General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Dartford Crossing tolls and fines

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Dartford Crossing tolls and fines

If I used the crossing on Saturday taking my Mrs on a day trip and forgot about the charge. Telephoned today to make the payment only to be told it was late and no payment could be made. The guy checked to see the status of my alleged crossing only to tell me there was no record of my vehicle having passed either way.

Got me thinking, with such a short window to pay how much are the thieving blighters making off the disproportionate fines? Anybody been stung with one as have heard it's £70 per crossing which would make a very expensive return trip.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:42 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

I've had a few friends go over and forget to pay. They've rung up days after the due date and got told because it's their first time, the fine would be wavered. That was last year though when the updated toll system was still quite new.

A friend got fined £35 each way the other day for not paying - awaiting to hear the outcome of that one.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:41 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

I crossed a few months ago and totally forgot to pay afterwards. They contacted me and I just had to pay it retrospectively, I didn't have to pay the fine.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Mk2fiestachris
Someone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad crossed last year just after they put the system in and forgot but they just let him off as it was still new, don't think they'll let you off anymore though.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

It's such a narrow payment window and as a highway signage designer their signs are at best crap. It's almost like the system is geared towards issuing fines rather than collecting crossing payments
Old 09-05-2016, 12:14 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

happened to me so i phoned them up and as it was the first time they let me off.

aint been back since
Old 09-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

I've have an account set up, as use it often, when they don't shut the fucking thing due to a light breeze or broken down push bike!

I've not always been charged using it, especially if sitting between to lorrys!

Trending Topics

Old 09-05-2016, 01:08 PM
_Jimmy_
Regular Contributor

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Aye, bloody stupid that you have to pay within a day.

As I knew I would be using it on the way to the channel tunnel and would probably forget to pay afterwards I put my card details into their online system so it took a payment automatically when I crossed.
Didn't even realize I'd passed a toll as I crossed it either, very easy not to notice and then get a fine. What a scam.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:42 PM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

if your register for a payg account it simply takes payment when you use it, only took a few mins to set up and saves all this aggro
Old 09-05-2016, 02:11 PM
_Jimmy_
Regular Contributor

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-PD
if your register for a payg account it simply takes payment when you use it, only took a few mins to set up and saves all this aggro
That's what I did as someone told me about it beforehand.

Trouble is when you don't even know you've used it, there's not much to indicate you've just used a toll road and will be fined unless you pay within a day, especially when you're watching other traffic and trying to figure out which lane to get in etc.

Although fair enough that they let you off the first time, presumably because of the points I just mentioned. I reckon you could cross it multiple times by the time they let you know about the first fine though.

Last edited by _Jimmy_; 09-05-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:49 PM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 150 Likes on 146 Posts

Had to cross it last year, for a work training course, as it was an overnight stop and I was running a bit late, I thought I'd save Sky some money and pulled over for 20 minutes so I'd cross after the 10pm cutoff... I assumed the company were paying, so didn't give it a thought on the way back and, about six months later got stung for 35quid! And it was my first crossing!?
Next time, I'll cover the plates up! Lol
Old 09-05-2016, 09:55 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

One big con. The charges are originally set up to pay for the cost of the bridge/crossing to be built. Would have been paid for many years ago now
Old 09-05-2016, 10:00 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Oranoco
It's such a narrow payment window and as a highway signage designer their signs are at best crap. It's almost like the system is geared towards issuing fines rather than collecting crossing payments
Same with all such things, like speeding etc. It's all geared towards maximum profit and extortion !
Old 10-05-2016, 12:25 AM
Big AL
PassionFord Regular

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.highwaysindustry.com/toll...ey-didnt-make/
Old 10-05-2016, 12:31 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

If the want to automate such things, then they should be providing you with evidence of your vehicle passing any tolls in order that you can pay a correct amount, and doing so in a sensible timescale of passing the toll.

And as with the above article....anyone falsely accused and harassed should be entitled to compensation due to their sheer incompetence....and if it's found to be deliberate, criminal charges should be brought against those issuing the tolls.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:46 AM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

Just another money making scam
Old 10-05-2016, 10:44 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Clearly Highways England have an awful lot to answer to but will no doubt bring the shutters down and just carry on being a shower of shit!
Old 12-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Big AL
PassionFord Regular

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.highwaysindustry.com/how-...wsletter+No272
The following users liked this post:
xr2tubliam (17-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 11:04 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Have a word with your government. Ours abolished toll crossings.....
Old 12-05-2016, 11:41 AM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default crossings

indeed-no toll bridges in scotland now,ableit the forth road bridge can be a complete shambles
i digress the simple thing to do is keep a record of all appeals and any costs etc inc your time and proceed to a small claims court if overcharged /ripped off
bill your time at a sensible hourly rate-they probably wont even defend it..or on reciept of a summons will sort it out..
Old 12-05-2016, 02:13 PM
Vacuman
PassionFord Regular

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If the want to automate such things, then they should be providing you with evidence of your vehicle passing any tolls in order that you can pay a correct amount, and doing so in a sensible timescale of passing the toll.

And as with the above article....anyone falsely accused and harassed should be entitled to compensation due to their sheer incompetence....and if it's found to be deliberate, criminal charges should be brought against those issuing the tolls.
They do. They send photos. My daughter borrowed my company car, got lost going to Lakeside and ended up going over the bridge, doing a u-turn and back again under the tunnel. Someone told her that if you come straight back within a certain time they don't charge (good joke) so next thing I know I'm being chased by my firm to sort it out and pay any fines.

Contacted the toll people, gave them the reference and they said there would be no fine to pay (first time offence?). All in all, very happy with their customer service. As for the principles of paying a toll on something already paid for...that's a different matter.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:21 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Vacuman
They do. They send photos. My daughter borrowed my company car, got lost going to Lakeside and ended up going over the bridge, doing a u-turn and back again under the tunnel. Someone told her that if you come straight back within a certain time they don't charge (good joke) so next thing I know I'm being chased by my firm to sort it out and pay any fines.

Contacted the toll people, gave them the reference and they said there would be no fine to pay (first time offence?). All in all, very happy with their customer service. As for the principles of paying a toll on something already paid for...that's a different matter.
So you're saying they do send photos to every motorist they claim has passed the toll prior to them needing to make any payment ? Which would be the safe option for them to ensure to cock ups.

Certainly from posts above, it doesnt sound like this happens, nor does it on the M50 toll around Dublin.

It seems to rely on people paying regardless of whether a vehicle has been detected or not and they provide no means of checking if the vehicle has passed through either.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 12-05-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Vacuman
PassionFord Regular

No, they send the 'fine' and photo evidence, same as speeding fines I guess. 99% pay on time
Old 12-05-2016, 08:09 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

As I thought.

Until they provide solid evidence a vehicle has passed prior to requesting payment, the system will be corrupt

At worst they should at least offer motorists a means of checking if their vehicle has been detected and when prior to making any payments.

But they dont, deliberately, so they can falsely charge etc
Old 12-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Vacuman
PassionFord Regular

Is a photo (two in fact) not solid evidence? Are you suggesting they randomly send fines to car owners who have never been near the bridge?

It's not a matter of being detected. Rightly or wrongly, if you use the Dartford crossing you should pay. The fees are declared and by crossing you have contracted to pay the fee. It is not an issue of only paying if you 'get caught'.

We all sometimes 'get away' without paying for something or escape a fine. Doesn't make it right? How many of you would walk out of a restaurant after a meal without paying if you could get away with it?

As I said, the letter refers to a fine but they were good about it and all I had to pay was the £2.50 (which I never got back from my daughter !!)
Old 12-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Vacuman
PassionFord Regular

Having re-read Stevietubo's comments let me be clear. Only those who do not pay on time are sent fines and photos. His suggestion that everyone who uses a toll system should be, in effect, invoiced with evidence, to avoid corruption is, in my opinion, stupid. That would add millions to the costs for no real benefit.

True, someone could put on false plates, whizz over the toll and the true owner would get fined, no different to speed cameras. A small risk but not the discussion here.

Sorry Mr Turbo but you seem to exist in a paranoid world where you believe every government agency is out to scam innocent people using every angle possible. Feel free to share the evidence of all the people falsely charged with using the Dartford crossing, the M6 toll-road, the Seven crossing etc.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:33 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Vacuman
Having re-read Stevietubo's comments let me be clear. Only those who do not pay on time are sent fines and photos. His suggestion that everyone who uses a toll system should be, in effect, invoiced with evidence, to avoid corruption is, in my opinion, stupid. That would add millions to the costs for no real benefit.

True, someone could put on false plates, whizz over the toll and the true owner would get fined, no different to speed cameras. A small risk but not the discussion here.

Sorry Mr Turbo but you seem to exist in a paranoid world where you believe every government agency is out to scam innocent people using every angle possible. Feel free to share the evidence of all the people falsely charged with using the Dartford crossing, the M6 toll-road, the Seven crossing etc.
Wake up.....they are out to scam the hard working from their money and squander it everywhere.
Old 13-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

I don't mind paying for something I use, even though the toll should have been abolished years ago. The very short window of payment, no mention of the charges value on any approach and the limited signing leaves the system open to ridicule. There are a number of cases where innocent drivers have been fined and the operator just won't acknowledge their balls up
Old 13-05-2016, 12:05 PM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default mistakes

I don't mind paying for something I use, even though the toll should have been abolished years ago. The very short window of payment, no mention of the charges value on any approach and the limited signing leaves the system open to ridicule. There are a number of cases where innocent drivers have been fined and the operator just won't acknowledge their balls up
typical goverment high handed approach
like the sorn fiasco when this online thing started-i was sorning vehicles i bought on day of purchase using the green slip-they were sending me red letter fines a few months later-mistakes they said lol aye but if i had not had the reference numbers the incompetent gits would have let me pay the fines...

moving on we have dvla -lost untold folks motorcycle entitlement-even folk who could show it on the licence copies etc were being told they would have to re-sit tests-pure joke,sadly its on us as the general motoring public
Old 13-05-2016, 01:28 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Any case where innocent motorists have been harassed, threatened with fines or worse, when they know it's deliberately false then those involved should be charged with fraud/extortion as well as harassment. Just palming it off as a mistake simply is not good enough.
There should be no excuse for deliberate or malicious harassment of innocent motorists in order to try and extort money from them. Anywhere else that would be considered criminal !
Old 13-05-2016, 03:36 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

As I thought.

Until they provide solid evidence a vehicle has passed prior to requesting payment, the system will be corrupt

At worst they should at least offer motorists a means of checking if their vehicle has been detected and when prior to making any payments.

But they dont, deliberately, so they can falsely charge etc
I don't get what your saying here. you think that motorists should have access to their data so they can see if they've been clocked crossing before deciding whether to dodge payment or pay retrospectively ?

Last edited by fuzzy; 13-05-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 13-05-2016, 03:57 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by fuzzy
I don't get what your saying here. you think that motorists should have access to their data so they can see if they've been clocked crossing before deciding whether to dodge payment or pay retrospectively ?
Of course they should be able to verify if they've been detected crossing before payment is made.
Old 13-05-2016, 04:08 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

why would they help people dodge payment ?
Old 13-05-2016, 04:14 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

you mean, why would they help ensure correct payments and no false accusations, threats and penalties against innocent people ?
Old 13-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

because the French are kind like that

I believe it's French owned, we should deport the owners after voting to leave the eu! or something like that
Old 13-05-2016, 04:39 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

you mean, why would they help ensure correct payments and no false accusations, threats and penalties against innocent people ?
id expect to pay if I'm using something I'm meant to pay for. I wouldn't expect to be able to log on and see if ive been detected crossing before deciding whether to pay or not, that's just silly. likewise I would expect a photo proof as in the post above if I received a fine for non payment.
there will always be errors in any system but only an idiot would pay a fine without proof if theyre sure they've done nothing wrong.
i just googled Dartford crossing for some images.assuming theyre the proper pics if anyone can pass through their unaware its a toll then they really shouldn't be driving!

Last edited by fuzzy; 13-05-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 13-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Steve Cooper
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a account set up because I use it a fair bit in the works/company van. I then got 3-4 fines come thru in one go, phoned them up and explained this isn't possible as I have a automatic top up on the account. Turns out when my bank card expired and I got a new one I didn't update the card details for payment to be taken. I ended up having nearly 40 unpaid crossings. I understand that it was my fault but what did annoy me was that they email me regularly but never once emailed to say they couldn't take payment.
Old 14-05-2016, 02:05 AM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

last I read they were making 1 million a week in fines. Not a bad shout eh?! I want my own bridge.....
Old 14-05-2016, 04:31 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-PD
Exactly what I did, got all the cars registered on the one account so whatever I'm driving it's covered.
Old 29-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Fast Guy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Question, I have an account set up, but went through out of hours last time. Do I need to make some sort of payment on line or does it automatically come out of my account?

Quick Reply: Dartford Crossing tolls and fines