General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Why do fellow members scam you on here

Search this Thread

Old 28-12-2016, 08:01 PM
RetroTed
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do fellow members scam you on here

so I popped a thread up a little while back asking for a 90 spec spoiler and bumper for my Rst project that I'm restoring and a member on here and I will name and shame bezzy41 got in touch and said he had a bumper. A deal was struck and happy days I thought
my first error was he said he couldn't accept PayPal only a bank transfer which raised my suspicions however I thought there wouldn't be a problem as he was a member on here and we're all a family right !
anyway I sent the money and after a week no bumper so after contacting mr t Doncaster he claimed that the delivery company may be a bit slow, so I gave him a couple more days
after 10 days it was clear that he hadn't sent the bumper and gave me a cock and bull name for a courier company that doesn't exist
after contacting him every day for the past 2 weeks I still haven't had a bumper or my money back despite hit telling me daily even up to today that he's so sorry and how embarrassed he is and that he's a genuine guy and he was returning my cash.
im still waiting and I'm like most on here a hard working guy who can't afford to lose money to a worthless scammer
I'm never going to see my bumper or my cash so a tale, buyer beware always use PayPal and pay the extra don't ever send as a gift or walk away
if anyone knows this low life pls pm me his details
retroted
Old 28-12-2016, 08:15 PM
Glen Waine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He tried scamming me too .
When I was looking for 3dr cosworth bits .
He said he had a front bumper. ...genuine for £190 .obviously raised my suspicions at that price ...He then sent me a photo of an rs500 bumper that rs classics had for sale at this point it got comical with him insisting he had bought that same bumper for £150 . The guys a huge scam artist and deserves a slap .
Old 28-12-2016, 08:17 PM
RetroTed

Default Scammer

yeah I've googled his name
and he's done it on other sites too, would
love to meet him, I'll break his jaw
Old 28-12-2016, 08:18 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 327 Likes on 306 Posts

Sorry to hear that mate I've been stung on here in the past thinking the same in reality yes their ate good people and bad and their all just names on a screen until you may happen to meet at shows ect but you still don't know them trust nobody PayPal yeah all well and good if your an honest buyer if not it's to easy to scam the seller I prefer a face to face collection or bank transfer with address given
Old 28-12-2016, 08:40 PM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 330 Likes on 309 Posts

i'd never do bank transfer, did it once to germany for an item on ebay. Took forever and was lucky to actually receive the item I paid for.

Paypal and pay the extra for the security
The following users liked this post:
JK99 (30-12-2016)
Old 28-12-2016, 08:40 PM
RetroTed

Originally Posted by Glen Waine
He tried scamming me too .
When I was looking for 3dr cosworth bits .
He said he had a front bumper. ...genuine for £190 .obviously raised my suspicions at that price ...He then sent me a photo of an rs500 bumper that rs classics had for sale at this point it got comical with him insisting he had bought that same bumper for £150 . The guys a huge scam artist and deserves a slap .
did he mention where he was from or give a name like tom or Derek ?
Old 28-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 316 Likes on 289 Posts

Do not pay for anything unless it's PayPal don't listen to people's bullshit excuses, I'd see the point it it was a long term member like Jay or rod ect but I've never seen that person post. It's just not worth the risk for the small fee you pay for peice of mind.
Old 28-12-2016, 08:56 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Genuine people will always accept paypal
Old 28-12-2016, 08:57 PM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 330 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam-M
Do not pay for anything unless it's PayPal don't listen to people's bullshit excuses, I'd see the point it it was a long term member like Jay or rod ect but I've never seen that person post. It's just not worth the risk for the small fee you pay for peice of mind.
looking at his profile he's been on since 2015 but only 10 posts so not someone that would likely be seen/known to others
Old 28-12-2016, 09:13 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

My opligger box came direct from Italy no PayPal no bullshit involved saved me a good chunk bank transfer with checked address not everybody uses PayPal do they
Old 28-12-2016, 09:14 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by smiley
My opligger box came direct from Italy no PayPal no bullshit involved saved me a good chunk bank transfer with checked address not everybody uses PayPal do they
I mean forum members not a company ffs
Old 28-12-2016, 09:16 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

I mean forum members not a company ffs
Not a company a forum member ffs fucking know it all
Old 28-12-2016, 09:36 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

I would never accept Paypal unless it was from someone I fully trusted.

Everyone knows how insecure Paypal is, especially for sellers and scammer buyers. Sadly it works both ways.
Old 28-12-2016, 09:37 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by visa_broke
looking at his profile he's been on since 2015 but only 10 posts so not someone that would likely be seen/known to others
that should be a huge red flag to anyone

Do any of those who were scammed have the guys address ?
Old 28-12-2016, 09:46 PM
Glen Waine

I should of got his address .....ended up just laughing at him
Old 28-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Glen Waine

Only thing I have is an email address .
Old 28-12-2016, 10:18 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Need to find something else he has for sale, get his address to go and collect...then start harassing him lol
Old 29-12-2016, 02:40 PM
bigdel
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

You can't take a person's 'membership' of a public forum as a measure of trustworthiness. There are people out there who would not think twice about conning you, or your 90 year old granny out of their last penny.
If they can't/won't take a PayPal payment (even if you offer to cover the Paypal charge), then walk away. Don't send them money as a family & friend or transfer the cash directly from your bank account. Either way you'll have no comeback whatsoever if it turns out to be a scam.

Always pay via PayPal using the 'goods or services' method.

The above opinion is formulated from my own personal experience of being scammed out of £300 a few years back over a festival ticket.
Old 29-12-2016, 03:01 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

assume everyones a robbing cunt, that way you can only be pleasantly surprised and not disappointed.
mark (02-01-2017)
Old 29-12-2016, 05:41 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by fuzzy
assume everyones a robbing cunt, that way you can only be pleasantly surprised and not disappointed.
Quite true.

If it's an item of value...go and buy it off them face to face.

If you're a buyer..or a scammer buyer, use Paypal. If you're a seller...IMO never use Paypal unless you 100% trust the buyer.

Anyone who thinks Paypal is safe for this type of thing is either a fool or extremely naive. You just need to see the many threads about both who've been scammed on ebay to see how bad it is. As much as I have stuff I could sell on ebay, I would never take the risk of some scamming fucker stealing them via Paypal ( not to mention the crazy charges lol )
Old 29-12-2016, 06:27 PM
steveboyslim
PassionFord Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That is not correct, as an example I have supplied parts all over the world, all paid by bank transfer, never mugged anyone off, I do not accept paypal as it offers little protection.

Steve
Old 29-12-2016, 06:33 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

I always do a little research about the person i buy from. It don't take a lot to find out a great deal about a person either dodgy or not.
Old 29-12-2016, 06:34 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Ive been lucky and i havent been robbed off anyone on here.

I wouldnt dare dream of robbing anyone and i will always try my best to help people too.
Old 29-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Magnum_grey

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RetroTed
so I popped a thread up a little while back asking for a 90 spec spoiler and bumper for my Rst project that I'm restoring and a member on here and I will name and shame bezzy41 got in touch and said he had a bumper. A deal was struck and happy days I thought
my first error was he said he couldn't accept PayPal only a bank transfer which raised my suspicions however I thought there wouldn't be a problem as he was a member on here and we're all a family right !
anyway I sent the money and after a week no bumper so after contacting mr t Doncaster he claimed that the delivery company may be a bit slow, so I gave him a couple more days
after 10 days it was clear that he hadn't sent the bumper and gave me a cock and bull name for a courier company that doesn't exist
after contacting him every day for the past 2 weeks I still haven't had a bumper or my money back despite hit telling me daily even up to today that he's so sorry and how embarrassed he is and that he's a genuine guy and he was returning my cash.
im still waiting and I'm like most on here a hard working guy who can't afford to lose money to a worthless scammer
I'm never going to see my bumper or my cash so a tale, buyer beware always use PayPal and pay the extra don't ever send as a gift or walk away
if anyone knows this low life pls pm me his details
retroted
I cant stand people like this and due to my nature, I have learned the hard way many times, especially when it comes to most that sell in the used motor trade!

My last car I bought from a garage was a complete lemon and had to spend a fortune on it to get it up to scratch. I let my guard down to it being my first car from any so called reputable, as I have always bought privately and looked over everything with a fine tooth comb.

I also recently attempted to buy a focus gearbox and other miscellaneous parts for an MTX 75 conversion off an ebay member with 100% poz feedback out side of ebay using paypal. For over a month the guy promised me the moon and sounded genuine, so I cancelled the dispute due to him sounding genuine over the phone and two weeks later....Nothing but excuses. I desperately phoned up paypal and explained my situation and luckily they let me re open the dispute I cancelled. The guy had the nerve to tell me He couldnt physically refund me due to paypal not allowing him to do so, because of the open dispute.....

Luckily I got my money back on that instance, so I have learned that you should NEVER EVER use anything else except paypal when dealing with strangers over the internet, and NEVER be too trusting like me and cancel a dispute before you finally recieve your item/refund because in virtually all cases, paypal wont let you reopen a closed dispute!

Hope you get it sorted out though mate!

Last edited by Magnum_grey; 29-12-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 29-12-2016, 07:13 PM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

i dont no how some c..ts sleep at night never heard of anythink like this only more recent who ever gets scammed need to inform the rozzers at least they can start a file on these scumbags i bought a motor bike a couple of years ago and didnt go through paypal i wouldnt dream of it now
Old 29-12-2016, 07:18 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

ive not used ebay a great deal, only about 70 or so transactions but ive never had any problem yet, every deals been without issue.
if possibly/localish id rather collect , if high value I would make a point of it.
Old 29-12-2016, 07:29 PM
ray barker

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

thing is ted these people arnt genuine members they become members to scam people like me an you
Old 29-12-2016, 07:37 PM
lacey

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I got some parts from abroad a few years ago
He would only do transfer
The bank said don't do it as there was not insurance
That I would get it .
So I weighed up whether I could afford to lose
£1500 ( answer being no lol )
So I jumped on a plane filled my case with some trick
Bits handed over the cash and jumped on a plane home
I was back in my house 16hours later with
My goodies

It can be hit or miss and I was lucky
Old 29-12-2016, 08:06 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

A forum member off here tried getting one over me.
Had bought quite a lot off him and had sent around £700 over a few transactions within a few months.
The parts he was sending were getting worse and he was always full of excuses as to how he could not send pics,the reason became clear when I opened the boxes up.
He refunded me once after some chasing and excuses and I sent the rubbish back he sent.
I then bought some vgc parts from him,there were pics but not the set he was sending me,the set I was getting were in better condition than those in the pic.
I immediately had my doubts and paid the PayPal fees,luckily for me as what turned up was just rusty perforated rotten crap.
He denied it saying they were fine and since he refunded me on the last item he wasn't doing it again and since I paid by PayPal gift then tough luck,unbeknown to him I didn't.
Opened a case and got refunded,sent them back and never heard from him again.
I got ripped off once through eBay/PayPal for an rs turbo loom,£250 it was.
I wi nut,the seller died and his wife was sorting it so I was told by her,never arrived and it went on that long I couldn't open a case,me being nice due to the circumstances but I got fleeced by someone with a lot of pos feedback.
Trust no one and always pay the fees.
Old 29-12-2016, 10:21 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

There are a few you can trust Lee
Old 30-12-2016, 02:56 AM
stoner
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good point and that's my biggest fear. Anything I need to buy for my Sierra. I have to go international and being on the other side of the pond I am very vulnerable. I have very little recourse if I get fooked.
Old 30-12-2016, 08:44 AM
STeve

Received 869 Likes on 697 Posts

scammers target any forum be it car based or not, trading via pm and using things like paypal freinds payment or western union or even bank transfer unless you know and trust the seller 100% is a mugs game as you may as well burn your money, and buying off someone thats quite new with no reputation you were rife for mugging

Last edited by STeve; 30-12-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 30-12-2016, 09:30 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Always a good idea to pay via PayPal with a credit card too if you have one, that way you can do a charge back if things don't go to plan.
STeve (30-12-2016)
Old 30-12-2016, 10:01 AM
nigel b
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

sometimes it can also work the other way
i bought a datalogger off a guy in the states and it took me a while for me to get the money to him
he sent the item before he recieved my money which surprised me
Old 30-12-2016, 03:29 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

if your selling and you get scammed does paypal remove money from your bank account if they side against you if you have nothing directly in your paypal account?
Old 30-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Sierrasideways

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

This guy bezzy41 tries to scam me too for some 3DR hubs. Replied via email and his name came up as BERIAN YATES. Obviously no money exchanged as he was bullshitting about the hubs and wouldn't provide pictures or details about them.
Old 30-12-2016, 03:37 PM
bigdel

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Not always.

We sold a couple of Focus RS front wishbones.

they were sent in good time using a tracked service. They buyer claimed to have never received them, but because we could provide tracking and delivery confirmation (a signature was obtained), PayPal did not penalise us in any form. We could not claim from the courier as we didn't take out the extra insurance

I believe the seller also got his money back as he'd paid for goods and services using a credit card
Old 30-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Sierrasideways

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

Picture of his name from email:

Old 30-12-2016, 06:36 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzy
if your selling and you get scammed does paypal remove money from your bank account if they side against you if you have nothing directly in your paypal account?
Yes. You have to have a bank account tied to your paypal account.
Old 30-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdel
You can't take a person's 'membership' of a public forum as a measure of trustworthiness. There are people out there who would not think twice about conning you, or your 90 year old granny out of their last penny.
Exactly PF aint what it used to be where we all either knew each other or knew someone that had dealings with the third party so we all worked on word and mouth now a lot of the older members don't use pf and new users arnt known so its very easy to get scammed