General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

1 Car Only

Search this Thread

Old 19-04-2016, 11:03 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 1 Car Only

I currently own a sensibly modded focus RS mk1. I have recently sold my second car as I’ve decided to be a 1 car man. im getting some jobs done on it at the moment, new suspension, some new engine parts and sorting a few niggles that have been bugging me for last few years.

I cant get the thought of a newer car out of my head though, I was thinking about the new Focus RS but I don’t want to spend that much, I did toy with the idea of buying a new focus ST for £23k in 2013 but I changed direction and spent the money on the house. now the same car is £14k i've been thinking should I just chop in my RS and get one? I know the RS will appreciate, and will be faster and ‘cooler’ but i'm at the point now where I might just enjoy a lightly modded ST3 and I will get much more pleasure out of all the toys, nav, climate, Bluetooth, usb etc.
I drive to work (about 25 miles a day in busy traffic) and have commute previously in the focus, other than the mpg and the heavy clutch it’s a great everyday car. my daughter is now 4 so the ST would be more practical being a 5 door, and would be the more ‘sensible’ selection.
i've been looking at other cars like a v8 m3, or maybe a mk2 focus RS but the running costs and pitfalls worry me, I can afford to run them but the driving a v8 everyday means I’ll be in the petrol station more often than I would have liked.
I think I’d get close to 10k for the RS so would need a £4k ish investment for the ST. what are your thoughts?
Old 19-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Reading your pros and cons, I'd go for the ST
Old 19-04-2016, 11:17 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Thrush
Reading your pros and cons, I'd go for the ST
your probably right, im gonna drive the RS to work for a couple of months and if its not for me ill be trying to track down a nice ST. i love the orange but dont think the mrs will go for it, so either white or blue.
Old 19-04-2016, 11:46 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

If it's an every day car, I'd definitely be looking for something newer.

I'd also suggest taking a look at new ones. I was looking at the ST recently and managed to get them down from £28k to £24k with very little arguing on an ST-3. There are some great deals out there if you ask and that way you have warranty and zero hassle. The facelift ST also has a nicer interior in my view. Certainly worth considering.

I'd recommend driving one before you buy though. I test drove one and found it a bit flat. It's definitely not a slow car, but I think they've made the engine so smooth and lag-free that it does lack a bit of excitement.

Great car to live with. The likes of Bluetooth, DAB etc etc just make modern cars so easy.
Old 19-04-2016, 12:22 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by massivewangers
If it's an every day car, I'd definitely be looking for something newer.

I'd also suggest taking a look at new ones. I was looking at the ST recently and managed to get them down from £28k to £24k with very little arguing on an ST-3. There are some great deals out there if you ask and that way you have warranty and zero hassle. The facelift ST also has a nicer interior in my view. Certainly worth considering.

I'd recommend driving one before you buy though. I test drove one and found it a bit flat. It's definitely not a slow car, but I think they've made the engine so smooth and lag-free that it does lack a bit of excitement.

Great car to live with. The likes of Bluetooth, DAB etc etc just make modern cars so easy.
anything over £20k is a bit much for me, i like the idea that the ST is new enough to fell modenr but has already depreciated £10k or so in the first 2-3 years.

i have driven one and would agree it felt a little flat, i think it also had a revo stage 1 map (275) but was cerainy not as exciting as the RS, but it is a much more modern car, and i fell the RS although nice will just feel a bit too old and harsh to use everyday.

i would just keep the RS and get an ST but my previous experience of running 2 cars means that the RS just gets left in the garage 90% of the time.
Old 19-04-2016, 12:24 PM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

ST would win for me but maybe sit on the RS for another year in case of another spike in value if you can
Old 19-04-2016, 02:05 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by 1-PD
ST would win for me but maybe sit on the RS for another year in case of another spike in value if you can
my plan is to sit on it for 1 year, then when my fixed term mortgage is up see if theres enough budget for a 1 year old mk3 Focus RS

im just impatient

Trending Topics

Old 19-04-2016, 02:15 PM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by gingeRS
my plan is to sit on it for 1 year

im just impatient
great minds think alike then
Old 19-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

i bought a MK3 62 plate Focus ST estate last august, had 26k on the clock. was up for £14995 and i paid £14350.

great car, cant fault it. i have 2 kids aged 5 and 8 and its easy with them, also if i just fold the rear seats down without lifting the bench i can get my road bike in the back without taking the wheels off. that is the main reason i bought it lol
Old 20-04-2016, 10:21 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fudgey
i bought a MK3 62 plate Focus ST estate last august, had 26k on the clock. was up for £14995 and i paid £14350.

great car, cant fault it. i have 2 kids aged 5 and 8 and its easy with them, also if i just fold the rear seats down without lifting the bench i can get my road bike in the back without taking the wheels off. that is the main reason i bought it lol
they are very nice cars......just need to get myself used to the idea of selling the RS first, had her 8 years now.
Old 20-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Some people get attached to cars so dont. I would find it hard to sell my saff. Im lucky cause ive got a cheap ST17O as my round around.
Old 20-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Vacuman
PassionFord Regular

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Think you need to look at total cost of ownership per year; not just fuel but depreciation, insurance, road tax, servicing, tyres & brakes etc.

It seems that you are trying to make a decision with your head but your heart still has the loudest voice.