General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

A business idea, what do you reckon?????

Search this Thread

Old 29-03-2005 | 09:53 AM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default A business idea, what do you reckon?????

Alot of my mates are getting married at the mo and it struck me that they all want to get married in a certain church, nothing to do with religion but because it is a great looking traditional church in a nice area and in nice grounds, picturess type thing.

BUT, as none live near it they can't hold the do there, so instead have opted for either hotel functions or other churches that are not so nice.

My idea

Build a replica of an old fashioned church, in a nice area, use modern builing materials for the building but then a sandstone outer layer to give it an old look (more to it than that but that's the general idea), landscape the grounds with paths, trees, gardens, stream and bridge etc to create areas for photography.

Then hire it out like you would a function room, steer clear of adding crosses or statues etc

Could even build a full function room on site and supply the whole lot from invites to honeymoon.

I reckon there is a market for this as many people nowerdays are not into religion and just want a venue that looks the part!

What do you reckon??
Old 29-03-2005 | 10:06 AM
rich2302
Part of the Furniture

I think this is a good idea, the only limit is that people will only tavel so far to use it, you would almost need one in every county

Good luck

Cheers

Rich
Old 29-03-2005 | 10:24 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

sounds good for those sad bastards that want a 'church' wedding but aren't religious. if you aren't religious, what is marriage anyway? it's a commitment and a legal contract, that's all. and that can be done anytime, anywhere.

there may be planning rules to prevent such buildings though, can't imagine the followers of the various religions being happy about a fake church.

i know that several churches and chapels have been sold off and converted to pubs, lap dancing clubs etc, so you may alright, but they tend to be in inner cities. there are plenty in the country that have been converted to houses though, and plenty that are in desperate need of restoration that you may be able to use rather than starting from scratch.
Old 29-03-2005 | 10:30 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

dont think you would ever get planning for a building like that mate
Old 29-03-2005 | 12:56 PM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

sounds like a good idea but you would need to do alot of research into it, not only into the building and planning permission side of things but also whether theres enough demand for that kind of venue to a)cover ur set up costs b) make enuff profit to live on.

but i'm sure if adapt ur plan so that you cover all the angles u could be onto a winner
Old 29-03-2005 | 01:27 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sounds to me like you have almost exactly described the place a mate of mine got married at last year...

The setting was amazing, the strangest thing is its like a Tardis, I drive past this place almost every week and have done for years, all you can see is a building and a driveway, but once you get past the gates

http://www.findaweddingvenue.co.uk/m...875404e3a2a31f
Old 29-03-2005 | 03:51 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

wouldnt it just be cheaper to bribe the vicar to let you use it...... money to church funds and his pocket etc etc....??

or they mega tetchy about that?

maybe you could ask the pope.... erm i'll stop there I think
Old 31-03-2005 | 11:29 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

There used to be a place called Simpsons in Aberdeen that was like you describe - an old gothic building that was turned into a bar/club/wedding venue.

Don't know if it is still there - we've been away from Aberdeen for 13 years, but maybe somebody up there knows more.

It was opposite Union terrace and near to Robert Gordons.
Old 31-03-2005 | 11:34 AM
Mike C
The Special One

worth a shot, he who dares, wins

Being your own boss is best, but it's hard work if u want it to be a success