General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

First bike track day - Brands hatch 20th April

Search this Thread

Old 16-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Default First bike track day - Brands hatch 20th April

I'm off to Bands hatch on the 20th April for my first bike track day and wondered if there were any words of wisdom?

And also if any one from here would be going?

Rob,
Old 16-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Just remember its not a race. Its about learning the vehicle and the track.
Old 16-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A few people have said that and I totally agree, I know quite a few people going so I'm sure there will be some light hearted competition... As long as no one shoots up my inside mid corner they can do what they want.
Old 16-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I thought PF used to have a load of bikers Maybe its been a bit too cold recently
Old 16-03-2015, 09:14 PM
lacey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

It's great fun
You will love it
If your tyres are old then go steady
Move your body because if you stay sat in the middle and up right
Then you prob won't make the corner at some point
Lol and you won't get your knee down

And remember if you go home in one piece then it's a good day

Have fun mate
Old 16-03-2015, 10:54 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

lol, thanks mate.

Have you ever had any trouble with people on track?

Rob,
Old 17-03-2015, 01:29 PM
madsi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

main thing is feel your way into it at your own pace mate and enjoy itmy bikes not far from being finished at long last,so i'm looking forward to being back on track,as it been a while since i raced motorbikes.take energy drinks and stuff like that as well,if theres do and donts they will tell you in the morning briefing
Old 17-03-2015, 03:43 PM
lacey

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Lol

Yes only at Cadwell
Once you know what your doing just go faster than them then there will be no problems lol
Old 18-03-2015, 07:41 AM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Take some spares!

Nuts and washers, cable ties, a spare set of levers and foot pegs. And tools! If you come off try and fix the bike so it's road worthy again and make sure you go back out. Don't dwell on it, it happens!

Have fun, relax, take it easy for the first 5 laps, warm up your tyres and then get yer knee down. ��
Old 18-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers for the replies, I've just bought a set of Chinese fairings that I'm going to fit before the day. Good call on a spare set of levers!

I've got a few mates going who have gone all out with tyre warmers etc but I just can't see the point for my first time out? Or would I be better off hiring some? I'm only on Michelin Road 4's which warm up really quickly anyway although I'm sure they won't be as sticky when hot...

Rob,
Old 18-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by lacey
Lol

Yes only at Cadwell
Once you know what your doing just go faster than them then there will be no problems lol
Lol, yes I suppose thats a good solution.
Old 18-03-2015, 11:10 AM
wayne thomas
Regular Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob_DOHC
I've got a few mates going who have gone all out with tyre warmers etc but I just can't see the point for my first time out? Or would I be better off hiring some? I'm only on Michelin Road 4's which warm up really quickly anyway although I'm sure they won't be as sticky when hot...

Rob,

Don't try to stay with them on the 1st couple of laps, if they're using warmers they'll have mountains more grip than you.
Old 18-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Farmer Giles

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just take your time and go at you pace..

Good call on the spares, little stuff like levers, clip ons, foot peg hangers, brake and gear levers break easily and can end your day for the sake of a few quid. Gaffer tap is your friend.. LOL..

Make sure the bike is in good order, brakes, chain lub and adjustment, sprockets, topped up with oil and water etc as you will be riding it much harder for much longer on track than you would on the road.

When it comes to tyre pressures I'd suggest you lower them abit over standard.. I was always told to aim for 35 front and rear when hot and for my riding and my bike that equated to about 31 front and 30 rear when cold but you'll have to have a play and see where you end up. DO NOT DO THAT if it's wet as the tread pattern will close up and you lose the ability to clear the water..

You current tyres will be fine with no warmers and it doesn't hurt to do a couple of easy laps at the start of each session to warm up tyres, engine, brakes and yourself..

Take both parts of you're licence and if you have a 2 piece suit it must zip together all the way round and your lid should have the ACU gold sticker still on it. If your bike has an aftermarket end can take an exhaust bung just in case it fails the noise test.

Take your wing mirrors off and put tape over you're speedo it doesn't matter how fast you are on track and mirrors are distracting when you're approaching a corner at 100+ mph.

Don't have pie and chips for lunch, eat pasta and keep well hydrated through the day specially if it's sunny and if you feel tired (which you probably will) don't do the last session as there will be other people in exactly the same state.

Make sure you can get fuel on site or take it with you as you'll probably do the best part of two tanks in a day in my experience.

If you have not got a garage reserved take a gazebo and some sand bags to hold it down.

One word on the chinese fairings.. I'll be very surprised if they go on easily. The fixings and locating clips will all need to be adjusted so don't expect it to be an easy job.

It's good that you're going with some experienced guys as they will help you through the day if not on the track.. If you can arrange some instruction on track then get some..

just go there and enjoy it, soak it all in, have fun and come back in one piece. Afterwards you'll probably do loads of thing different next time but it is such a great day..

HTH..

Last edited by Farmer Giles; 18-03-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 19-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats an awesome reply, thanks very much for the advice!

We have reserved a garage. I was pondering over getting some instruction booked for at least one session, how does it normally work? Do they follow you round and then discuss problems after the session?

Good call on taking decent food too.

I am a little nervous about taking mirrors off, are people really considerate enough not to steal your line going into a corner? Enough that I wouldn't need the mirrors at least?

Ill be trial fitting the fairings this weekend so I'll take some snaps and let you know how they go on.

Rob,
Old 21-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Farmer Giles

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob_DOHC
Thats an awesome reply, thanks very much for the advice!

We have reserved a garage. I was pondering over getting some instruction booked for at least one session, how does it normally work? Do they follow you round and then discuss problems after the session?

Good call on taking decent food too.

I am a little nervous about taking mirrors off, are people really considerate enough not to steal your line going into a corner? Enough that I wouldn't need the mirrors at least?

Ill be trial fitting the fairings this weekend so I'll take some snaps and let you know how they go on.

Rob,
no problem at all..

Normally all the staff and instrucators will be located in the same garage so just have a wonder down and ask if they can do a session with you.
They will probably follow you for a few laps, then they will go infront for a few laps and show you better lines then they will have a chat with you afterwards. They are normally pretty relaxed but might be worth doing a couple of seesions first to get your eye in and get over the initial nerves of riding on track..
Maybe arrange for the instructor for the last session before lunch then you can have a ponder on what they've said and shown you.

If you dont want to take the mirrors off then ride with them for the first few sessions then just fold them back and see how you get on.
It's everyone's responsability to overtake safely and in the briefing that will be stated, no overtaking on corner entry an the like.
The hardest thing about overtaking can be that inexperienced riders can be inconsistant on line and speed so to make it easier for people to get round you try and ride consistantly and once someone who's overtaking can see that then they will usually make a safe pass. Using the instructors and observing the quicker guys will help you massively learning the right lines.

For me mirrors and speedo are just a distraction and at the higher speeds it only takes a small distraction and you've missed a braking point and you're in trouble..

Everyone is there to have a good time and enjoy it. You'll always get the occasional dick head but that's true with cars too.

Just take your time and do what works for you, no one is gonna take the piss cause you're slow and didn't get your knee down or whatever and there will always be someone there who's worse than you, trust me.

I Will be interested to here how you get on.. My first day was at Oulton Park and it was freezing cold but I had an awsome day.

Last edited by Farmer Giles; 21-03-2015 at 11:52 AM.