General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Sapph prices!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 12:14 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I would defo rather have a modded saph than a standard saph. I just think it's a shame that the normal enthusiasts can't afford them.

I paid 5k for mine and to be honest the car was a bit of a donkey when I got it. It had mitch match coloured panels and the leather seats had been robbed out of it. But the car wouldn't be how it is today if it wasn't for me spending the money on it getting it looking right.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:50 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 396 Likes on 360 Posts

Hi Glenn , My Saff has never been standard and like you I have spent quite a bit on modifying mine over the years I have owned it and with 450bhp it can still more than hold its own against most modern "performance cars"!! I have done a few things to update it like wasted spark ignition,new engine, fans and fuel pump wiring looms new centre push hydraulic clutch conversion and remote door locking plus of course performance upgrades. Anyone who comes for a ride in it for the first time are always shocked at how hard it goes and I still love it after 25years!!!! The guys at Tremona Garage In Southampton tell me I would think a standard Saff would seem really slow and boring in comparison.!! With parts getting harder to find now keeping it in tip top condition is getting harder but mine has never failed an MOT yet so I am well pleased!!
Old 10-11-2021, 08:44 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I've been out in a 400 bhp 4x4 saph and I've also been out/driven the Royal Nail van(380bhp cossie converted) they felt bloody savage. I think mines about 320 ish and thats quick enough. I feel the same as you the parts are getting harder to find cause people want to money for them.

My cossie has failed its mot a few times but this was before I've owned it. I think I've owned it for about 14 years now. Mad to think it was my daily driver for a few years. Now it hardly gets used and sits in a carpeted garage with a heater ha ha.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:06 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_
carpeted garage

Very posh

Old 10-11-2021, 04:16 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've been out in a 400 bhp 4x4 saph and I've also been out/driven the Royal Nail van(380bhp cossie converted) they felt bloody savage. I think mines about 320 ish and thats quick enough. I feel the same as you the parts are getting harder to find cause people want to money for them.

My cossie has failed its mot a few times but this was before I've owned it. I think I've owned it for about 14 years now. Mad to think it was my daily driver for a few years. Now it hardly gets used and sits in a carpeted garage with a heater ha ha.
For the first 3 years mine was my daily driver but it was costing me a lot of money for petrol so it had to become my second car. It would cost me loads now with the price of petrol as it is!!! Your Garage is superb Glenn compared to my tiny little one that I rent off the Council!!!
Old 11-11-2021, 05:59 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

i used to put 90 to 100 pound a week in mine as a daily driver 20 years ago when petrol was under 50 p a litre

was a company car so I didn't pay for anything lol
Old 12-11-2021, 06:22 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by cossynut2
For the first 3 years mine was my daily driver but it was costing me a lot of money for petrol so it had to become my second car. It would cost me loads now with the price of petrol as it is!!! Your Garage is superb Glenn compared to my tiny little one that I rent off the Council!!!
I class myself lucky to have a decent garage but I'm paying a big mortgage for my house though lol.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:23 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by james kiely
i used to put 90 to 100 pound a week in mine as a daily driver 20 years ago when petrol was under 50 p a litre

was a company car so I didn't pay for anything lol
50p a litre. That must be going back some time. I remember it being 79p a litre.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:18 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

50p a litre. That must be going back some time. I remember it being 79p a litre.
I am old enough to remember when everyone thought it was disgusting when petrol rose to £1.00 per Gallon!!!! 23p per litre !!! At that time I had a V6 Essex engined Uren Savage 1600E and a Mk2 Lotus Cortina ,both very heavy on the MPG!!!
Old 12-11-2021, 10:47 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

I am old enough to remember when everyone thought it was disgusting when petrol rose to £1.00 per Gallon!!!! 23p per litre !!! At that time I had a V6 Essex engined Uren Savage 1600E and a Mk2 Lotus Cortina ,both very heavy on the MPG!!!
I paid £1.64 yesterday for vpower £85 for half a tank in the Merc ! Plenty of tax and vat in that for Boris 🤬🤬
Old 12-11-2021, 11:20 AM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

if i was to sell mine it would be advertised at £30k plus
Old 12-11-2021, 01:24 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
I paid £1.64 yesterday for vpower £85 for half a tank in the Merc ! Plenty of tax and vat in that for Boris 🤬🤬

i see a reciept floating about on FB yesterday for Moto services wetherby

Ultimate @ 177.9p
Old 12-11-2021, 02:09 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

This is what pisses me off about fuel prices. The greedy government get a lump of it.
Old 12-11-2021, 04:38 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fil
i see a reciept floating about on FB yesterday for Moto services wetherby

Ultimate @ 177.9p
Whoever runs that Services is just taking the piss!!!! Greedy money grabbing bastards!!!
Old 12-11-2021, 04:40 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

This is what pisses me off about fuel prices. The greedy government get a lump of it.
You are right Glenn the Government cant lose, they don't give a shit how high fuel prices go up to!!!!
Old 12-11-2021, 05:02 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

The government will get another huge tax boost in April aswell red diesel is going to be banned from construction, contractors will then have to use white which must be around 60p a litre tax !!
Old 12-11-2021, 06:00 PM
jcarpenter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The government will get another huge tax boost in April aswell red diesel is going to be banned from construction, contractors will then have to use white which must be around 60p a litre tax !!
Wait what? i haven't heard this? this means people like me will shit out even more?
Old 12-11-2021, 07:15 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Originally Posted by jcarpenter
Wait what? i haven't heard this? this means people like me will shit out even more?

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ls-entitlement
Old 12-11-2021, 09:38 PM
turbotrev
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ajamesc
Not many places about that do that sort of work. I’m told the 3.5 inch tube massively ups the price as well. Other quote I had from a place recommended was about the same as well
I know things ain’t cheap to do and it’s rare custom work but £3500 for an exhaust is mental!!!
Dreading getting mine made up now if that’s the cost.
I have a few options for mine though tbh.
Was that Andy Robinson race cars who built the exhaust?

Cheers Paul
Old 12-11-2021, 09:43 PM
turbotrev

you paid around 24k for rods old cossie? bloody hell, i always wondered how much it went for, i was surprised a family member didn't want to keep and follow their family member legacy. Always followed the build on facebook and all i saw more thrown at it than i could earn
30k, but that was over two years ago now….

And it’ still needs big money spent on it to correct it’s issues.

You can’t compare a hugely modded one-off car to a standard one though.

Standard will always be more more regardless of the modded example

Cheers Paul
Old 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotrev
I know things ain’t cheap to do and it’s rare custom work but £3500 for an exhaust is mental!!!
Dreading getting mine made up now if that’s the cost.
I have a few options for mine though tbh.
Was that Andy Robinson race cars who built the exhaust?

Cheers Paul
I was quoted about the same from edwards motorsport. They said 3.5 inch changes the cost a lot. The materials how hard it is to bend and route. I needed it done but edwards was to far away so would have cost way more towing it there. So went with Robinson Race cars. Everyone knows someone who can do it cheaper or a mate who did it on his drive with bits off eBay. But I didn’t. So it just got done
The following users liked this post:
turbotrev (14-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 10:31 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Cheers Paul
How do you know what needs spending on it, you must have a crystal ball cause it's not even apart yet 🤣😂
Old 13-11-2021, 05:58 AM
jcarpenter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cheers Paul

I do understand modifed examples are less than standard, mint condtions. Just seeing the workmanship gone into this, feel that it would gone for more. Either what what ever the fella paid excatly for the cossie is non of bussiness, im just a nosiy person in a way.

Also i know stuff breaks, got to respect scooby slayer as he isnt hiding whats broken or prices of parts?

Although i would be pretty annoyed to spend in my eyes serious cash on a build, and wait this long to still have issues, but i have had one serious build that took 5 years to get where i want and then broke it for parts, plus i am impatient.

scooby slayer, please don't take any of this as a dig at yourself, i respect your build, and understand stuff breaks, and things unexspectly happen.

Last edited by jcarpenter; 13-11-2021 at 05:59 AM.
turbotrev (14-11-2021)
Old 13-11-2021, 09:09 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I was quoted about the same from edwards motorsport. They said 3.5 inch changes the cost a lot. The materials how hard it is to bend and route. I needed it done but edwards was to far away so would have cost way more towing it there. So went with Robinson Race cars. Everyone knows someone who can do it cheaper or a mate who did it on his drive with bits off eBay. But I didn’t. So it just got done
I can see how it would cost a lot to have a complete exhaust system custom made. I only had a new custom made S/S oval shaped centre box made for my Saff. It took more than 6 hours for the guy to hand make it from scratch, cut out the old one and fit the new one It is a skilled job and not a lot of places will have the pipe bending machine to cope with 3.5inch pipework. You made the decision to get the job done properly by experts and the cost reflects that.
Old 13-11-2021, 09:17 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The government has kept that stealth tax quiet!!! It will lead to more more people selling red diesel on the quiet. The extra cost to any business currently using a lot of red diesel will be huge and that will have to be passed on to customers!!
Old 13-11-2021, 09:19 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

I do understand modifed examples are less than standard, mint condtions. Just seeing the workmanship gone into this, feel that it would gone for more. Either what what ever the fella paid excatly for the cossie is non of bussiness, im just a nosiy person in a way.

Also i know stuff breaks, got to respect scooby slayer as he isnt hiding whats broken or prices of parts?

Although i would be pretty annoyed to spend in my eyes serious cash on a build, and wait this long to still have issues, but i have had one serious build that took 5 years to get where i want and then broke it for parts, plus i am impatient.

scooby slayer, please don't take any of this as a dig at yourself, i respect your build, and understand stuff breaks, and things unexspectly happen.
Shit happens mate it's alot of power from a small engine, my dad used to say "no replacement for displacement"

I think my saph was about the right money at the time but all values have risen dramatically I bought it ages ago now
Old 13-11-2021, 10:09 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

I can see how it would cost a lot to have a complete exhaust system custom made. I only had a new custom made S/S oval shaped centre box made for my Saff. It took more than 6 hours for the guy to hand make it from scratch, cut out the old one and fit the new one It is a skilled job and not a lot of places will have the pipe bending machine to cope with 3.5inch pipework. You made the decision to get the job done properly by experts and the cost reflects that.
It’s exactly that. All takes time. I’ve 3 silencers to quieten it down. So all 3 had to be made and made to fit the car. All v banded making the mounts Not to mention making the down pipe that isn’t straight forward. It all costs a lot of money. Companies that do that work are very busy so not cheap per hour. People think your getting ripped off because there exhaust cost 400 quid from demon tweeks lol. I’ll not mention then having parts ceramic coated 😬

Last edited by ajamesc; 13-11-2021 at 10:11 AM.
Old 13-11-2021, 11:00 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

It’s exactly that. All takes time. I’ve 3 silencers to quieten it down. So all 3 had to be made and made to fit the car. All v banded making the mounts Not to mention making the down pipe that isn’t straight forward. It all costs a lot of money. Companies that do that work are very busy so not cheap per hour. People think your getting ripped off because there exhaust cost 400 quid from demon tweeks lol. I’ll not mention then having parts ceramic coated 😬
I think it was about right mate exhaust on my gtr is £4600 titanium but they have been designed and made then sold so would no doubt be more if a shop to make a one of custom size
​​​​​​
Old 14-11-2021, 02:34 PM
turbotrev

I hear ya 👍🏻

Did you really need to go 3.5 inch all the way or was it more advisable than needed?

Cheers Paul
Old 14-11-2021, 02:37 PM
turbotrev

How do you know what needs spending on it, you must have a crystal ball cause it's not even apart yet 🤣😂
Just going by what you said, if it’s all coming apart you was talking about upgrading the block anyway? Unless that’s not happening now and your gonna stick with the old block whatever the inspection shows?

A new block is gonna be 5k without all the labour to rebuild it so either way 5k plus to me on a 30k car is big money

Cheers Paul
Old 14-11-2021, 02:39 PM
turbotrev

Couldn't agree with you more buddy

Cheers Paul
Old 14-11-2021, 02:41 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

I hear ya 👍🏻

Did you really need to go 3.5 inch all the way or was it more advisable than needed?

Cheers Paul
You take the advice of your tuner don’t you Mark knows his stuff. It’s a lot of money involved so if told over 600 3inch is restrictive and I need 3.5 it has to be 3.5.

Last edited by ajamesc; 14-11-2021 at 02:42 PM.
turbotrev (14-11-2021)
Old 14-11-2021, 02:43 PM
turbotrev

As it has three silencers do you know if they made the price considerably dear?
As an example was say each silencer say £400, if that makes sense?

Cheers Paul
Old 14-11-2021, 02:44 PM
turbotrev

And was that including the ceramic coating? Or you still need to get that done?

Cheers Paul
Old 14-11-2021, 02:47 PM
turbotrev

You take the advice of your tuner don’t you Mark knows his stuff. It’s a lot of money involved so if told over 600 3inch is restrictive and I need 3.5 it has to be 3.5.
Yes 100%, that’s what I mean, was it recommend by Mark or just something you wanted to change rather than actually need?

I will be going for a 3.5 inch complete system as well, just with minimal silencers

Cheers Paul
Old 14-11-2021, 02:47 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

As it has three silencers do you know if they made the price considerably dear?
As an example was say each silencer say £400, if that makes sense?

Cheers Paul
No idea really. They deal in 3 inch or 4 and over on the drag cars. So they ordered in the 3.5 stuff specially. The box’s came as the middle tube. The outer that they cut to size then the ends that they weld on. So I guess it was all labour intensive.

Last edited by ajamesc; 14-11-2021 at 02:52 PM.
turbotrev (14-11-2021)
Old 14-11-2021, 02:48 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Yes 100%, that’s what I mean, was it recommend by Mark or just something you wanted to change rather than actually need?

I will be going for a 3.5 inch complete system as well, just with minimal silencers

Cheers Paul
What mark recommends on over 600bhp
turbotrev (14-11-2021)
Old 14-11-2021, 02:51 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

And was that including the ceramic coating? Or you still need to get that done?

Cheers Paul
ceramic coating wasn’t planned and was an after thought. I was going to wrap it but because of the shape and how the external waste gate joins it. It was hard to wrap it any sense so gave up and wrapped the mid section to past the gearbox. Then had the down pipe coated. That was about 400 odd on top
turbotrev (14-11-2021)
Old 14-11-2021, 03:19 PM
turbotrev

Gotcha 👍🏻

Ahh so your routing the wastegate pipe back into the downpipe as well?

So again that’ll be more Labour and materials cost to have all that welded in.

I’ll be going externally gated with a screamer pipe so again won’t have that extra cost to incur

Cheers Paul
Old 14-11-2021, 03:34 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Gotcha 👍🏻

Ahh so your routing the wastegate pipe back into the downpipe as well?

So again that’ll be more Labour and materials cost to have all that welded in.

I’ll be going externally gated with a screamer pipe so again won’t have that extra cost to incur

Cheers Paul
Yeah I don’t want it too loud so it plumbs into the down pipe.
turbotrev (14-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Sapph prices!