bodywork repair advice please - PassionFord - Ford Focus, Escort & RS Forum Discussion

General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

bodywork repair advice please

Reply

 
 
 
Old 11-08-2018, 08:07 PM
  #1  
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User
Thread Starter
 
st220kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somerset
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
Default bodywork repair advice please





I'm hoping to get this wheel arch tidied up on my fiesta mk5, is it bad enough to warrant replacing the whole arch? Admittedly is does look slightly worse in reality than in the pics, How much roughly will something like this cost? The car isn't really worth much so i don't really want to spend a vast amount. Ive been doing bits an pieces to it myself to tidy it up since I've bought it but wouldn't attempt any type of body work.
I'm struggling to find somebody to do it, the only place that was recommended to me aren't interested but that's another story.
st220kyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:54 PM
  #2  
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!
 
slammedorion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 4,555
Thanked 167 Times in 156 Posts
Default

All wants cutting out... tidy up won’t last 5 mins
slammedorion is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slammedorion For This Useful Post:
1-PD (25-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 09:07 PM
  #3  
Shaun's
PassionFord Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 453
Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts
Default

It’s one of those.....
where do you stop jobs.....tidy up and sell on.
Shaun's is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:24 PM
  #4  
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!
 
slammedorion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 4,555
Thanked 167 Times in 156 Posts
Default

If you bog it up it’ll be back within weeks
Not worth your time and effort imo
slammedorion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:42 PM
  #5  
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User
Thread Starter
 
st220kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somerset
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Any idea on cost roughly?
don't really wana sell it tbh, I've had a bit of fun in it ( gone to the ring with it twice),i enjoy tinkering with it and upgrading parts. I was planning on putting a puma lump in it next. i paid less than £500 for the car 1 year ago, it couldn't really be replaced for that sort of money.
st220kyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:36 AM
  #6  
iansoutham
OCD Victim
 
iansoutham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SE London
Posts: 2,007
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Problem is that to do it properly on one of those, you need to put a 1/4 panel on as an arch will never sit right and will need loads of filler to hide the rippling effect from all the welding as.the metal is so thin on those cars. Also means that you can find any other hidden rust, which there will be.
iansoutham is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:49 AM
  #7  
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Troll
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Holbury,Southampton
Posts: 3,236
Thanked 228 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Bodywork repairs can be and usually are more expensive than mechanical repairs on a lot of cars and to fix the rust problems properly on your Fiesta will cost as much as you paid for it. Always a difficult choice on a car which was cheap to buy. It depends on how much you like your car and how long you intend to keep it. If the rest of the car is in really good condition and you can afford it I would get it done and that way you will have nothing to worry about long term.
cossynut2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:08 PM
  #8  
mk1turboestate
Advanced PassionFord User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: manchester
Posts: 1,683
Thanked 55 Times in 52 Posts
Default

A long time ago I cut out much more rust than that on a mates mk 2 escort rs2000 and fibreglassed it, a proper botch but he had no money, it lasted years.
mk1turboestate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:52 PM
  #9  
Glenn_
Glennvestite
iTrader: (1)
 
Glenn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Darlington county durham
Posts: 61,094
Thanked 831 Times in 801 Posts
Default

The thing with rust is that it's starts off ok then as soon as you start to remove 8t holes appear. You could try kurust but I think it will just come back.

to me the bottom of the arch looks the worst and I bet this ends up being a hole.

Last edited by Glenn_; 12-08-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Glenn_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 10:46 PM
  #10  
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User
Thread Starter
 
st220kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somerset
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
Default

4 body work shops I've been in contact with now and nobody wants to do it, 3 haven't even seen it. They just say call back later but then never answer/ or say they will come to me but never turn up. The only 1 that has seen it said he can have an easier life and make more money just respraying. so wasn't really interested.
unbelievable really, i thought people would want the work, fuck knows how these places are making a living
st220kyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 11:18 PM
  #11  
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)
 
ajamesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: hampshire
Posts: 8,929
Thanked 279 Times in 260 Posts
Default

Body shops are not interested in stuff like that they would rather do 10 car park dings badly and charge the insurance company lol. Body work is the hardest thing to have done well. You will have to find a place that restores cars and works on older stuff but it certainly will not be cheap
ajamesc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 08:54 AM
  #12  
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Troll
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Holbury,Southampton
Posts: 3,236
Thanked 228 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ajamesc View Post
Body shops are not interested in stuff like that they would rather do 10 car park dings badly and charge the insurance company lol. Body work is the hardest thing to have done well. You will have to find a place that restores cars and works on older stuff but it certainly will not be cheap
This is the problem when you have paid less than £500 for a car and to fix the rust properly will be at least the same amount. It really depends if the rest of the car is in excellent condition and you can afford it it could be worth the cost, but if the rust is only one of the problems then probably not. This is why breakers yards have loads of fairly modern cars in them as many have failed MOTs with rust problems and the cost of fixing it is often more than the value of the cars.

Last edited by cossynut2; 22-09-2018 at 08:55 AM.
cossynut2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 10:38 AM
  #13  
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User
Thread Starter
 
st220kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somerset
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cossynut2 View Post
This is the problem when you have paid less than £500 for a car and to fix the rust properly will be at least the same amount. It really depends if the rest of the car is in excellent condition and you can afford it it could be worth the cost, but if the rust is only one of the problems then probably not. This is why breakers yards have loads of fairly modern cars in them as many have failed MOTs with rust problems and the cost of fixing it is often more than the value of the cars.
I agree totally with what your saying, the only place that actually looked at it said it would be about £350 worth of work, but said he could make that easier doing paint work so didn't want to do it unless i got the metal work done somewhere else and he just tidied it up and Painted. Nobody I've approached even wanted to do the metal work.
its quite a sound car, never been welded or had any advisories for rust.
st220kyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 10:40 AM
  #14  
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)
 
ajamesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: hampshire
Posts: 8,929
Thanked 279 Times in 260 Posts
Default

Problem is most places can’t actually weld these days lol they bond or spot weld hole panels on
ajamesc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 02:38 PM
  #15  
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Troll
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Holbury,Southampton
Posts: 3,236
Thanked 228 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by st220kyle View Post
I agree totally with what your saying, the only place that actually looked at it said it would be about £350 worth of work, but said he could make that easier doing paint work so didn't want to do it unless i got the metal work done somewhere else and he just tidied it up and Painted. Nobody I've approached even wanted to do the metal work.
its quite a sound car, never been welded or had any advisories for rust.
I wonder if a place that does Welding for MOTs might be interested? They are well used to having to make metal repair patches ,cills etc. Sounds like the places you tried are only interested in making quick money and don't want to have to earn their money by doing any actual fiddly time consuming work!!
cossynut2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 02:59 PM
  #16  
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User
Thread Starter
 
st220kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somerset
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cossynut2 View Post
I wonder if a place that does Welding for MOTs might be interested? They are well used to having to make metal repair patches ,cills etc. Sounds like the places you tried are only interested in making quick money and don't want to have to earn their money by doing any actual fiddly time consuming work!!
I thought it would of been done by now, i didn't think by this time i would still be looking for someone to do it.
Yes that could be a good shout, I've got someone having a look Monday after work i will see what they say first. It may even have to wait til next year if i dont get anywhere soon as I'm running out of time. tax and insurance are nearly up as I put it away towards end of year before the weather gets to bad.
st220kyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 04:57 PM
  #17  
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: all over the place
Posts: 16,143
Thanked 307 Times in 239 Posts
Default

ive had the same problem, quite a lot of places are only interested in quick turnover stuff so they don't have cars lying about taking up space. I was alao quoted about £400 a side to cut out and replace new arches on a similar sized car but some were wanting someone else to do the metal and prep and they do the final paint. I don't know if that's to pass the buck should you come back with bubbles reappearing?

Last edited by fuzzy; 22-09-2018 at 04:59 PM.
fuzzy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 06:08 PM
  #18  
Adder
Regular Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 253
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Your not going to able to do it half heatedly I'm afraid, I'm in the same predicament as you with a mk4. I gave 400 for it and it's now done a bit less than 40k. There's very little on the rear arches but it is there none the less. I'll do the puma conversion and most probably go for a full hit on the bodywork. I know it's going to be at least a couple of grand. A bit of money yes and no. You could get a modern somthing or other but how often do you see mk4/5 s any more ? What you will have is a nice looking, realiable fun car with easy mechanics. Ask any tech working in dealers, folks regularly walk out with what I think are big big bills and they haven't really got anything remotely unusaul or interesting .

adder
Adder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 06:36 PM
  #19  
Shaun's
PassionFord Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 453
Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Have a go yourself.....you might get 12 months out of it, rust killer, fillers, paint......it’s a cheap car so just play with it, you’re not gonna make it worse are you......
Shaun's is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 11:00 PM
  #20  
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User
Thread Starter
 
st220kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somerset
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Your not going to able to do it half heatedly I'm afraid, I'm in the same predicament as you with a mk4. I gave 400 for it and it's now done a bit less than 40k. There's very little on the rear arches but it is there none the less. I'll do the puma conversion and most probably go for a full hit on the bodywork. I know it's going to be at least a couple of grand. A bit of money yes and no. You could get a modern somthing or other but how often do you see mk4/5 s any more ? What you will have is a nice looking, realiable fun car with easy mechanics. Ask any tech working in dealers, folks regularly walk out with what I think are big big bills and they haven't really got anything remotely unusaul or interesting .

adder
Sounds interesting, are you guna do a thread? I hope to get round to a puma conversion eventually. They are fun little cars, certainly can't complain for the price they can be picked up for now.
st220kyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 11:08 PM
  #21  
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User
Thread Starter
 
st220kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somerset
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Shaun's View Post
Have a go yourself.....you might get 12 months out of it, rust killer, fillers, paint......it’s a cheap car so just play with it, you’re not gonna make it worse are you......
I see what your saying, i enjoy playing about with the mechanical side but i won't enjoy having a go at any body work i don't think. I would never get it to a good standard, making it worse is quite possible
st220kyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 11:20 PM
  #22  
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Troll
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Holbury,Southampton
Posts: 3,236
Thanked 228 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by st220kyle View Post
I see what your saying, i enjoy playing about with the mechanical side but i won't enjoy having a go at any body work i don't think. I would never get it to a good standard, making it worse is quite possible
If you have not got the expertise to do it yourself up to a good standard leave it alone. Maybe the person who is coming on Monday will be able to fix it for you.
cossynut2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 06:14 PM
  #23  
Adder
Regular Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 253
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by st220kyle View Post
Sounds interesting, are you guna do a thread? I hope to get round to a puma conversion eventually. They are fun little cars, certainly can't complain for the price they can be picked up for now.
might do I've just got to get another long term project out thee way first.
Adder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 11:29 AM
  #24  
R4N SS
Professional Waffler
iTrader: (6)
 
R4N SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: ?
Posts: 27,034
Thanked 139 Times in 133 Posts
Default

my puma engine mk5 fiesta was a great fun on track - you will not be disappointed.

Get the rust cut out mate as they are brilliant cars once fettled with
R4N SS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 06:53 PM
  #25  
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User
Thread Starter
 
st220kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somerset
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Good news, the guy came out and had a look for me. Said it is not bad enough to warrant a entire new arch. He will cut out the rust and fabricate a piece to put in the bottom and same again for top of arch. £200-300 was what he said.
he had a good look underneath, had the side skirt off and looked all round the car and said he was amazed at how tidy it was which was good.
so I'm quite pleased with that
st220kyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 10:10 PM
  #26  
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Troll
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Holbury,Southampton
Posts: 3,236
Thanked 228 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by st220kyle View Post
Good news, the guy came out and had a look for me. Said it is not bad enough to warrant a entire new arch. He will cut out the rust and fabricate a piece to put in the bottom and same again for top of arch. £200-300 was what he said.
he had a good look underneath, had the side skirt off and looked all round the car and said he was amazed at how tidy it was which was good.
so I'm quite pleased with that
Good news for you then. I would get him to sort it out for you asap!
cossynut2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 01:46 PM
  #27  
1-PD
Moderator

iTrader: (11)
 
1-PD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: INSIDE M25
Posts: 31,766
Thanked 744 Times in 599 Posts
Default

I had this done on my zs some years back, cost me in 2011 £300 per arch, now a pal of mine up the road is ripping it apart for his track toy covering it all with decals lol
1-PD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:33 PM
  #28  
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User
Thread Starter
 
st220kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somerset
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
Default



st220kyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:37 PM
  #29  
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User
Thread Starter
 
st220kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somerset
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
Default


st220kyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:40 PM
  #30  
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User
Thread Starter
 
st220kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somerset
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Picked it up tonight, all done. I'm very happy with it, when i picked it up the guy who did it showed me he had done some other bits that he noticed needed tidying up and at no extra cost!
st220kyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:14 PM
  #31  
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Troll
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Holbury,Southampton
Posts: 3,236
Thanked 228 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by st220kyle View Post
Picked it up tonight, all done. I'm very happy with it, when i picked it up the guy who did it showed me he had done some other bits that he noticed needed tidying up and at no extra cost!
Looks like a top job!! You must be chuffed!
cossynut2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:23 PM
  #32  
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User
Thread Starter
 
st220kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somerset
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cossynut2 View Post
Looks like a top job!! You must be chuffed!
I'm pleased with it, he sent me pics at different stages so i could see what he had done. The rust was alot worse than it looked in my first post.
st220kyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:25 PM
  #33  
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User
Thread Starter
 
st220kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somerset
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
Default



st220kyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:26 PM
  #34  
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)
 
ajamesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: hampshire
Posts: 8,929
Thanked 279 Times in 260 Posts
Default

Nice looks good
ajamesc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 09:27 AM
  #35  
Glenn_
Glennvestite
iTrader: (1)
 
Glenn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Darlington county durham
Posts: 61,094
Thanked 831 Times in 801 Posts
Default

Wow what a good job. Rust looks nothing till you start pokeing at it Then holes appear.

I would be removing the inner interior panels and get some wax oil squirted in the rear quarters.
Glenn_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
chittstar409
General Car Related Discussion.
0
04-03-2014 09:39 AM
PhilM
General Car Related Discussion.
12
20-01-2012 06:53 PM
alistairolsen
General Car Related Discussion.
4
25-09-2011 01:42 PM
Dave_YD
General Car Related Discussion.
15
11-02-2007 01:07 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bodywork repair advice please


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.