General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Bad news for track days

Search this Thread

Old 22-09-2013, 05:25 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by SBT83
And this is exactly the point why I mentioned a regulatory body to be involved and set legal rules that can protect people like the lad in question. The situation is a difficult one to be in and to be slapped with a £20+k law suit for some bloke on a forum to say he needs to counter claim off of ???? Would benefit from said bodys backing in black and white.

Obviously this isn't going to happen and you are right he is basically fucked for the money. All he can hope is a judge takes pity on him
And what happens when more regulation is introduced ?...more arseholes get involved, and costs sky rocket because every scumbag on the planet wants their piece of the £££ pie for dreaming up and maintaining the new regulations.

There is already black and white out there.

Motorsport is dangerous, and anyone taking part does so at their own risk. I dont think Ive ever taken part in any form of motorsport where I havent had to sign such a disclaimer
Old 22-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
That's probably so the AA or RAC dont see photos of them on track and not come to get them when they break down lol
Or they bin it on track and get towed out by a mate and "have an accident" a mile down the road.
Old 22-09-2013, 05:26 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 117 Likes on 110 Posts

Haven't done any track days for a few years but in the time I was doing them, collisions with other cars are quite rare. But it does happen!

Saw a mk2 Golf go off the track down Craners at Donington then rejoin the track and go into the side of a then nearly new Golf R32

Mate had a collision in his Lotus with a Ginetta race car at Rockingham.

Saw a vid where an Evo lost it at La Source hairpin at Spa and went into an M3 that was coming out of the pits.

Last edited by GVK.; 22-09-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 22-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out or understands the principle...

The chap in the caterham has made an insurance claim, he's done nothing wrong and nothing other than anyone on this thread would do if they were insured.

The insurance company have pursued the guy who hit him as they clearly felt it was worth while whether the guy has the means to pay or there was sufficient grounds to do so.

Totally up to the insurance company to chose to do this - no one else makes the decision.

It does perhaps create a worrying situation for the future.
Old 22-09-2013, 05:53 PM
SBT83
Not Crazy, just Unwell

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And what happens when more regulation is introduced ?...more arseholes get involved, and costs sky rocket because every scumbag on the planet wants their piece of the £££ pie
I did mention this as a downside a few posts ago.

Shings, your right mate it is very worrying for the future.

Maybe this will end up being insurance companies dreams. Motorsport crashes that bring in dough.

My point exactly. If this is what the future has to offer us enthusiasts, we will all be crying out and venting our opinions then
Old 22-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't work out how the Evo lost it,,, he hit the throttle, slid so lock the brakes at a slow speed ?

As for the insurance,,, it's bound to happen so then we ALL get track day cover and they win like usual

I'm starting to loose faith in performance cars as the costs are getting stupid for a hobby
Old 22-09-2013, 06:33 PM
primedog
PassionFord Regular

i personally would not take out track day insurance and would swallow self inflicted damage, but im sure id be a bit bitter to say the least if someone else wrote my car off - as many of us would i think (admit it or not) - and would like to see some sort of compensation.
but reality is alot of money may go into our cars over the years but i no if i hit a C7 n owed 20k id not be able to pay that!!!

the fact that the insurance company are chasing matey down for costs is wrong as the insurance quote is based on risk and for them gaining X amount for the risk at hand they need to take on the chin they hav to pay out....

just a shame that the overall rule isnt -

IF YOU HAVE INSURANCE, U PAY THE PREMIUM AND ARE COVERED (lets say 3rd party included) IF PAID OUT THE COMPANY SHOULD SWALLOW THE PAY OUT.
BUT THIS THEN MAY REFLECT ON YOUR NEXT TRACK DAY PREMIUM... JUST LIKE NORMAL INSURANCE.

just thinking out loud here, not saying this answer is fool proof either so not starting a debate!
Old 22-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by primedog
IF YOU HAVE INSURANCE, U PAY THE PREMIUM AND ARE COVERED (lets say 3rd party included) IF PAID OUT THE COMPANY SHOULD SWALLOW THE PAY OUT.
BUT THIS THEN MAY REFLECT ON YOUR NEXT TRACK DAY PREMIUM... JUST LIKE NORMAL INSURANCE.

just thinking out loud here, not saying this answer is fool proof either so not starting a debate!
Why should they if a court of Law lays the blame at someone elses door.
You take part in a Dangerous pursuit then expect someone else to pick up the tab if you make a mistake that a court of Law says is Negligent.
The Law has not changed its always been the same you cant waver negligence or expect an Insurer to pay out when someone else is at fault. Oneday it will be life not just a hunk of metal that has to be compensated.
Old 22-09-2013, 07:33 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

the problem is too many do track days and have not got a clue how to drive and control a car or an understanding of lift off oversteer.youtube is full of it. sometimes mistakes are made by competent drivers but some are just plain useless on track. especially guys who run massive bhp just so they can think they are cool but cant control it on the limit.
just saying
Old 22-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Originally Posted by Underdog ST170
the problem is too many do track days and have not got a clue how to drive and control a car or an understanding of lift off oversteer.youtube is full of it. sometimes mistakes are made by competent drivers but some are just plain useless on track. especially guys who run massive bhp just so they can think they are cool but cant control it on the limit.
just saying
Just agreeing.
Half the time they're nowhere near the real limit of the car. Spend thousands making the car faster, when they could just learn to drive better. Then wonder why a lesser car can keep up. I think I upset an M3 last time at Mallory.
Old 22-09-2013, 07:58 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by Madgit
Just agreeing.
Half the time they're nowhere near the real limit of the car. Spend thousands making the car faster, when they could just learn to drive better. Then wonder why a lesser car can keep up. I think I upset an M3 last time at Mallory.

M3 drivers are the worst iv come across. my last 2 track days have been hindered by ignorant m3 drivers. llandow and castle combe. both went around the corners like they were driving on ice then leave me on the straight. on llandow this e92 i think with over 400 bhp backed up 4 cars for about 5 laps. and not one of the 4 cars had over 200bhp. they just dont like being passed.

Also yesterday i went to rallyday just to spectate and there were some older rally cars(no idea what they were) but they were going around the track no more than about 50 mph. that to me is downright dangerous and they should not be on the track if your that incompetent.
Old 22-09-2013, 07:58 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if you prang your car on a track day then it's normally only your car that will be covered

unless your policy specifically covers damage to other vehicles you should always be looking at the small print

i'm pretty sure that the accident that happened on the parade lap the other year had lots of ins and outs, but we will never know because that's the way they want it to stay, by not paying out under some clause or like this poor fooker now has to find £21k to fix some other cunts car who crashed in front of him

it's bollocks i know, but it happens all the time
Old 22-09-2013, 08:04 PM
mark r
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why didit they just come to some arrangement that the crash happened somewhere else.i.e. false address of crash etc etc
Old 22-09-2013, 08:15 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mark r
why didit they just come to some arrangement that the crash happened somewhere else.i.e. false address of crash etc etc
Maybe the guy in the Caterham who could legitimately claim off his insurance didn't want to put in a fraudulent claim against a guy who (seemingly) didn't bother with insurance.

It'll either all blow over, or (more likely) insurance companies will start to use this as a precedent and there will be a lot more cases springing up. The Insurance companies will then start offering track insurance with 3rd party cover, and charge a whopping premium for it. It's basically a win win for them.
Old 22-09-2013, 08:18 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by mark r
cos its illegal maybe
Old 22-09-2013, 08:30 PM
SBT83
Not Crazy, just Unwell

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Maybe the guy in the Caterham who could legitimately claim off his insurance didn't want to put in a fraudulent claim against a guy who (seemingly) didn't bother with insurance. It'll either all blow over, or (more likely) insurance companies will start to use this as a precedent and there will be a lot more cases springing up. The Insurance companies will then start offering track insurance with 3rd party cover, and charge a whopping premium for it. It's basically a win win for them.
I was gonna say exactly that!!
Old 22-09-2013, 08:58 PM
MrC
Advanced PassionFord User

Wouldn't said bloke not use his motor legal protection through his insurance?? It can be used for them fighting on your behalf if being sued by a third party for motor claims, that's what you pay the premium for, it's not just if you use your insurance or not, it's a seperate insurance.
Old 22-09-2013, 09:01 PM
SBT83
Not Crazy, just Unwell

Originally Posted by MrC
Wouldn't said bloke not use his motor legal protection through his insurance?? It can be used for them fighting on your behalf if being sued by a third party for motor claims, that's what you pay the premium for, it's not just if you use your insurance or not, it's a seperate insurance.
I said just this earlier, but didn't know if you could with deprecate policy's??
Old 22-09-2013, 09:08 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

if some fud crashed into me even on a trackday id be trying all i could to push the cost onto him rather than it coming out of my pocket.fuck all the gentlemens agreement nonsense
maybe all trackdays should insist on a level of insurance before allowing entry?
Old 22-09-2013, 09:12 PM
MrC

Originally Posted by Madgit
Sorry to quote yours Steve but maybe it will stand out more than others.

No insurance would have covered this issue.

Plus if you look into most Trackday policies, there is a very big excess so plenty of people don't bother with it.
Originally Posted by SBT83
I said just this earlier, but didn't know if you could with deprecate policy's??
They've accused him of negligent driving, I'm sure they can fight on his behalf to clear his name.

You'd be surprised what motor legal cover covers, or any other legal cover ie home legal cover. Especially handy for civil desputes.
Old 22-09-2013, 09:16 PM
SBT83
Not Crazy, just Unwell

This cover should be a must before entering a trackday, as stated. You would think that, you would want to cover yourself for any accidents that could happen.
Old 22-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

What the guy who is getting sued needs to do now, is counter sue either the organisers of the event, or anyone else he deemed caused the crash....and it becomes a never ending situation.
Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
(more likely) insurance companies will start to use this as a precedent and there will be a lot more cases springing up. The Insurance companies will then start offering track insurance with 3rd party cover, and charge a whopping premium for it. It's basically a win win for them.
exactly if this isnt challenged then the precedant will be legally set for anyone crashed into to sue the person who hit them or who they think is responsible.

Then what dan has said will happen, and it will be compulsory as not a single track in the country would want to be liable in any way incase someone was uninsured and they are held indirectly liable for letting the uninsured driver on track.

So it will become compulsory and the prices will skyrocket as the insurance companies will price fix it because we dont have a choice.

And you bet it will be very expensive to get full cover too. Just simple risk comparison between road mileage and track mileage tells you that!!

Wouldnt surprise me if it ends up being £100 or more per trackday for cover or something like £1k for a annual policy allowing say 1 track day a month.

And i bet like road insurance it will be modifications dependant premium too. more power= more risk etc etc etc.
Old 23-09-2013, 08:59 AM
SiZT

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
Wouldnt surprise me if it ends up being £100 or more per trackday for cover or something like £1k for a annual policy allowing say 1 track day a month.
It will be a lot more than that, the current rule of thumb is that track insurance costs 10% of your car value per track day!!! (for single day insurance)

Hopefully the guy will be able to take it through the insurance ombudsman and get it reversed otherwise it's going to fuck everything right up
Old 23-09-2013, 11:57 AM
a-mac
Part of the Furniture

you would just need to take personal liability insurance , if you are willing to take hit

on your own car
Old 23-09-2013, 03:47 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SiZT
It will be a lot more than that, the current rule of thumb is that track insurance costs 10% of your car value per track day!!! (for single day insurance)

You can get track cover for a LOT cheaper than that!
Old 23-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Sinbad
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

M3 drivers are the worst iv come across. my last 2 track days have been hindered by ignorant m3 drivers. llandow and castle combe. both went around the corners like they were driving on ice then leave me on the straight. on llandow this e92 i think with over 400 bhp backed up 4 cars for about 5 laps. and not one of the 4 cars had over 200bhp. they just dont like being passed.

Also yesterday i went to rallyday just to spectate and there were some older rally cars(no idea what they were) but they were going around the track no more than about 50 mph. that to me is downright dangerous and they should not be on the track if your that incompetent.
Bellend at Donington last year in a Porsche Boxter trying to drift, went off 3 times prick with too much money and no respect for anyone else
Old 23-09-2013, 08:15 PM
primedog
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Rod-Tarry
Why should they if a court of Law lays the blame at someone elses door.
You take part in a Dangerous pursuit then expect someone else to pick up the tab if you make a mistake that a court of Law says is Negligent.
The Law has not changed its always been the same you cant waver negligence or expect an Insurer to pay out when someone else is at fault. Oneday it will be life not just a hunk of metal that has to be compensated.
im just saying insurance offers a service at a risk, they milk us every year n put the prices up and make it almost impossible for youngsters to afford driving....

yea fair enough as a business they chase who ever is to blame to re-coup their own costs but what i said is..... "its a shame the rule isnt" who ever is to blame should indeed be held responsible!!! but the situation has been caused by negligence on behalf of event organiser surely as there is no black and white regarding consequences and responsibilities! allowing tom dick harry to race around with no insurance at whos risk???????

and i dont expect someone else to pick up the tab if i mess up on track, i already mentioned id swallow it if it was me!
and as far as "Oneday it will be life not just a hunk of metal that has to be compensated" thats stating the obvious to say the least... seems as you have all the answers why is there even a thread about the predicament both parties are in????
Old 28-09-2013, 02:09 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Panic over. the insurance company are not pursuing the claim and stated it does not set a future standard. also they have suggested new wording to the disclaimer to avoid this again.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Panic over. the insurance company are not pursuing the claim and stated it does not set a future standard. also they have suggested new wording to the disclaimer to avoid this again.
Well that's good news then
Rich