General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Guinea Pig question..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 11:50 PM
RST Seeker
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guinea Pig question..

my fiancee's guinea pig is only a baby.. and is well looked after.. but from today.. he started having problems.. now when i picked him up.. he jumped out from ma hands and landed on the floor.. im 6' 2 thats a big fcukin fall.. and landed on my kitchen floor.. but he landed on his paws.. he seemed fine and was still himself.. he is constipated but i dunno weather thats todo with the food he eats.. he has plenty of food and water.. but the whats worring me is.. when he trys to walk.. he keels over onto his side and starts a 'fitting' movement.. like he's panicking.. he cant right himself onto his paws.. i have to manuelly pick him up and place him down again.. he doesnt scream or make noisers when trying to move.. when he trys to walk he like 'limps' as it were forward.. but then keels over.. i hope to god it wasnt because he jumped out of ma hands.. as i wouldnt be able to forgive maself for it.. constipation CAN cause ginny pigs to react slower and restrict their movements.. but it cant cause the keeling over can it?

can someone shed some light on the plz.. as i need to know ASAP.. were gunna ring the PDSA on monday and get an emercenice appointment..

thanks for ya help
Old 09-04-2005, 11:51 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

only way is to take him to the vets dude
looks like the fall has something to do with it to me
Old 09-04-2005, 11:54 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

ouch does sound nasty, deffo a vet thing I think.

If it was in serious distress thou it would screech quite loudly.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:55 PM
RST Seeker
Regular Contributor

yeah.. i know its fcukin shite.. he just jumped and landed on the floor.. but he was fine.. he didnt have no problems afterwards.. it was only just a few hrs after when things started to go wrong.. i know it sounds daft but.. i do actrully care for animals and i dont like to see them suffering.. it couldnt be something todo with the constipation could it?
Old 09-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

might just be delayed shock or something?! As said thou best to get the vets advice mate
Old 09-04-2005, 11:57 PM
RST Seeker
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by MadMac
ouch does sound nasty, deffo a vet thing I think.

If it was in serious distress thou it would screech quite loudly.
Yeah exactly m8.. but he dont screech... he was his normal self.. he started raiding his food bowl.. he makes the usual ginny pig sounds.. and the chomping sound which means he's content.. he doesnt scream in pain when i touch him.. just startin to worry.. he lets us pick him up.. and stuff.. just cant but ma finger on whats wrong with him
Old 09-04-2005, 11:57 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

i had the same thing happen to me when i was younger and i was holding a mates hamster
he landed on his teeth though and they was still on the floor when i picked him up
Old 09-04-2005, 11:59 PM
RST Seeker
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by POPEYE
i had the same thing happen to me when i was younger and i was holding a mates hamster
he landed on his teeth though and they was still on the floor when i picked him up
Pops lol.. u always make me laugh even tho i dont feel like it now coz i wanna find out whats up with him.. but i couldnt help maself but laugh at that lol
Old 10-04-2005, 12:00 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

No harm takin it to the vet, afterall I love my one, its my little minion while I sit on the pc.... untill the fucker pisses on me that is
Old 10-04-2005, 12:02 AM
RST Seeker
Regular Contributor

yah im deffo gunna get him to the vet.. ma fiancee is gunna ring the emergencie helpline... and get him in as soon as poss.. but i dont want them to put him down.. becuase thats how they solve everything.. i do think its either the fall that hurt him... or the constipation thats making him go like this.. becuase ginny pigs are known to have bad constipation when eating to much food..
Old 10-04-2005, 12:05 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

My one must eat about eight times its own body weight in a day, never had any problems with consapation, might not be feeding it the right food

What do you feed it?

And they are quite fragile, shock really does em in.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:20 AM
RST Seeker
Regular Contributor

erm he was recommend to have rabbit food.. that was what he was on in the petshop... plz tell me this is ok?? he has greens I.E Lettuce and stuff
Old 10-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Chipperx2
Advanced PassionFord User

U need to freed then fresh veg etc, and u can buy conditiioning tonic for there water
Old 10-04-2005, 12:26 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

My mates had them when I was growing up and always fed them rabbit dry food but the hutch always had loads and loads of fresh greens in. So much that you could barely find the animals at times.

Hopefully its nothing to worry about but I had a couple of gerbils that started to keel and it wasnt good news for them, however they were old.

Hope you get it sorted mate
Old 10-04-2005, 12:27 AM
RST Seeker
Regular Contributor

ive just read some of the symptums on a website.. and he might have a Vitamin C diffiency, other signs point to scurvy.. to treat these symptums Fresh Vitamin C is needed i.e fresh greens..
Old 10-04-2005, 12:29 AM
RST Seeker
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by saff_cossie
My mates had them when I was growing up and always fed them rabbit dry food but the hutch always had loads and loads of fresh greens in. So much that you could barely find the animals at times.

Hopefully its nothing to worry about but I had a couple of gerbils that started to keel and it wasnt good news for them, however they were old.

Hope you get it sorted mate
yeah thanks m8 i hope i do to.. i know some people think its sad to care for animals.. but i dont give a toss.. i like careing for them.. i just hope it aint the fall that has made an impact on it.. becuase it can cause MAJOR stress/Shock.. but what puzzles me is.. he dont seem stressed..he is very content.. and chirpy
Old 10-04-2005, 12:40 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Young animals often do daft things like that mate. G/f's mums kitten, a few years back jumped from the kitchen bench and broke a leg. All is fine now though. We have two kittens and they have no perception of height.

There must be a guniea pig forum out there or if not, one for hutched animals where they might be a resident vet kind of like mechanics on here.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:45 AM
RST Seeker
Regular Contributor

yeah thanks alot for ya help.. ill keep ya posted on what happens.. hope it aint bad news tho... fcukin heartbreakin
Old 10-04-2005, 12:47 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Yeah no worries mate and yeah keep us posted
Old 10-04-2005, 01:55 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Our one eats tones of green, and I mean loads, gets a good couple of handfulls of green beans (wich seem to be the fave) with each bowl of dried food (gurty guinie or summink)

Hope it pulls out

Also if you have a cage, they like to be put out in the sun and to graze on grass if you have a garden. Seem to like that
Old 10-04-2005, 02:22 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Guinea Pig question..

Old 10-04-2005, 03:49 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Just been reading into this

RABBIT FOOD IS NOT SUTABLE FOR GUNIEA PIG

I didn't think there was a difference, but as I have fed mine Gurty Guniea all its life I wondered what if.

Aparantly Rabit food has no Vitamin C in it as they dont need it. Guniea pigs DO need vitamin C

So your right, does sound like its got scrvy to me
Old 10-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

The dried concentrate foods are shit for animals. Best stuff to feed them on is fresh stuff. With our 4 rabbits we spend a lot each week just on their veg. Grass is good in sensible quantities as are dandelion leaves (not flower).

Get him to the vet asap mate.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Jod'sRS2K
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

guinea pigs must only eat guinea pig food, rabbits can eat either. rabbit food lacks the vits and mins that piggys need.

as for the random keeling over thing, definatly ring sumone, the rspca will help if u ring them now.
it mite have sum sort of fluid on the brain from the fall (sorry!) or he could just have tummy ache. give him sum greens for tonite and NOOOOOO dry food or iceburg lettice! good luck

(please note im not a wierd kno it all, i did 4 years at animal college)
Old 10-04-2005, 06:08 PM
RST Seeker
Regular Contributor

thanx alot for all ya help.... he seems a bit brighter today as we have been hand feedin him this morning.....found out that his brother was stoppin him from gettin to his food.... we are also takin him off rabbit food

thanx again for ya help
Old 10-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Think there is a usefull website. I'll bell my sis as she's into these four legged critters
Old 10-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Our house mate Louise was a zoo keeper and has done animal management (kept that quiet). She says from what's described the guinea pig has gone into shock. It's apparently how they cope. She suggested trying to entice it with its fave food. If its not perked up by the morning get it to the vets to be checked over.

HTH
Old 11-04-2005, 01:31 AM
RST Seeker
Regular Contributor

hes sitting with me now and seems loads happier....we been feeding him by hand all day and he seems to be coming back to his usual self fanx alot for all your help, il keep u posted
Old 11-04-2005, 06:56 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Our one eats loads of carrot - probably his fav fresh food.

The fat git eats cucumber, tomatoes and a few mushrooms too. Hay is quite important for them as well I think

Hope he gets better mate.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:15 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

tomatoes and lettuice give mine the shits
Old 11-04-2005, 04:45 PM
RST Seeker
Regular Contributor

well.. yesterday he was a reet fat fcuker.. he had 2 pots of food.. ma mum got some speical ginny pig food for him today.. those Greenflakes.. he loves them.. and i dont think he is constipated anymore.. coz when i picked him up.. i had shit in ma palm

he has been drinking out of a droplet gadget for a few times.. just to get some water into him.. and now he is drinking on his own from his water bowl.. he hasnt keeled over since we have beem feeding him like this.. so i think his gunna be ok thanks for the help people.. ya stars
Old 11-04-2005, 05:37 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Sorted