General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cost of painting a saff

Search this Thread

Old 22-09-2013, 07:54 PM
little bram
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cost of painting a saff

Ok my brother (Bram) got ripped off when getting has car painted long story but after two years maybe three got it back and it's painted but its a really bad job and he's loss all heat in the car. There's part's of the car what he has missed, big runs and loads of shit in it.
Anyway he has scraped together some money to get it done again bearing in mind he's getting married next year and has got someone else to do it but its been a month and he hasn't painted the door we give him to show us what his painting is like He said he needs to do other jobs and then do the saff but looks like its going to take anther 3 years he said its because of the price he give us.
To me tho the car has been painted now for about 6/7 months so the paint is hard and flats off nice and easy and apart from about 4 very small dents the isn't alot to do apart from flat out and paint proply.
So what would you's say was a sensible price/rough estimate?

Thanks
Lee

Last edited by little bram; 22-09-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 22-09-2013, 08:03 PM
dean9595
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My last sapph was diamond White and was 14 years ago cost me £2000 and was show standard
Old 22-09-2013, 08:12 PM
boy-racer-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends on condition of the car as to how much materials will cost and hours needed to do the work
Old 22-09-2013, 08:13 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Your paying for the quality of finish so it ranges from £1000-£3500 depending on prep work and finish
Old 22-09-2013, 08:26 PM
little bram

Yeah when the car went to get painted the first time there was hardlys any prep work to do just some dents to sort there was no rust at all me and my brother did all the work before hand. Now the car is painted and like I said apart from the parts he has missed and about 4 dents there's not a lot of prep work to be done so all I can see is repair 4 dent and flat off and paint.

Last edited by little bram; 22-09-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 22-09-2013, 08:29 PM
little bram

Originally Posted by dean9595
My last sapph was diamond White and was 14 years ago cost me £2000 and was show standard
Haha 14 years ago I was 13 mate canny money for back then must have been a good job
Old 22-09-2013, 08:31 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

If your doing the work yourself I'd say about £300 in parts I.e paints/tape/prep cleaning/fillers etc and hours of work, if not its all down to the painter as you could prep a car and the painter may not be happy with the finish you've provided?
Old 22-09-2013, 08:45 PM
little bram

Not wanting to do the prep work or do it my self mate just want a painter to do it
Old 22-09-2013, 08:45 PM
tonysierra4x4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am no expert but if car has been painted for 6 /7 months and the job was started 2 / 3 yrs ago i would not be surprised to see it rusting pretty soon. surely it all needs taking back and sorting properly. the reason i say this is the 3dr i bought was painted in primer in the engine bay and after about 8 months rust started showing through everywhere and i was told it was because primer can absorb water. mine didn't matter because it was going back to bare metal anyway. not what you want to hear but i would hate for you to spend more money and find it doesn't last.
Old 23-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I had my saph 'painted' (I use that term very loosely) just before it came off the road 4 years ago and it's a fucking awful job and that cost me £1700. When I took it back to them because I wasn't happy with it, when they told me what they were going to do to rectify it, I just left, never went back and put it down to experience. And that was a guy that was recommended to me by a mate and all the work he ever had done by him was spot on.

My arches were not round and had straight bits where he replaced various sections (I asked for completely new arches either side) and all they were going to do was weld on new wheelarches over the top of the old ones and blend them in with filler, the sides are ripply as fuck, various runs here and there, the paint has sunk in various places due to the poor prep work (different layers of paint according to the guy I use now) and the arches are going rusty again (the car has done 400 miles since being painted 4 years ago and has been stored in a dry garage all that time) so as you can imagine, it looks a minter (munter more like!!)

The scary thing thing is my mate was impressed with what he done to mine and had his done by the same geezer and that turned out shit too!

The plan now is to have it done again by the guy that painted the side of my ST as that has come out well but until I can afford it, it'll be getting tiger striped like the old Turbosystems cars just to cover up the majority of the shit bits.

It seems bodyshops are a lottery, they seem to vary so much in price and quality and it doesn't always work that the more you pay, the better the job.
Old 23-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mines going in next week few repairs, bit of filler work on the new arches fit new wings and back panel all proper spot welded and I'm looking in and around £ 2700, I took it all over the place for quotes, some places just weren't interested, I even booked it in with a place and agreed a price went to drop it off and the price jumped up by £1k when I asked why it had gone up the answer was "because" wtf see ya
Old 23-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm amazed people are getting quotes for repairs and paint for under £2000!?

My ERST is going to the bodyshop in the next few weeks. I went to around 8 local places with the offer of the car being trailered there with no plastics, no windows, no repairs doing, doors bonnet and boot lid all removed, just minor filling on the repairs I have done myself. My quotes ranged from £1900-£3500
Old 23-09-2013, 04:39 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

My moonstone blue Orion was painted by a mate in his spare time at work...
The car was taken to him all welded up, just wanting filling, prepping etc... Was a rolling shell...
Cost me £1300 quid, his work is awesome...

My red Orion was again taken rolling to another mate, that was £300... Couldn't fault that for the money... Looked lovely...