General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

About to by an 86 XR2..

Search this Thread

Old 15-12-2017, 12:51 AM
Wessa
Regular Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Wink About to by an 86 XR2..

How we doing Fella's, its good to be back.. This maybe in the wrong forum but the masses are here

After getting rid of my Sapphire Cosworth, i'm about to go take a look at an 86 XR2. These are rare in New Zealand and this is the first one ive seen, let alone up for sale. It was imported in 88 so next to no rust at all. Not too expensive and in good nick. Just a bit of surface rust here and there but nothing to worry about, its the small stuff that needs attention like a new sunroof seal and catch screws, rear parcel shelf, engine bits and pieces..
When i was an apprentice tech at Dagenham motors in 86, i really took a shine to these. I was 16 at the time and these were great little cars to me which hold more of a soft spot than the Cossies believe it or not.

See as you were good at helping last time, can anyone point me in the right direction for either new or good second hand parts please?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Last edited by Wessa; 15-12-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 15-12-2017, 12:58 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 561 Likes on 523 Posts

Love an xr2 great fun cars
Old 16-12-2017, 08:18 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 399 Likes on 363 Posts

You didnt keep the Saff for long Wessa, you did post on here about it, did it end up with some problems? Hope the XR2 turns out to be a good one.
Old 16-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,033 Likes on 945 Posts

There used to be a popular 2.1 or 2.0 conversion for these and then the zetec heads etc..
Old 19-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Wessa
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by cossynut2
You didnt keep the Saff for long Wessa, you did post on here about it, did it end up with some problems? Hope the XR2 turns out to be a good one.
No, no problems with the Cossie, just got bored with it.
I sold it locally and saw it at a show recently. The guy is super impressed with it.

The XR2 will be a project for sure. I'm not going to do any conversions, just keep it standard. Jeez.. No power steering will take some getting used to again though

Just need to find a good source for parts now. The challenge begins.

Cheers.
Old 19-12-2017, 10:05 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hi Wessa, the guys who have done a lot of work on my Saff over the years at Tremona Garage in Southampton may be able to help you source parts. The younger Brother Robert did an XR2 project and it was like brand new when finished and won many awards and featured in a car magazine.
Finding parts for it in NZ will be pretty hard I would think?
Old 19-12-2017, 11:54 PM
Wessa
Regular Contributor

Hi Wessa, the guys who have done a lot of work on my Saff over the years at Tremona Garage in Southampton may be able to help you source parts. The younger Brother Robert did an XR2 project and it was like brand new when finished and won many awards and featured in a car magazine.
Finding parts for it in NZ will be pretty hard I would think?
Yeah, XR2's were only imported by people who know what they are. Super rare out here so parts are none existent.

I don't suppose you have a contact for Robert? Even if he has nothing, he may be able to point me in the right direction.

Cheers mate.
Old 20-12-2017, 07:09 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Wessa
Yeah, XR2's were only imported by people who know what they are. Super rare out here so parts are none existent.

I don't suppose you have a contact for Robert? Even if he has nothing, he may be able to point me in the right direction.

Cheers mate.
Hi Wessa, I have just spoken to Tremona Garage and I will get Roberts contact details for you later on and pass them on to you. No doubt once you have a link with him he will be able to help you with your XR2 project.
Old 21-12-2017, 01:00 AM
Wessa
Regular Contributor

Hi Wessa, I have just spoken to Tremona Garage and I will get Roberts contact details for you later on and pass them on to you. No doubt once you have a link with him he will be able to help you with your XR2 project.
Thats great mate. No rush, its nearly xmas, everyone will be busy.

Thanks for your time