General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.0i 4x4 Sierra conundrum. Please help with guidance.

Search this Thread

Old 23-07-2017, 10:24 PM
stoner
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2.0i 4x4 Sierra conundrum. Please help with guidance.

Ok I imported a 2.0i 4x4 Sierra with the MT75 and now the head gasket went. Considering that the timing chain has to be removed and could use replacement itself. Considering the engine doesn't have much to offer in performance upgrades and I can't get any parts for it here in the US without importing everything which gets very expensive. I have scrapped the idea of fixing it. I have three options which are common in the US with a wide array of performance options here however each have pros and cons and the cons keep it from making an immediate drop in swap.

I'll review the three choices and describe them for my situation. Remember this has to work with a 4x4 system.

Choices
Option 1: Ford Lima 2.3 SOHC Turbo from a Merkur XR4Ti (American Sierra) swap.

Pros: Turbocharged and will work with EEC-IV. I could use an ECU from the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe for it which was a more aggressive tune.

Plenty of upgrade options and can easily do about 250 to 275 hp on stock bottom end which is plenty enough for a daily driven estate.

This engine is loosely related to a European Pinto motor.

Cons: The 4x4 system requires the driveshaft to go through the oil pan which it can't accommodate unless I fabricate a new oil pan for it.

I'm unsure if the engine mounts work with it.

I'm also unsure if the bellhousing works with it. The MT75 has an integrated bellhousing as you all know so that will be a challenge if it doesn't work.

Option 2: Ford Cologne 2.9 V6

Pros: Plenty of them available as we got them in Rangers and Explorers

The​​​​​​y were used with a 4x4 system in Sierras and Scorpios.

I could fit the Cossie BOA head on it.

Even cheaper to buy the 2.3 Lima Turbo as they are in the junkyards.

Cons: I'm not sure if the MT75 4x4 ever paired with V6. I think it was only the Type 9.

I'm not sure engine mounts from my 2.0 dohc will work.

Option 3: Ford Cologne 4.0 V6 later updated Ranger engine

Pros: Same as 2.9

Same physical size as 2.9

Possible 4.0 BOA Turbo build?

Cons: Same as 2.9

So I need opinions. What say you? Cheers

Last edited by stoner; 23-07-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 23-07-2017, 11:35 PM
jim_robson
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Whatever you do engine wise I would bin the 4wd
Old 24-07-2017, 02:09 AM
Mad_Mat
New Owner

Received 93 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jim_robson
Whatever you do engine wise I would bin the 4wd
What Jim said. + option 1 or option 3.
I would probably sway towards the xr4ti turbo motor. They raced the xr4ti with some success and this helped pave the way for the 1st sierra cossie.
Old 24-07-2017, 06:12 AM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

The V6 was available with MT75 4x4, but it is a different gearbox (bell housing and input shaft) then the 2.0i box.

The 2.9 12v has holes in the top side of the block where the tappets sit, which the BOA doesn't have. Besides that you would need both cylinder heads, cams, the plenum, the exhaust manifolds, pistons and crank. So much easier to just get a whole BOA engine in that case.

When converting the 4.0 with BOA heads you have the same problem with the tappets as on the 2.9. Besides that the block is taller and wider so the timing chain and sump don't fit. It has been done though in 1 or 2 cases, but I think it was not very reliable. I'm not sure if even the standard 4.0 fits the Sierra, the engine (especially the plenum) is a bit higher than the 2.9.
Old 24-07-2017, 06:55 AM
stoner

Originally Posted by Marc sierra
The V6 was available with MT75 4x4, but it is a different gearbox (bell housing and input shaft) then the 2.0i box.

The 2.9 12v has holes in the top side of the block where the tappets sit, which the BOA doesn't have. Besides that you would need both cylinder heads, cams, the plenum, the exhaust manifolds, pistons and crank. So much easier to just get a whole BOA engine in that case.

When converting the 4.0 with BOA heads you have the same problem with the tappets as on the 2.9. Besides that the block is taller and wider so the timing chain and sump don't fit. It has been done though in 1 or 2 cases, but I think it was not very reliable. I'm not sure if even the standard 4.0 fits the Sierra, the engine (especially the plenum) is a bit higher than the 2.9.
Sounds like a hassle. The 2.3 upon research as an NA was used in the Ranger and had a 4x4 version. So I have an oil pan I can scare up and somehow design the new oil pan to fit the 2.3 while accommodating mt75 4x4 stuff.

More importantly, I need to figure out if the 2.3 and mt75 are of the similar height. I will need an adapter made for it. Then there is the input shaft length to worry about once an adapter is in play.
Old 24-07-2017, 07:58 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

So you wont be needing the head gasket and rocker gasket I sent you unless they will be of use if you get the 2.3 engine from the Merkur XR4I? If I was you I would go for the engine which will be the easiest straight swap as the others will need quite a lot of modification and could end up a lot of hassle. The older Fords had lots of parts from different models which can be interchanged.Keep it as simple as you can and you should be ok.
Old 24-07-2017, 03:23 PM
stoner

Originally Posted by cossynut2
So you wont be needing the head gasket and rocker gasket I sent you unless they will be of use if you get the 2.3 engine from the Merkur XR4I? If I was you I would go for the engine which will be the easiest straight swap as the others will need quite a lot of modification and could end up a lot of hassle. The older Fords had lots of parts from different models which can be interchanged.Keep it as simple as you can and you should be ok.
Yeah on a second thought I've decided against fixing it. The cost benefit analysis is not great for it. In stock form it is an improvement. So I opted against it. I'll be sending the gaskets to my friend who has 2.0i Scorpio in fact he is probably the only one in the country (he is across the country on the East Coast and me on the West Coast) besides with this engine. He also has two others as cores.

I would tough it out with this engine but there you can only do so much power wise with it at least compared to the 2.3 turbo. It has forged internals stock and is big nasty engine but it can handle plenty of boost.

It's not shocking to see them go 300 horses at all. It will certainly go farther torque wise than what my mt75 will probably cope with.

Last edited by stoner; 24-07-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 25-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

Did you get the 2.3 or 2.0 DOHC 16v Ford Galaxy / Scorpio engine out there ?

Based on the same block as the 2 litre DOHC 8 valve motor you already have, everything should pretty much bolt on if you block of the oil feed to balancer shafts in the 2.3 sump

If not why not do what Ford did in South Africa and use the SBF ?

Plenty of room in there for a 5.0

Last edited by Mark V8; 25-07-2017 at 07:13 PM.