General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Engine Torque Figures

Search this Thread

Old 13-04-2020, 02:34 PM
adduk
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Torque Figures

Can someone explain to me in a reasonably simple way how the torque figure is worked out on an engine build. I understand what it is and that it can be measured/calculated on the rolling road but do people actually work it out prior to the build of an engine based on parts they install etc.

I am building a zetec turbo (Silvertop) with Wossner piston etc and looking to run at around 320bhp. I have fitted an ST170 box and looking at clutch options but as the clutches are rated in torque figures i am not sure what a zetec turbo at that BHP will produce. If anyone has any figure they can share it might help me get an idea for what i need but i assume people don't just build these engines any guess the torque figures for the clutches or is it all just experience?

Stay safe.

Adam
Old 13-04-2020, 02:54 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by adduk
Can someone explain to me in a reasonably simple way how the torque figure is worked out on an engine build. I understand what it is and that it can be measured/calculated on the rolling road but do people actually work it out prior to the build of an engine based on parts they install etc.

I am building a zetec turbo (Silvertop) with Wossner piston etc and looking to run at around 320bhp. I have fitted an ST170 box and looking at clutch options but as the clutches are rated in torque figures i am not sure what a zetec turbo at that BHP will produce. If anyone has any figure they can share it might help me get an idea for what i need but i assume people don't just build these engines any guess the torque figures for the clutches or is it all just experience?

Stay safe.

Adam

It depends at what rpm it makes the hp to determine the torque, the lower the rpm the engine makes hp the higher the torque will be

Torque is hp X 5252 divided by rpm

So if you make 320 hp at 4000 rpm

320 X 5252 = 1680640
1680640 /4000 = 420

So your engine is makeing 420lbft at 4000 rpm

But if your engine makes 320 hp at 3000 rpm then your making 560 lbft of torque

​​​​​​
Old 13-04-2020, 03:42 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by adduk

Stay safe.

Adam

People take factory numbers, and then start dreaming as to how much more theirs might be.

Usually it's all based on fantasy
The following users liked this post:
Adam-M (13-04-2020)
Old 13-04-2020, 10:12 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Experience, knowledge and understanding.
Old 15-04-2020, 12:53 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It depends on the boost profile and engine capacity as the main inputs. But 350lbft would be a ball park figure for your engine.

The 6 speed getrag isn't ideal for your application,the ratios are short and it's weak. Better to for an MTX box if you can.
Old 15-04-2020, 03:30 PM
adduk
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
It depends on the boost profile and engine capacity as the main inputs. But 350lbft would be a ball park figure for your engine.

The 6 speed getrag isn't ideal for your application,the ratios are short and it's weak. Better to for an MTX box if you can.
I am already committed to the 6 speed box as i have it, the mounts are fitted and i have some Dave Mac shafts for it. Just need to sort the clutch and diff. The cars been sat for years before i got my head back into building it and the parts were bought a while ago. If i had the option now i would go MTX.