General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

running a pure race/track car with no ARB's

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Gatecrasher
Not welcome...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running a pure race/track car with no ARB's

I want to remove the anti roll bars from my car to save weight and compensate with high spring rates

the car is never used on the road so ride quality isn't an issue

I have done lots of reading on other forums and articles ect some swear by not running any and others wouldn't run without them

opinions?

Cheers
Old 03-12-2013, 01:13 PM
smudger068
Regular Contributor

You can run without them
And yes you can compensate with correct spring rates
If you know what spring rates to run?
What car is this on?
What spring rates are you using?
Also ask the background of were your information has come from, simply because feedback is normally given by someone who cant drive for a start let alone if there car is square or if they can actually set a car up
Old 03-12-2013, 01:33 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i run no arb on the rear of my fiesta. there is arguments for and against and the only way to see if it suits YOU is to test it back to back on the track
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As smudger said, it's the spring rates which will be the biggest factor. Depending on what rates you have now you could take some tools with you to your next track day and simply remove the link rods on both front and rear to see how the car behaves. Where do the link rods attach to on the front, the strut (assuming MacP) or the lower arm?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Touring Car Spares
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Vital ! Replace with Front mounted version , the weigh fk all and vastly improve these cars .
Higher spring rates prevent your dampers from working correctly ,why would you want that unless theyre not very good in the 1st place .
Old 03-12-2013, 04:38 PM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

isnt it all a compramise, change one thing effects something else
Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The biggest problem with going to purely spring rates for roll resistance IME with no ARB, is that it means that straightline braking grip is effected as the car can no longer dive.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

iv been doing loads of research into this also after it was reccommended to me by nevsrevs on here. i plan on my next track day to experiment with disconnecting my front arb. lots of people do it it just comes down to prefernce of car behavior i think
Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I find this all rather odd as I'm currently looking at fitting a more hefty rear ARB on my A4 rather than skip them off. Admittidly it is a compromise being used as a daily driver with some track work thrown in as and when time allows.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Someone once said that arbs are just there to cover up poor suspension design but why would car manufacturers add them when they just cost more and add weight? Ride comfort only? If so then no race cars would run them? Only interested, not saying!

I would love to remove off my pug Cossie as it is the first thing to hit any speed bumps
Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
Someone once said that arbs are just there to cover up poor suspension design but why would car manufacturers add them when they just cost more and add weight? Ride comfort only? If so then no race cars would run them? Only interested, not saying!

I would love to remove off my pug Cossie as it is the first thing to hit any speed bumps
this is what ive recently learnt. arb acts as a secondry spring to the suspension by tying the 2 sides together.as you roll it resists the force as im sure you know so with the arb resisting roll manufacurers run a softer spring. the downside is the firmer the arb then slowly independant suspension becomes void has your linking both sides of the car. result is lifting a rear wheel and spinning the inside front wheel on fwd.

by removing arb and controlling roll with stiffer springs you can acheive a similar or better roll resistance but get full independant suspension. front inner wheel gets pushed to floor on cornering giving more grip and both rear wheel stay on the floor giving more grip.

not very good explaining but hope this helps
Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Underdog ST170
this is what ive recently learnt. arb acts as a secondry spring to the suspension by tying the 2 sides together.as you roll it resists the force as im sure you know so with the arb resisting roll manufacurers run a softer spring. the downside is the firmer the arb then slowly independant suspension becomes void has your linking both sides of the car. result is lifting a rear wheel and spinning the inside front wheel on fwd.

by removing arb and controlling roll with stiffer springs you can acheive a similar or better roll resistance but get full independant suspension. front inner wheel gets pushed to floor on cornering giving more grip and both rear wheel stay on the floor giving more grip.

not very good explaining but hope this helps
im looking forward to see how you get on with removing front, as our car felt so much nicer when we removed the rear, will try it without front next.
p.s. you hit the nail on the head imo.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by nevsrevs
im looking forward to see how you get on with removing front, as our car felt so much nicer when we removed the rear, will try it without front next.
p.s. you hit the nail on the head imo.

since you told me about this rog iv read everything i can find on the net on the subject.been researching it for months lol.

With my car at the moment i feel iv got too much grip on the rear. i can only get lift off on cold tires. when rears warm its planted.iv tried every shock setting combo i can and played with ride height. so rather than lose grip on the rear to help turns i though id try removing front instead to hopefully improve front grip and supple the front up. will it work i dunno. i wont find out until april though
Old 04-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Touring Car Spares
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

You are on the right rack with improving front grip ,the idea is to upset the balance of the rear without compromising the front ,remember on a FWD car everything you need to be concerned about happens up front .
This is why you see some amusing Rear wheel angles on FWD Touring Cars .