General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

audio types, pulling cables through bulkheads

Search this Thread

Old 29-04-2014, 09:04 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default audio types, pulling cables through bulkheads

i've looked and asked and looked and asked and am now contemplating taking the dash out to see if there is anywhere i can pull 2 cables through the bulkhead

they are the size of a sharpie marker pen so not thin, and therefore not able to fit through the main bulkhead grommet behind the glovebox and behind the cruise control module in the engine bay simply because of their size

short of drilling 2 holes (which i may yet still contemplate) is there anywhere else where i can push them through on the mondeo?

on the sierra there were plenty of odd holes to use and it was fairly easy to find them, but the mondeo is just too cramped and compacted in this area

so help please
Old 29-04-2014, 11:23 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Source hole, force a bit of stiff wire, coat hanger, brake pipe etc through the hole and tape the new wires to this to make it easier to get them through and find them on the other side.

Same applies to using any existing grommets. You can usually squeeze a fair bit through, bit of lubricant can help if it's really tight.
Old 29-04-2014, 11:40 AM
dojj

tried that, pulled the whole grommet out because there's only a few mm either side before it's metal, and i pulled it up against the metal and there was nowhere for it to go but pull the whole grommet out

meaning i spent the next hour putting the thing back in again
Old 29-04-2014, 11:46 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

There are NO suitable holes in the Mondeo bulkhead other than the main loom grommet. I spent an age looking when trying to run a hose for a boost gauge. You'll have to drill new one/s!
Old 29-04-2014, 11:49 AM
dojj

cheers for that dan, at least i now know what i have to do..............

anywhere that is "better" than another place?
Old 29-04-2014, 12:37 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Passenger side footwell is the best place to drill, high up, drill hole, clean it up, protect it, grommit in, cable through, tidy up

Just make sure there are no cables running anywhere on the opposite side of you drilling lol
Old 29-04-2014, 12:54 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

What I've done is made a hole with a pen knife in the outer bit of the main loom grommet, pushed the wire through there then a bit of sealant around it to make sure it seals well.

Trending Topics

Old 29-04-2014, 02:41 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by bassboy
Passenger side footwell is the best place to drill, high up, drill hole, clean it up, protect it, grommit in, cable through, tidy up

Just make sure there are no cables running anywhere on the opposite side of you drilling lol
i've got to swap the entire dash over at some point so i'll probably do it when i strip the whole thing out for the facelift version

Originally Posted by RichieST
What I've done is made a hole with a pen knife in the outer bit of the main loom grommet, pushed the wire through there then a bit of sealant around it to make sure it seals well.
did that when i ran the amp power cable and, to be honest, there's not THAT much space left afterwards, and theres not that much space left to begin with so even though i knew what i had to do, actually doing that same thing was impossible due to the lack of space

on the hunt for actual grommets now that aren't just your normal grommet, but have that extra bit to cover some of the cable as well to make it properly water and engine smog tight
Old 29-04-2014, 02:44 PM
dojj

i can find this one picture but i can't find an actual site that sells them

Old 30-04-2014, 09:06 PM
dojj

eventually i've found something to suit, waterproof and non slip too, it's a gland grommet apparently so it's fixed to the bulkhead and where ever i put the wire it won't pull in or out when i tighten it up

plus it's waterproof x2, both on the outer bit where the wire goes through and the bit where it joins onto the bulkhead, water won't get there unless i run a hose in the engine bay but better to be safe than sorry
Old 01-05-2014, 07:13 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Is this for a killswitch? Surely it's a bad idea for when not using the car for long periods of time, as you will eventually get pissed off with locking all the doors by hand, the alarm won't be active, resetting the clock / radio every time you drive it. Just stick a solar charger on the dash!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 PM
dojj

do it all the time mate, bell the car, everything works as it should, open the bonnet, kill the battery, close the bonnet

the mrs is getting pissed off about opening the bonnet all the time so i'm moving it indoors, open the car, switch the kill, alarm off, off i go

both the ford alarm and the cat one are armed as soon as the battery gets reconnected so it's all safe on that side of things and the only issue is with the radio, but i don't really listen to it as it's all tv stuff and dvd,s and cd,s and usb and ipod and stuff

might not need to know as i might be using the car more often
Old 01-05-2014, 08:30 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Dojj, you could use a 100amp relay under bonnet with a trigger switch in the glove box. this would save battery cables routed into the car

Regards

Paul

Last edited by costina; 07-05-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
eventually i've found something to suit, waterproof and non slip too, it's a gland grommet apparently so it's fixed to the bulkhead and where ever i put the wire it won't pull in or out when i tighten it up

plus it's waterproof x2, both on the outer bit where the wire goes through and the bit where it joins onto the bulkhead, water won't get there unless i run a hose in the engine bay but better to be safe than sorry
It's called a stuffing gland!