if you feel like none of the partys do anything for you,,, spoil your ballet paper, it says more than not turning up!
I will be spoiling my ballot paper in protest

Never heard of this? Is that SOIL or spoil? Explanation please.

One of my main problems,as a motorist,is getting squeezed ever harder by extremely high tax levels to be able to drive my car. 80% tax on fuel?? Car tax goes up EVERY year,do the roads improve? Nearly £200 for a years tax now.

The treasury gets apprx £40 billion in revenue from motorists,of which £6 billion goes back into roads. What happens to the rest??
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:07 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Spoiling ballot paper = write "none of the above" or scribble all over it, or write "you are all a bunch of motorist hating coonts" or anything else you feel like doing that shows that you took the trouble to turn up but dont want to vote for any of them.
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:07 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

chip-3door,
GARETH T wrote:

they have changed the way in which they record the figures so that some people who were classed as unemployed now arent any more though, so i dont think there are actually 1.5 million more paying taxes, and even if there were it wouldnt be enough money to cover the extra tax needed for all the new immigrants allowed in under this government.
im sure you'll find that there IS 1500000 people back in work,,, come on that gotta mean something
agree on the illegal immigrant front (i do hope you mean illegal immigrants)
i do believe we should close our ports and have a points system for the country

GARETH T wrote:

You mean half the rate of increase dont you, but its still increasing?
nope

GARETH T wrote:

Due to the politics in the NHS now meaning that non essential but quick operations now get priority over expensive life saving ones in order to massage the figures so that gullable voters will believe there has been a real change?

Ive done well out of the NHS in the last 2 years,, so i cant complain! You got anything to complain about?
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:09 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Policies in this country are all made based on whats good for london.

Mind you in fairness london is pretty much subsidising wales anyway, the amount of tax paid in wales as far as im aware isnt enough to run the country and it has to be propped up by income from london, just like almost all of the rest of the country.

sadly i agree mate,,, thats the reason why i tell people im british,,,, i also disagree with the welsh assembly,,,
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:13 AM
Anonymous
Banned

What do you mean by "deficit" do you mean the total the country now owes, or are you talking about the annual increase in the amount that the country owes?

As far as im aware, part time jobs of a smaller number of hours are now classified as "working" and most of those people are doing the same amount of work as they were before but they now count when they didnt before?

I dont know for certain though, hence the ? on the end.

I havent really had any personal dealings with the NHS recently, i did fifteen years or so ago under the tories though, and the standard were fantastic at the time, and at that point the budgets of hospitals wasnt so tightly strangled like they are now that when you went into hospital you were quite likely to come out better off rather than getting MRSA like you do now due to the chronic underfunding with regards to how hospitals are cleaned etc under labour.
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:19 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by plynchy
The treasury gets apprx £40 billion in revenue from motorists,of which £6 billion goes back into roads. What happens to the rest??
The rest goes on other public spending. Money doesn't grow on trees, any gvt has to get money from somewhere, somehow.

If the other £34 billion didn't come from motorists, it would somehow have to come from some other form of tax. Since most of the population is a motorist on way or the other, it all works out. The alternative would be an increase in some other area of taxation like income.

What really annoys me is that everyone complains about the state of our public services, compared to other countries in europe, yet, no one complains that we pay less tax than most other europeean countries.

What annoys me more still, is the amount of waste that goes on in the public services, a lot of the money we pay into it goes straight out of the window in pointless excercises...
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:20 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

What do you mean by "deficit" do you mean the total the country now owes, or are you talking about the annual increase in the amount that the country owes?

the total the countre owes

As far as im aware, part time jobs of a smaller number of hours are now classified as "working" and most of those people are doing the same amount of work as they were before but they now count when they didnt before?
tbh im unsure,,, will have too look into it

sometimes its better that devil you know, then the devil you dont
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:23 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Frog, agreed.

The other problem is that if you are fairly wealthy you can avoid most taxes.

Based on my own previous jobs, as a company director on 120grand a year you pay far LESS tax as a percentage than you do in a mundane 40grand a year PAYE job, thats not right at all.

Too many loopholes for the wealthy to slip through.

Trouble is if you take those away then people will run companies in a country that isnt so hard on them, so its all a balancing act between what would be fair and what the rich are prepared to pay.
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:39 AM
arch

Poom,
You need to vote conservative then mate, they will abolish stamp duty up to £250,000.

Me, I'm a voting for the Cons. Immigration needs to be controlled and labour have no idea how to do it.
Labour will increase council tax even further.
My family have used the NHS frequently and I get to speak to the NHS staff quite a lot. As far as I can see yes they have more money but it gets spent on strange jobs that have no effect on the front line staff.

Goddamn liberals want to give prisoners the right to vote!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:43 AM
Anonymous
Banned

The conservatives have NO immigration solution of any consequence either.

While we are in the hands of europe we have no choice but to allow in eastern european immigrants.

If we are out of europe we have old agreements with africa etc that allows them to come and live here.

Not really anything that any of the parties can legally do about it really.
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:59 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

if you dont vote, you have no right to complain about this country is run imo.
Old 03-05-2005 | 10:02 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by SapphyMike
if you dont vote, you have no right to complain about this country is run imo.
When you are given only a handful of choices, NONE of which you want to vote for, how does that mean that by not voting your view is somehow invalid?

Are you saying if i went along, picked one of the people i dont agree with at random and voted for them that then suddenly my opinions would be valid again?

Nonsense!
Old 03-05-2005 | 10:25 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Gareth agreed mate this country has got better under LAbour imo, theres loads of regeneration going on in loads of Cities etc etc..

They got my voted
Old 03-05-2005 | 10:25 AM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

plynchy wrote:

The rest goes on other public spending. Money doesn't grow on trees, any gvt has to get money from somewhere, somehow.

If the other £34 billion didn't come from motorists, it would somehow have to come from some other form of tax. Since most of the population is a motorist on way or the other, it all works out. The alternative would be an increase in some other area of taxation like income.
Sorry,but disagree strongly on that. I pay "road tax" to fund the roads,allegedly. I,as well as everyone else who earns a living,pay a huge portion of my salary in numerous other taxes,income,NI,VAT,council tax etc etc. It is a massive proportion of your earnings if you add it all up,scary. Money doesn't grow on trees,it grows in the pockets of hard working people,from which the goverment seems to think it can have as much as it likes. I don't mind paying my fair share,but the current system is crap. Something like £14k from a salary of £30k goes on tax.
Old 03-05-2005 | 10:28 AM
steviep
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Our local MP for the last 2 terms has been a liberal democrat and he's done a lot of good things for our town, but I don't want to vote liberal cos I don't agree with the parties policies in general, so I think my votes gonna be going to the BNP as although they have no chance of getting in, at least the government should take note of the increase in votes for them and revise their policies on asylum seekers and the like
Old 03-05-2005 | 10:28 AM
Anonymous
Banned

I agree that motorists shouldnt be used to fund other things, if taxs are needed for the NHS then why should they get more of that money from people who have to drive further to work than those who dont?

Its just cause they are scared to increase income tax.
Old 03-05-2005 | 10:38 AM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

I agree that motorists shouldnt be used to fund other things, if taxs are needed for the NHS then why should they get more of that money from people who have to drive further to work than those who dont?

Its just cause they are scared to increase income tax.
Quite.

Increase my income tax by 2%,but,abolish road tax,lower fuel duty,base road tax on road use(the more you drive,more you pay),ban all speed limits except 30's,abolish speed cameras etc,stop illegal immigration,ban smoking. I've got loads more....
Old 03-05-2005 | 11:55 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by frog

Indeed Greg.Imagine how much a box of 20 ciggys would cost if motorists stopped getting taxed. £10, £15 who knows.

And yes i know you get most of yours duty free
Old 03-05-2005 | 12:23 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by plynchy
Something like £14k from a salary of £30k goes on tax.
I agree that feels like a lot, but if boose was cheaper (as in France), cigarettes cheaper (as in spain), road tax, fuel tax, etc...
You'd be paying closer to £20K in income tax or other on a £30K salary, if not more, and if you weren't a motorist, didn't drink alcool and didn't smoke I bet you'd be pi$$ed off about paying for others too.

It all has to balance out, and in my opinion, it's irrelevant where the money comes from, it has to come from somewhere that's all.
Old 03-05-2005 | 12:34 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by cossierich330
Indeed Greg.Imagine how much a box of 20 ciggys would cost if motorists stopped getting taxed. £10, £15 who knows.

And yes i know you get most of yours duty free
3 cars on the road, all three gas guzzlers and used regularly more than make up for this little slip up

Do you want any
Old 03-05-2005 | 12:43 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Fags are UNDER taxed currently, as the cost to the NHS and industry is greater than the price paid for the fags.

Petrol is probably priced not too far wrong if you look at the bigger picture in terms of cost of NHS fixing car accident victims etc.
Mind you, with all the revenue generating speed cameras up now, they should be able to afford to lower petrol prices a bit!
Old 03-05-2005 | 01:14 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by steviep
so I think my votes gonna be going to the BNP
Alot of people lost lifes to keep the nazi's out, would be an insult to those we remember once a year to vote them in.
Old 03-05-2005 | 01:25 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Big G
Originally Posted by steviep
so I think my votes gonna be going to the BNP
Alot of people lost lifes to keep the nazi's out, would be an insult to those we remember once a year to vote them in.
Although there are a LOT of racist assholes and Nazi wannabes in the BNP they do also have some fairly sound policies.

I do NOT support racism, but i do think we need to tighten our border controls somehow and possibly remove some of the people who are here who shouldnt be (i do not mean those here legally)
Old 03-05-2005 | 01:38 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The state of britain is shocking, there is no easy fix for it. I think that imigration should be along the lines of, if your a member of the eu or go through official means then ok, if you are found on this soil then you are deported straight away back to where you came from, if unknown then a smimilar camp to guantaniemo (spelling) bay should be setup where imigrants are safely secured from `persecution` till they can be deported again.

As for speeding then why not put the limit on the motorway up to 80mph or 90mph, if found exceeding the speeds then stiff financial penalty, ie no more 3 points and £30 how about it being related to the speed your where doing. ie say 10mph over then then its £10 for every mph and one point for every 10mph over and keep things as they are in 30mph zones but perhaps have stiffer penalties.

This increase in fines will punish the guilty more severely and give the out of character peeps a rap on the knuckles type fine. And it will generate more revenue for the goverment to spend on the nhs and such.
Old 03-05-2005 | 01:43 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Another policy of mine...
The BBC "licence fee" (tax) to be scrapped.
Why the fook should EVERYONE with a TV be forced to pay for this shite? Whether they watch it or not,madness.

Quick Reply: General Election. Whos Voting for Who and Why?