General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford and VW to partner up.

Search this Thread

Old 15-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts
Default Ford and VW to partner up.

https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.o...n%2Findex.html

This could be interesting.
Old 15-01-2019, 04:31 PM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

last time they did it we got the galaxy, heaven help us
Old 15-01-2019, 08:01 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Ha ha ha. True.
Old 15-01-2019, 09:18 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Volkswagen have already got their engineering in Skoda and Seat so why not Ford.
Old 15-01-2019, 09:34 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

At least the Emissions will be low.
The following 3 users liked this post by focusv8:
Caddyshack (16-01-2019), MONSTER (24-01-2019), STeve (16-01-2019)
Old 16-01-2019, 06:53 AM
STeve

Originally Posted by cossynut2
Volkswagen have already got their engineering in Skoda and Seat so why not Ford.

seeing how past joint ventures went with cross brand tech between the 2 company's it works for business but not for the consumer
Old 16-01-2019, 08:13 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Porsche 944 came out of Vw and Porsche plus Audi RS2
Old 16-01-2019, 11:45 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by focusv8
At least the Emissions will be low.
ha ha. And they might be more reliable..
Old 16-01-2019, 11:46 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

If u remember rightly Toyota made vw a pick which looked exactly the same apart from the badges.
Old 16-01-2019, 12:18 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

I kind of like the idea of a mk2 fiesta and the 1.8T Vag lump, that sound like a good partnership.

just need a mk2 and the engine now, oh and lots of spare time
Old 16-01-2019, 12:50 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A9TUE The consumer will always be less important than the profit of the Company!!!!
Old 16-01-2019, 05:48 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Of course profit is more important, it's a business, not a charity

What was wrong with the Galaxy? Not an exciting car, but a sturdy people bus, if that's what you need. These kind of tie-ups are inevitable really, especially with the car industry in the state it's in. We might all like Ford but, they are in a shit state and not making any money. It makes absolute sense to share resources and jointly develop products.

Let's face it, if people remove the blinkers, VAG make some fantastic products, so I don't mind being able to benefit from some of that tech, but combine it with some of the good stuff from Fords.
Old 17-01-2019, 07:49 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

It's all about money. Why are Ford in a look much debt?? Is this just because there has been the wrong people running the business??

I don't think there are many bad cars these days,ok some are better than others. It's like people go on about how good German cars are. I can only go by experience and to me there not as good as what people think they are. Imo I think some car company's are just good at covering how poo they are.

I'm not saying ford are the best but yet again I can only go from experience and the Ford's I've owned have been spot on. The worse Ford I've owned is the cossie but I put this down to owners not knowing about these cars.
Old 17-01-2019, 08:48 AM
STeve

A9TUE The consumer will always be less important than the profit of the Company!!!!

sadly true

Originally Posted by massivewangers
Of course profit is more important, it's a business, not a charity

What was wrong with the Galaxy? Not an exciting car, but a sturdy people bus, if that's what you need. These kind of tie-ups are inevitable really, especially with the car industry in the state it's in. We might all like Ford but, they are in a shit state and not making any money. It makes absolute sense to share resources and jointly develop products.

Let's face it, if people remove the blinkers, VAG make some fantastic products, so I don't mind being able to benefit from some of that tech, but combine it with some of the good stuff from Fords.
nothing to do with blinkers mk1 and mk2 galaxys were very prone to many issues all of which needed VAG software to resolve and at german pricing rates, if they were made decent nobody inc myself would say a bad word

Last edited by STeve; 17-01-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 17-01-2019, 05:58 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Glenn_
It's all about money. Why are Ford in a look much debt?? Is this just because there has been the wrong people running the business??

I don't think there are many bad cars these days,ok some are better than others. It's like people go on about how good German cars are. I can only go by experience and to me there not as good as what people think they are. Imo I think some car company's are just good at covering how poo they are.

I'm not saying ford are the best but yet again I can only go from experience and the Ford's I've owned have been spot on. The worse Ford I've owned is the cossie but I put this down to owners not knowing about these cars.
It's pretty surprising that Ford are struggling to make money, given how high up the sales charts they feature.

You're right that there aren't really any bad cars out there anymore. Most of them are pretty good. The benefit for us is that, if manufacturers share some development costs, it might make cars cheaper or, at the very least, help them to stay in profit, meaning they won't start cutting back on their ranges. Ford and others are already starting to cut models, so this kind of thing might prevent that.

You're right, Ford are pretty good. They get some elements of their cars right, but I think they would benefit from help in other areas. When it comes to technology, they would benefit from some help. VW always seem to be a bit ahead of Ford when it comes to infotainment, and technology like adaptive cruise control.

Originally Posted by A9TUE
sadly true

nothing to do with blinkers mk1 and mk2 galaxys were very prone to many issues all of which needed VAG software to resolve and at german pricing rates, if they were made decent nobody inc myself would say a bad word
Eh? So it's sad that a company wants to make profit? Should they make cars at a loss, just because it would help us out?

Don't all cars have issues? In fairness, when do you ever say a positive word about anything
Old 17-01-2019, 06:18 PM
STeve

Originally Posted by massivewangers

Eh? So it's sad that a company wants to make profit? Should they make cars at a loss, just because it would help us out?

Don't all cars have issues? In fairness, when do you ever say a positive word about anything
of course all cars have issues this thread is aimed at vag/ford hence commenting, so anyone can have a opinion except me ? was that not the purpose of forums to voice opinions and share input good or bad, having owned both mks of galaxys found them both very troublesome and nearly always electrical vag controlled modules failing requiring vag not ford software to resolve, so that gives me and any past owner or tech the right to share findings, of course theres owners out there that have had zero issues but that was not my own personal experience, so rather than making snidey comments about someone you dont know and never will I suggest you refrain from any personal remarks in the future, if you dont like me I could not care less.

Last edited by STeve; 17-01-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 17-01-2019, 08:05 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Fucking LOL at "snidey comments" and "personal remarks" - what personal remarks? Wind your neck in FFS, next you'll be telling us you're offended
Old 19-01-2019, 08:23 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sounds like I'm off the Christmas card list
The following users liked this post:
Thrush (19-01-2019)
Old 19-01-2019, 09:33 PM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
Porsche 944 came out of Vw and Porsche plus Audi RS2
Yeah but the rs2 you can't get 90% of parts now, its all NLA as audi don't care about keeping spares for it anymore.
Old 20-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by visa_broke
Yeah but the rs2 you can't get 90% of parts now, its all NLA as audi don't care about keeping spares for it anymore.
thats not good, it makes spares go through the roof on price in second hand market and probably not enough made to warrant a company making aftermarket.

my friend had an rs2 in late 90’s and it was tuned to around 380 bhp, we took it on the Mira wet handling circuit and you could back it in to a corner with a scandi flick and a lift and almost be going backwards, then plant the throttle and it would eventually go straight.
Old 20-01-2019, 06:31 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

First thing came to my mind too !!
Old 21-01-2019, 12:43 AM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
First thing came to my mind too !!
The vr6 sharan was good and sounded brilliantly. Took my fathers out for a bit and it averaged around 8mpg but sounded brilliantly

Originally Posted by Caddyshack

thats not good, it makes spares go through the roof on price in second hand market and probably not enough made to warrant a company making aftermarket.

my friend had an rs2 in late 90’s and it was tuned to around 380 bhp, we took it on the Mira wet handling circuit and you could back it in to a corner with a scandi flick and a lift and almost be going backwards, then plant the throttle and it would eventually go straight.
I've had quite a few s2's and s2 avants and they are good but audi suck royally when it comes to spares for any of them. Even the old Ur's that made them are pretty much obsolete for spares. Its easier to say what is available which isn't much.

Rs2 with just a remap gets you up to 380bhp, some remaps are better than others but at that level you are borderline at bending rods if you work hard enough at it.
Old 30-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

The old VW based Galaxy's are FAR more reliable than the later ones going by my experiences of working on cars everyday.
Wouldn't touch a later one with a barge pole.

I'm not the biggest fan of VW either but I certainly think that going by my findings, neither manufacturers are better than one another. I certainly will never own another new Ford again, that's for sure and I was Ford through and through. I'll stick to my Honda for now.

Old 30-01-2019, 09:37 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Gazzonator

The old VW based Galaxy's are FAR more reliable than the later ones going by my experiences of working on cars everyday.
Wouldn't touch a later one with a barge pole.

I'm not the biggest fan of VW either but I certainly think that going by my findings, neither manufacturers are better than one another. I certainly will never own another new Ford again, that's for sure and I was Ford through and through. I'll stick to my Honda for now.

Can I ask which new Ford you were not happy with and what problems did you have with it? Must have been pretty bad if it's put you off buying any more new Fords?
Old 02-02-2019, 05:59 AM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Can I ask which new Ford you were not happy with and what problems did you have with it? Must have been pretty bad if it's put you off buying any more new Fords?
I had a 66 plate Focus ST. To be honest I really liked the car but the thing developed so many rattles and creaks after just one year of owning it and it randomly would not recognise the smart key (both of them) and after going into the dealer numerous times I get told they don't know what's wrong with it so they can't fix it.

I had 3 new Focus ST's (2 diesel ones and 1 petrol) and they all developed a loud cracking noise on either n/s or o/s A pillar to which my local dealer told me that it was due to a manufacturing issue and would require a new A pillar panel to fix it. Fuck having my new car chopped about!

I wasn't happy with Fords customer service either.

After all that it got traded in for a Golf GTI. Not without its issues either but the customer service was leagues ahead.

Modern Fords just do not seem to be as reliable as a lot of other manufacturers out there these days and that comment comes from me working on cars every day and having to recover the things into dealers.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:18 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Gazzonator

I had a 66 plate Focus ST. To be honest I really liked the car but the thing developed so many rattles and creaks after just one year of owning it and it randomly would not recognise the smart key (both of them) and after going into the dealer numerous times I get told they don't know what's wrong with it so they can't fix it.

I had 3 new Focus ST's (2 diesel ones and 1 petrol) and they all developed a loud cracking noise on either n/s or o/s A pillar to which my local dealer told me that it was due to a manufacturing issue and would require a new A pillar panel to fix it. Fuck having my new car chopped about!

I wasn't happy with Fords customer service either.

After all that it got traded in for a Golf GTI. Not without its issues either but the customer service was leagues ahead.

Modern Fords just do not seem to be as reliable as a lot of other manufacturers out there these days and that comment comes from me working on cars every day and having to recover the things into dealers.
Now you have explained it I can see why you were not happy. I have never had a Ford newer than 1990 ( my 2wd Saff ) so I have never owned a modern one. My wife had a first edition Ka which I have to say was reliable but that was a 1998 model.