General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cosworth boa hot starting prob

Search this Thread

Old 25-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Sapphcosv6
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cosworth boa hot starting prob

Hi all, ive been building a sapphire cosworth with a v6 boa for a few months now, got car moted ok but got hot starting problems now, its had a new fuel pump and filter, new fuel rail pressure regulator, all new temp senders but still no luck, car starts fine from cold and will run all day, bit as soon as you switch off and try to start it cranks but doesnt fire up until you leave it for a few hours then it starts but sounds like its misfiring for a minute or two, ive changed ecu and coil pack as well, and cap is off fuel tank so no vac probs... Help me pls im close to pitting it on the bay!!!!
Old 25-06-2014, 07:49 PM
mk2grp1
going sideways in a fwd

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

sounds like it could be running rich,,
Co2 sensor ?? starting ok on cold is when more fuel is required, plugs may look sooty,
are they gapped correctly , correct plugs for engine, ect , air leak,
throwing some possibles at ya, don`t give up
Old 25-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Sapphcosv6
Virgin

Was advised these can be run without lambdas !! Do you think this is the prob?
Old 25-06-2014, 08:31 PM
mk2grp1
going sideways in a fwd

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I can`t say, just like that ,
I know your capable of examining spark plugs,, black soot = rich
checking grade of plugs change if old or if incorrect, set to correct gap
may be worth getting a co% test, obviously keep the car running or you`ll be there for a long time
Old 25-06-2014, 09:02 PM
scoobypete
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually having the same problem. I have just got mine on the road Monday and is doing exactly the same. I'm waiting on a new water temp sensor to see if that helps. If not I've no idear and I'm lost lol
Old 25-06-2014, 09:04 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

lambda's might be the issue but it's more common for the cps to have an issue or the wiring to it or the bracket that holds it in place

you have wired the thing up properly right? lots of bodged wiring soon makes itself known
Old 25-06-2014, 09:27 PM
scoobypete

Originally Posted by dojj
lambda's might be the issue but it's more common for the cps to have an issue or the wiring to it or the bracket that holds it in place

you have wired the thing up properly right? lots of bodged wiring soon makes itself known
Cps? In theory mine should be fine. Was the " youths" old engine and he had no problem and nether did I until last wens. I doubt it's any of my wiring after all this time.
Old 26-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Sapphcosv6
Virgin

New temp sender did nothing, the ecu /edis 6needs a cps signal or it will cut out so must be ok as it will run all day until you switch off , plugs are sooty obviously running rich with no lambdas, i was going to try a new set of plugs today as the ones i have in are cheap denso ones, i have had plugs before breaking down with heat on other vehicles!! So if there is 2 or more faulty this maybe the problem!!Im running out of ideas tho!! Anyone know the correct gap?
Engine runs perfect with plenty of power and starts from cold on the nail no smoke or rattles or anything, im running put of ideas!!
Old 27-06-2014, 08:11 PM
scoobypete

I've found something that works mate. Try it. As you tern ignition on let pump prime, remove power to the pump crank and once it starts reconnect. Worked perfect for mine today 👍
Old 28-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Sapphcosv6
Virgin

Originally Posted by scoobypete
I've found something that works mate. Try it. As you tern ignition on let pump prime, remove power to the pump crank and once it starts reconnect. Worked perfect for mine today 👍
Wonder why that works? ., maybe it stops it from overfuelling/ flooding i will try on mine today, i know on the 2.8 capris they had an injector used for cold starts and when these went faulty (passed fuel on standby)they caused hot start probs, this is why im thinking duff injectors!
Old 28-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Sapphcosv6
Virgin

Yep mine does the same just ran it to warm temp , switched off , pulled pump fuse , started straight away, but didnt get fuse back im quick enough so stopped, but it started back up straight away,so must be getting too much fuel, will deffo check injectors now
Old 28-06-2014, 06:49 PM
scoobypete

Let me know what you find. I was told maybe fpr so have a spare to try
Old 19-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Sapphcosv6
Virgin

Let me know what you find. I was told maybe fpr so have a spare to try
Finally sorted problem!!! It was a melted injector loom!! Have replaced and it starts fine now!! Basically the engine will fire and run on left hand bank of injectors but will be hard to rev, but engine will not start on right hand injectors at all, so when it heated up it was losing power to left hand bank!!! Thanks for all your suggestions