General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Octavia vrs

Search this Thread

Old 30-10-2013, 11:37 PM
turbochild
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Octavia vrs

I bought an octavia vrs last week it had full service history last service last month all done at the main dealers receipts to prove new tyres all round suspension all done in August no rust anywhere proper clean it is. The engine light was on and the oil light the oil light is a sensor and the part wasn't in stock I got told the engine light was on due to it been mapped? I wasn't sure and haggled £350 off the asking price so was happy enough and done a deal the car was boosting well etc and I am waiting to get it checked. I went to buy the car myself after work and ended up leaving my van on a near by street from where I bought the car later on I picked up a mate and went to get the van.

He wasn't insured to drive a van on his policy but could drive the car I know for a fact he never ragged it as he stayed behind me the whole way back when we got back he said he had stalled the car but he liked it everything felt good to him etc and he may consider looking for a clean one etc when I got back into the car the next day I noticed it had lost power it still boosts but not even half as much as it had previously as said I don't blame my mate as I know it was driven with care. I went to msd today but there well busy and can't look at it until end of November so was wondering if anyone had any idea what it could be?

If there is anyone in blackpool area that could look at it or let me know where I could take it that would be a bonus.

I have found no receipts for a re map how would I tell if it's had one possible explanation I was offered by msd for the light was the receptionist said having been recently serviced they could of updated the ecu which would wipe the map and could cause the light to come on! Makes sence to me so whilst I want to book it into msd I would like the issues I have sorted in the mean time any advice would be much appreciated
Old 30-10-2013, 11:55 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 117 Likes on 110 Posts

If the light is on you need to get the codes read and go from there.

Get yourself VCDS it's well worth getting, even the free version so you can check stuff yourself.

MAF sensors, coil packs, air leaks from PCV system are all common faults on them.

http://www.ross-tech.com/

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.html - free download, for cheap cables (eBay) can do basic code reads and live data.

(limited measuring blocks)

Cable - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAG-GROUP-...item3f1b0d351a

If you have the free version and it works on your car you can pay a $99 dollar license fee to unlock more features etc.

If the oil light is because of the level sensor, check the fuses, these can sometimes blow causing the fault.

Last edited by GVK.; 31-10-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 31-10-2013, 12:11 AM
turbochild

Originally Posted by GVK.
If the light is on you need to get the codes read and go from there.

Get yourself VCDS it's well worth getting, even the free version so you can check stuff yourself.

MAF sensors, coil packs, air leaks from PCV system are all common faults on them.

http://www.ross-tech.com/

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.html - free download, for cheap cables (eBay) can do basic code reads and live data.

(limited measuring blocks)

Cable - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAG-GROUP-...item3f1b0d351a

If you have the free version and it works on your car you can pay a $99 dollar license fee to unlock more features etc.

If the oil light is because of the level sensor, check the fuses, these can sometimes blow causing the fault.
Cheers for the heads up I know the coil packs where done last month as there is a receipt for them too they where done last month
Old 31-10-2013, 12:14 AM
turbochild

I've also ordered uprated boost pipes as the standard ones are restrictive apparently and prone to failing
Old 31-10-2013, 12:38 AM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Had similar problem on my Focus RS a couple of months ago, a mate put his diagnostics kit on it and the error code led us to 2 main possibilities, pre-cat lambda sensor or split hose. Because it was still driving fine we first changed the sensor but within a few miles the engine light came on again and the driving became more erratic with the idle becoming more and more lumpy, then i could hear a hissing noise when it was ticking over on my drive and i managed to trace the hose that had a large split in it causing the hose to collapse on itself. We changed the hose and it's been fine since so i would check your hoses to see if any have split.
TBH i know bugger all about Octavia VRS engines but i presume the basics are the same so you never know, it could be a similar problem as i had.
Old 31-10-2013, 01:02 AM
turbochild

Originally Posted by STAFFY OWNER
Had similar problem on my Focus RS a couple of months ago, a mate put his diagnostics kit on it and the error code led us to 2 main possibilities, pre-cat lambda sensor or split hose. Because it was still driving fine we first changed the sensor but within a few miles the engine light came on again and the driving became more erratic with the idle becoming more and more lumpy, then i could hear a hissing noise when it was ticking over on my drive and i managed to trace the hose that had a large split in it causing the hose to collapse on itself. We changed the hose and it's been fine since so i would check your hoses to see if any have split.
TBH i know bugger all about Octavia VRS engines but i presume the basics are the same so you never know, it could be a similar problem as i had.
I hope it is as simple as the hoses as I was advised to change them as they where restrictive and prone to failing. I won an eBay auction for some new uprated ones glad you got yours sorted. There is no smoke so hoping it is an easy fix
Old 31-10-2013, 01:24 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Oil light often means a blocked oil pick up strainer. Can be an engine killer.
Old 31-10-2013, 06:11 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Oil light often means a blocked oil pick up strainer. Can be an engine killer.
Not on a VAG vehicle surely.
Old 31-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Acidburn
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_
Not on a VAG vehicle surely.
yeah, unfortunately quite a common issue.
Old 31-10-2013, 09:12 AM
turbochild

Originally Posted by Acidburn
yeah, unfortunately quite a common issue.
It's been in for a service says on the sheet it's a sensor the part wasn't in stock and the guy never went back for it resolved I've got one on order should be getting done tomorrow the car isn't really getting used at the min till I get these issues sorted as I have a van also and would rather not take the risk. Would this problem you suggested come up on a diagnostic?
Old 31-10-2013, 10:55 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

is it the mk1 or mk2 you've got?
Old 31-10-2013, 11:24 AM
rsminter
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a vrs and as already suggested blocked up oil pick up strainer is very common on these.
i would not be driving it or starting it until the oil light issue is resolved,hopefully it is the sensor but it could well be a blocked strainer.
its a cheap and easy fix as long as you have not run it with oil not getting round the engine.
if the sensor does fix the fault and you plan on keeping the car i would get the pick up pipe changed anyway.
also coolant temp sensor, water pump,thermostat and cam belt failures,all common faults.
Old 31-10-2013, 02:57 PM
chink
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as above the pick up pipe block up, is the oil light yellow or red? and is it flashing?
Old 31-10-2013, 03:49 PM
L1AM_RS
Regular Contributor

I used to have a mk1 vRS lastyear and all of the above is correct.

As mentioned before. Oil pickups are prone for blocking on higher mileage engines, you saw the odd one on the forums suffering from this.

My MAF sensor went while on WOT and went with a massive bang! (Engine jolt)

Secondary air intake pumps split easily and cause a "jet engine" noise on startup

Oil breather pipes under the inlet manifold are prone to splitting

Boost pipe connections are also prone to leaking boost.

Coil packs are prone to break down also and will cause a fault with dodgy running. There is a recall on these at the moment where skoda will replace these for FREE if your car hasn't already had the recall. Phone your local dealer and give them the reg to book it in!

All in all tho apart from the above, cracking cars and i still miss mine. Very underestimated by many!!!!!
Old 31-10-2013, 04:37 PM
turbochild

Originally Posted by chink
as above the pick up pipe block up, is the oil light yellow or red? and is it flashing?
The oil light is yellow it's not flashing?
Old 31-10-2013, 04:45 PM
turbochild

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
is it the mk1 or mk2 you've got?
It's a mk1 on a 52 plate

Originally Posted by L1AM_RS
I used to have a mk1 vRS lastyear and all of the above is correct.

As mentioned before. Oil pickups are prone for blocking on higher mileage engines, you saw the odd one on the forums suffering from this.

My MAF sensor went while on WOT and went with a massive bang! (Engine jolt)

Secondary air intake pumps split easily and cause a "jet engine" noise on startup

Oil breather pipes under the inlet manifold are prone to splitting

Boost pipe connections are also prone to leaking boost.

Coil packs are prone to break down also and will cause a fault with dodgy running. There is a recall on these at the moment where skoda will replace these for FREE if your car hasn't already had the recall. Phone your local dealer and give them the reg to book it in!

All in all tho apart from the above, cracking cars and i still miss mine. Very underestimated by many!!!!!
Coil packs where done last month along with a full service and it had a partial strip down to fix a rocker cover gasket leak it says on the receipt the oil light was on in the service due to a sensor and wasn't replaced at the time as it wasn't in stock and the owner wasn't willing to wait I have one ordered but will get it booked in for a full diagnostic just incase cheers for the info

I'm not sure why it had lost boost not totally gone but I'm guessing that will come up on the diagnostic also
Old 31-10-2013, 08:58 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

as already stated, the oil strainer & pick up pipes block, even if this is not the cause you need to drop the sump and do this anyway. It will save your engine.

the sumps are so easy to drop on the mk1 vrs, just one sensor to unplug and you can drop the sump, no need to move anything or take anything out the way first.
Old 31-10-2013, 09:19 PM
turbochild

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
as already stated, the oil strainer & pick up pipes block, even if this is not the cause you need to drop the sump and do this anyway. It will save your engine.

the sumps are so easy to drop on the mk1 vrs, just one sensor to unplug and you can drop the sump, no need to move anything or take anything out the way first.
Apparently from what I read online when you change the sensor that is getting the blame for the problem you loose the oil anyway so I'm going to get them done at the same time for piece of mind and to also not risking the engine or risk loosing the oil twice lol cheers for the advice mate much appreciated

Last edited by turbochild; 31-10-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:29 PM
turbochild

Got all parts today for a grand total of £60 the sealant for the sump was the most expensive bit lol all genuine parts though
Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

couple of hours tops and you'll be done