General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

CVH oil pressure light, engine tappy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 02:41 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVH oil pressure light, engine tappy?

Yesterday I picked myself up a nice B plate ford Orion GL with a 1.6 CVH. Drove it all the way home from coventry about 80 miles from where I live without fault however nearer to where I live, I took a roundabout a bit spiritedly and discovered it doesn't have a baffled sump....Oil pressure light flickered, so I turned it straight off, left it about 10 mins, started it up again, a bit tappy but then it soon quietened down again. So, carried on driving, then did about another 40 incident free miles. This morning however, I went shopping, car was fine but on the way home the oil pressure light flickered on and off and engine went all tappy again, each time I turned it off and let it cool, wasn't really that hot and turned the car off as soon as the light flickered on. Each time I started it back up, it ran quiet for a while but then started ticking again so knocked it off. Oil does look a bit black on the dispstick and the CVH is renowned for coking up isn't it? Oil level is fine however, what a I best doing? I'm going to give it a service tomorrow, what oil should I use, 10w40 good? The car is on 63k, is it possible oil pump has failed?
Old 06-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Loomer
Regular Contributor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyBoyden
Yesterday I picked myself up a nice B plate ford Orion GL with a 1.6 CVH. Drove it all the way home from coventry about 80 miles from where I live without fault however nearer to where I live, I took a roundabout a bit spiritedly and discovered it doesn't have a baffled sump....Oil pressure light flickered, so I turned it straight off, left it about 10 mins, started it up again, a bit tappy but then it soon quietened down again. So, carried on driving, then did about another 40 incident free miles. This morning however, I went shopping, car was fine but on the way home the oil pressure light flickered on and off and engine went all tappy again, each time I turned it off and let it cool, wasn't really that hot and turned the car off as soon as the light flickered on. Each time I started it back up, it ran quiet for a while but then started ticking again so knocked it off. Oil does look a bit black on the dispstick and the CVH is renowned for coking up isn't it? Oil level is fine however, what a I best doing? I'm going to give it a service tomorrow, what oil should I use, 10w40 good? The car is on 63k, is it possible oil pump has failed?
Measure the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and see what it is. Your guessing until you know what it is
Old 06-03-2016, 03:28 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Can you see any oil getting to the top of the engine if you take the oil cap off.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:49 PM
steppy
PassionFord Regular

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd be dropping the sump and checking the pickup pipe and sump for gunge
Old 06-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by steppy
I'd be dropping the sump and checking the pickup pipe and sump for gunge
Agreed. Mine did this once and it turned out to be a clogged pick up strainer.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:06 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 372 Likes on 347 Posts

It might have incorrect grade of oil.
Could be just a oil and filter change required.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:01 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers guys, there does seem to be oil round the lifters, but not an awful lot, the only comparison I really have is how my Zetec is and that's always got loads of oil round the cams etc a lot more than this seems to. I've just dropped the oil and it was black, put some new oil in but haven't changed the filter as I'll be doing a full service on it tomorrow when the bits arrive. Seems weird that it was fine yesterday with the 120 mile trip, but today it's making a right racket. Does the sump come off without taking exhaust off?
Old 07-03-2016, 04:54 PM
slider
Regular Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

it does but its a fight and itll drive you up the wall trying to get it back on without the sump gasket falling off