Old 23-07-2017, 10:24 PM
stoner
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2.0i 4x4 Sierra conundrum. Please help with guidance.

Ok I imported a 2.0i 4x4 Sierra with the MT75 and now the head gasket went. Considering that the timing chain has to be removed and could use replacement itself. Considering the engine doesn't have much to offer in performance upgrades and I can't get any parts for it here in the US without importing everything which gets very expensive. I have scrapped the idea of fixing it. I have three options which are common in the US with a wide array of performance options here however each have pros and cons and the cons keep it from making an immediate drop in swap.

I'll review the three choices and describe them for my situation. Remember this has to work with a 4x4 system.

Choices
Option 1: Ford Lima 2.3 SOHC Turbo from a Merkur XR4Ti (American Sierra) swap.

Pros: Turbocharged and will work with EEC-IV. I could use an ECU from the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe for it which was a more aggressive tune.

Plenty of upgrade options and can easily do about 250 to 275 hp on stock bottom end which is plenty enough for a daily driven estate.

This engine is loosely related to a European Pinto motor.

Cons: The 4x4 system requires the driveshaft to go through the oil pan which it can't accommodate unless I fabricate a new oil pan for it.

I'm unsure if the engine mounts work with it.

I'm also unsure if the bellhousing works with it. The MT75 has an integrated bellhousing as you all know so that will be a challenge if it doesn't work.

Option 2: Ford Cologne 2.9 V6

Pros: Plenty of them available as we got them in Rangers and Explorers

The​​​​​​y were used with a 4x4 system in Sierras and Scorpios.

I could fit the Cossie BOA head on it.

Even cheaper to buy the 2.3 Lima Turbo as they are in the junkyards.

Cons: I'm not sure if the MT75 4x4 ever paired with V6. I think it was only the Type 9.

I'm not sure engine mounts from my 2.0 dohc will work.

Option 3: Ford Cologne 4.0 V6 later updated Ranger engine

Pros: Same as 2.9

Same physical size as 2.9

Possible 4.0 BOA Turbo build?

Cons: Same as 2.9

So I need opinions. What say you? Cheers

Last edited by stoner; 23-07-2017 at 10:42 PM.