General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:10 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sadly, this is an act of god. Neighbours roof flew off his garage and damaged the bonnet of my Audi. It's not his fault, just like it's not your neighbours fault for leaving the bin in its normal collection position. Yes, he could have been extremely diligent and thought about the wind, but he didn't and you can't hold him to account.

It's annoying, but I would just put a s/h light on it and be done. Unless the car is less than a year old, a brand new one will look out of place as the age very quickly.

Rick
Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 561 Likes on 523 Posts

Going off topic a bit, I'm not racist at all and don't wanna come accross that way I was only fucking about, a garage I used to work at we had me and one other English mechanic, 2 polish mechanics and one German mechanic, we all got on like a house on fire, we used to all take the piss out of each other all the Time, they was always shouts of "don't mention the war" and such things, we all took it in good jest. The polish are bloody grafters though, we got a polish floating mechanic at our place who works round all our garages and he grafts like u wouldn't believe, he don't even stop for breaks just cracks on. His names something we can't pronounce so we call his pavlav as that's as close as we can get, he don't mind
Old 02-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by James @ M Developments.
That's how much the light costs, I don't want second hand shite on my car that was mint before his bin attacked it, why should I? That's just the light, what about the other damage? It's not my fault its costly to fix.

It wasn't glued and bodged up when I parked it last night, so why should I be prepared for it to end up that way now?

That's all you keep saying ,its not your fault . But its not his either . the weather is to blame .

Your headlight is not NEW /mint so why are you so against a decent 2nd hand one. it reads like your try trying to escalate it .

if you knocked on my door ranting you want £1000 id tell you to do one and sure most people would do the same.

Id hate my 4 year old to put a car park dent on your car !!!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:20 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

That isn't what I've said or asked from him, where does it say anywhere that I have? I haven't asked him for a penny.

I've told him what it's likely to cost to fix, I've told him the cost of a headlight, he hasn't even apologised. The only contact I've had from him was saying contact the council.
Hence the post " what would you do". I'm asking for advice, I don't see how I've escalated anything.

If his attitude is to ignore what's happened then that's up to him, but he can forget any help from me when he needs it, and I don't see how he could expect anything else, I expected him to understand and be a bit more helpfull

I'm sure most people can have a view on this, but I'm pretty sure if they had a 15k car that had just had a front end repaint to make it mint because of a few chips, to now be left with a scuffed bumper, wing that no longer fits nicely and a crook bonnet shut gap, along with a broken headlight, may be a bit pissed off?

If you like you could read the "it's not my fault" you have quoted in the context it's written and not miss the important part off the end. It's not my fault it's expensive to fix.
Which it isn't, I don't make Bmw prices, if the car had been a veyron I'm sure the light would be in excess of 5k a pop that wouldn't be my fault either

Last edited by James @ M Developments.; 02-04-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Fudgey
I can just imagine you gaffer-taped head to toe in plastic sheeting trying to entice your neighbours round for a coffee...
I'd just bash them over the head with an axe, much simpler!
Originally Posted by Nash
1 bag of post crete and 5ltrs of water poured into his bin, wont have to worry about it blowing over again.
is that with the guy in the bin? a pair of concrete boots for when he pushs the bin in the nearest canal??

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Like on snatch lol
I dont have access to a pig farm sadly.
Originally Posted by Oranoco
Anyone want to bum her for me as I'm not touching it
I suspect even kosman has standards......

Originally Posted by CrOwSoN15
Y'know that thread about not wanting to employ someone with past mental issues...
Old 02-04-2015, 11:07 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

As Rod says, just fix it and get over it.

By sounds of things your neighbour really doesnt care, if you do start a feud of sorts...who will have the most to lose if criminal damage starts ? By sounds of things you would have more to lose, and it could cost a lot more than a headlight.

Who will get seen as the criminal, which could get treated as a race/hate crime if you do launch some sort of revenge ?

If you say his Mrs is claiming lots of benefits, perhaps illegally...then report them for that. It may not put money in your pocket, but at least it may give them some grief.

Either way it isnt your fault, but it isnt his either. Sometimes shit happens.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

This may help.

Motorist Richard Bloore said a gust of wind caught the black bin leaving a six inch dent in the side of his Nissan Micra parked on the street outside his home.
Mr Bloore, of The Crescent, Stapleford, said he was surprised Broxtowe Borough Council were not insured for the damage as he had experienced similar incidents while working at a neighbouring council.
Mr Bloore, who works in the refuse department at Derby City Council, said his employer had dealt with such claims in the past.

"I find it staggering that the council don't have insurance for this and won't pay up," he said.
"I just assumed they would have the cover for it.
"I rang the council up to chase it up and they told me they weren't liable.
"I've now got a dent in my car and I've got to pay around £200 to get it fixed."
A spokesman said the council had the suitable level of insurance for refuse collection as required by law.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:52 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

If the bin had last been handled by the council, you could maybe try and pursue that line...but even that would be clutching at straws unless they left it somewhere really stupid
Old 03-04-2015, 09:08 AM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default damage

what this does show is the escalating cost of the overcomplicated lights etc on a modern car-gee whiz.!
but as said by the more mature members on here-i would move on,repair the light bracket,get the smart bodywork repairs done-not really anybody at fault tbh...
Old 03-04-2015, 09:26 AM
steanlol
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an incident whereas I damaged my neighbours car when I was reversing the trailer onto the drive
I caught the bumper and put a very minor scratch in it
Me being me went round and told them and offered to pay for it , asked them to get me a couple of quotes
Eventually they came back with a quote for £653 from the dealer for a new bumper , just didn't have the money as it was xmas time , eventually I said I would sort it myself and went a bought a genuine bumper from Toyota and was going to get it sprayed when they went all funny on me and said they didn't want me to do that , in the end we don't talk any more and with negotiations with one of their dads I gave them the bumper and £350 but I will never speak to them again .

Its a shame that they haven't offered at least a small contribution to the cost of the repairs but I would still maybe pop round and ask if he would be willing to contribute something and if he refused then I would have nothing more to do with them and ignore them and carry on with your life .
Old 03-04-2015, 10:25 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by steanlol
I had an incident whereas I damaged my neighbours car when I was reversing the trailer onto the drive
I caught the bumper and put a very minor scratch in it
Me being me went round and told them and offered to pay for it , asked them to get me a couple of quotes
Eventually they came back with a quote for £653 from the dealer for a new bumper , just didn't have the money as it was xmas time , eventually I said I would sort it myself and went a bought a genuine bumper from Toyota and was going to get it sprayed when they went all funny on me and said they didn't want me to do that , in the end we don't talk any more and with negotiations with one of their dads I gave them the bumper and £350 but I will never speak to them again .

Its a shame that they haven't offered at least a small contribution to the cost of the repairs but I would still maybe pop round and ask if he would be willing to contribute something and if he refused then I would have nothing more to do with them and ignore them and carry on with your life .
In a case like that where it was 100% your fault, why would they contribute to the repairs ?

And like it or loathe it, depending on age/quality etc of the vehicle, they wold be within their rights to go to a dealer....of course whether or not the dealer actually does a quality repair could also be questioned.
But as with insurance, even small damage and they will replace with new rather than repair which in many cases is stupid.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:55 AM
steanlol
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep it was my fault and i never said they should contribute , guess you never read it properly .

I said its a shame if the op's neighbours don't contribute .
Old 03-04-2015, 11:00 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

If it was me I'd claim off my insurance and just treat the neighbour accordingly, ie polite but not friends any more

Not much else you can do, just unfortunate for you
Old 04-04-2015, 09:28 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Harris.
That's all you keep saying ,its not your fault . But its not his either . the weather is to blame .

Your headlight is not NEW /mint so why are you so against a decent 2nd hand one. it reads like your try trying to escalate it .

if you knocked on my door ranting you want £1000 id tell you to do one and sure most people would do the same.

Id hate my 4 year old to put a car park dent on your car !!!
Indeed!

This was my point too, you say you want a new headlight but as a lot of us have pointed out your car is not new! Nobody is suggesting buying a scuffed up old shitter from a breaker, but there's no reason why you couldn't buy one of the same age and condition as your one from a decent dismantler.

Imagine it the other way round. You'd be on here ranting that your neighbour is "Taking the piss wanting to buy a brand new, £1k headlight for his 4 year old car".

If your mate came round and clipped your headlight with his car, would you ask him for £1000? Bet you wouldn't, I'd say it's more of an example of how you feel about your neighbour to be honest.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:09 AM
bigdel
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Try this. It used to be known as the 'Small Claims Court' - https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Any findings are legally binding and enforceable by debt recovery agancies. It'll cost you a few quid to start up but you can build all those costs into the claim itself, so in theory, you should never be out of pocket.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:15 AM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Indeed!

This was my point too, you say you want a new headlight but as a lot of us have pointed out your car is not new! Nobody is suggesting buying a scuffed up old shitter from a breaker, but there's no reason why you couldn't buy one of the same age and condition as your one from a decent dismantler.

Imagine it the other way round. You'd be on here ranting that your neighbour is "Taking the piss wanting to buy a brand new, £1k headlight for his 4 year old car".

If your mate came round and clipped your headlight with his car, would you ask him for £1000? Bet you wouldn't, I'd say it's more of an example of how you feel about your neighbour to be honest.

Like I said already. I've not asked him for a penny.
In situations like this I expect the other party to do the right thing, I'm not pleading to him to help me, to him the right thing to do is ignore it ever happened.
If he offered to go halfs on a used light I could always pay the rest for a new one myself couldn't I? But even if the repair cost £20 it would still be me footing the £20 not him even paying £1of it because he isn't interested in helping, to me the cost is iirelivant
It's the point he wants nothing to do with it that I think is wrong, and if a mate did it, I would expect them to do the right thing too!

Last edited by James @ M Developments.; 05-04-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:22 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Is his missus fit? I'd convince her that she needs to sort payment by some other means, film it and then post a nice dvd to them to watch of u balls and all into his benefit scamming bird
Old 05-04-2015, 09:35 AM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Na she's not my type, lol.

Had a chat yesterday with another neighbour across the street I'm freindly with who's well into his cars and he is shocked how he's reacted to it. And agrees he should help towards the repair.
He's noticed he is hiding from us, won't go out if we are outside and only comes out when we have gone out.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:40 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Na she's not my type, lol. Had a chat yesterday with another neighbour across the street I'm freindly with who's well into his cars and he is shocked how he's reacted to it. And agrees he should help towards the repair. He's noticed he is hiding from us, won't go out if we are outside and only comes out when we have gone out.
Ah it's a bloody shame neighbours are like that mate. We live in a block of 18 flats and the sooner we get a house the better. Soon as everyone noticed I was a mechanic I've almost become there personal bloody car fixer, whenever I see there car having troubles now the lights go out and don't answer the door lol :-( if I go out in the car park for a cigarette anyone who has a car who walks past says ooh I've been meaning to ask u this, or the old favourite "can u just"
Old 05-04-2015, 05:00 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

read this from start to finish and here's my take on things:

i had issues with my neighbours being total and utter cunts, cement dust all over my freshly painted car, as in it was 2 day old paint, they chipped trees all over it through the machine and covered it in sap and all sorts of shit from even 20 years ago with posts in the ground into the shared drive to stop me getting into my own garage

the bottom line is that now you know he's a cunt, take all preventative measures against any potential damage he could cause and swallow the cost, don't move because it could be my situation where BOTH sides turn out to be cunts

my last neighbour even got solicitors involved as he said that i was going into his air space by an inch so it can get very petty and if you have to start going to court it can also be very costly

so, having been there, done that, that's my view on things

of course you could tell me to fuck off and carry on being pissed off, but i guarantee you that as soon as his motor gets damaged you'll be prime suspect and if the feds want to make you the aggressor they will easily do so regardless of what your new best mate across the road says to the contrary, again, been there, done that, cctv was needed to prove i wasn't the one who'd damaged the car in question
Old 05-04-2015, 05:16 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

I'm not going to damage his things, I'm not that type. But I'm certainly never going to go out out way or help him again that's for sure
Old 05-04-2015, 05:20 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Is it just me, or are some of the tags at the bottom of the screen quite amusing ? lol

Where do they generate from ?

Old 05-04-2015, 05:45 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

I'm not going to damage his things, I'm not that type. But I'm certainly never going to go out out way or help him again that's for sure
things will never be the same again, he will always think you are the git who wanted money out of him, you will always thing he's a plonker for leaving his bins outside and then not paying for the damage on your car

ignoring each other is probably the best way to do things, going out of your way to avoid each other won't last but seeing as he's the one doing the avoiding, at least you can take a small victory in knowing that he's avoiding you

best of luck repairing your motor without blowing the budget
Old 07-04-2015, 09:44 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe Judge Rinder could sort it for you?