General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mondeo Mk3 TDDI intermittent fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 08:19 AM
JonniePrice
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo Mk3 TDDI intermittent fuel issue

I have a 51 plate tddi Mondeo estate. I have a problem with fuel, it seems to be starved intermittently, the car hunts in gear and when you dip the clutch it hunt and eventually stops, seemingly running out of fuel. It happens when going up hills, seems to be when the tank is not full to the brim. There are no codes for a pump (main) issue. If I leave the car for a period of time the fault clears and I have done between 50 and 800 miles before it returns. I have taken the inline pump off and tested it, which seems to be working. I have gained access to the tank sender unit ( which doesn’t work) to see if there is a split in the pipe causing air intake, however I was unable to remove the body of the sender as it seemed to be located to the bottom of the tank. So my question is 1. Has anyone ever had this issue, and how /what did you get around it.&2. How do I remove the sender from the fuel tank without just pulling?
I have ordered an inline pump to see if this clears it. Don’t want to scrap the car, it runs like a watch (usually) and has just had 4 new tires after the mot. (Which is when the fault started??) Many thanks Jonnie