General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Improving throttle response and 'revvyness' on a YB engine- Ideas please

Search this Thread

Old 20-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
For low end response the YB is a poor engine both geometrically (bore and stroke) and mechanically (Inertia of components) I'm afraid.
The huge and heavy flywheel doesn't help, nor does the very heavy bottom end.
The thing is just hugely over engineered for low states of tune and will never feel like a modern lightweight 4 pot that falls to pieces at 350ftlb of torque.

Advancing the cams to shift the engines efficiency lower can help significantly if your willing to run more boost up the top to overcome the VE drop or indeed don't care about BHP figures but ultimately, a responsive revy little engine she isn't.

That said, without driving your car I couldn't comment on how yours actually performs, and the usual responsiveness problem is normally exasperated significantly by bad states of tune, specifically very rich mixtures, poor cam timing and spark timing issues. Not a lot else I can add without access to the car itself.
What Stu is saying in a round about way is that if you want it to rev, give it more power that the big internals are begging for . Mine revs so quick that you have to be ready to pull the next gear (or hit the limiter if your reactions aren't quick enough), but to do respond like this, it has over 500bhp and over 500lb ft.
Old 20-08-2013, 01:30 PM
WTF?!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indeed mike, hence why I said revvyness was less of a factor, but ideas of anything to help beyond the obvious of more power (IE the flywheel) will be appreciated.

The main factor is the numb feelling throttle response, which is something else entirely, and tbh I think the most likely culprit (beyond the flywheel) is the current map.
Old 20-08-2013, 04:23 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Well I'm glad we got to the end of that.

Not like it was said right at the beginning of the post or anything WTF!
Old 20-08-2013, 06:50 PM
WTF?!

Originally Posted by markk
Well I'm glad we got to the end of that.

Not like it was said right at the beginning of the post or anything WTF!
We haven't got to the end of anything, just nobody has any other ideas it seems so the thread died.

Well here's one, if anyone cares much- A turbine blanket. I had one lying around off another car, and it was big enough to cover the whole hot side inc most the 4x4 manifold. While it doesn't have a night and day difference of course, it has helped make the response a little more instant.

TBH what I'm after 99% of people won't care about, maybe just the rally/sprint/hillclimb people. But I'm not in the market (well, my wallet isn't) for a high-comp rally engine, I'm just trying to make the most of what I got.
On the weekend running a hillclimb course the car annoyed me with a lack of instant response- On the road or most tracks and extra 5ft or faction of a second until the car responds isn't noticeable, but it is with what I do with the car.
Old 20-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by WTF?!
We haven't got to the end of anything, just nobody has any other ideas it seems so the thread died.

Well here's one, if anyone cares much- A turbine blanket. I had one lying around off another car, and it was big enough to cover the whole hot side inc most the 4x4 manifold. While it doesn't have a night and day difference of course, it has helped make the response a little more instant.

TBH what I'm after 99% of people won't care about, maybe just the rally/sprint/hillclimb people. But I'm not in the market (well, my wallet isn't) for a high-comp rally engine, I'm just trying to make the most of what I got.
On the weekend running a hillclimb course the car annoyed me with a lack of instant response- On the road or most tracks and extra 5ft or faction of a second until the car responds isn't noticeable, but it is with what I do with the car.
How on earth has a turbine blanket helped?

I thought the problem was throttle response and not efficiency of drive of the turbo!

You could always gear it down which will give the feeling of a 'revvy' motor.
Old 20-08-2013, 08:17 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rs1

I thought the problem was throttle response and not efficiency of drive of the turbo!

I was thinking the same myself, Sorry WTF but I just cannot take you serious anymore.

Good luck with the car.
Old 20-08-2013, 08:46 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air intake temperatures I assume?
Old 20-08-2013, 09:30 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a chip off Stu asap and see if it improves what you already have .
Old 20-08-2013, 10:20 PM
matthewpickup
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

a really light flywheel makes a big difference and as said about dropping a gear going up hills , as its for revs not cruising along

this is a guess but could you not go long con rods and short pistons and lightening and balancing to help it rev better?
Old 20-08-2013, 10:24 PM
matthewpickup

are you using this car for hill climb?

and if your power level is around the 250ish bhp you might be better off going n/a as it will be better suited and probably more controllable and put out around the same bhp
Old 20-08-2013, 11:33 PM
WTF?!

Originally Posted by Rs1

Because it's made the turbo respond a little sharper, which has in turn made light throttle movements feel a bit sharper, pretty obvious why to be fair.
Pretty much does the same on every car I've ever fitted one to.

Like I said from the start, I don't care THAT much about revvyness as I know nothing much can be done aside from what's mentioned, and like I said already in the thread, I don't want to lower the gearing any more than it already is. It's the response I was after.

May as well stop now, got all the worthwhile answers I'm going to get.
Old 21-08-2013, 08:04 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Don't know why you made a thread tbh as you knew everything from the offset it seems. A good setup is MUCH more extensive than you might think from the likes of MSD as there are about 15 or 20 things that they will check and alter if necessary. It isn't just a simple fuelling and ignition check and then away you go.

I took my piddly 1.8 Zetec up there and one of the very first things I noticed about it was how different the throttle felt. Was so much more snappier it was unreal on a relatively low tune run of the mill engine.

If mechanically everything is sound then the only other worthwhile changes you can make to the way it drives is how it is mapped and setup.
Old 21-08-2013, 09:04 AM
WTF?!

I deffo didn't know everything already, lol, in fact there's been some decent advice a few times on this thread of things to check etc, not to mention the reassurance that that's just the way they are. Tbh I was just hoping somebody had some interesting little things that have been found out over the years that help a YB, but I guess there isn't anything much, as it's just the way it is.

Last edited by WTF?!; 21-08-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 21-08-2013, 09:08 AM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Just keep it on boost all the time
Old 21-08-2013, 10:13 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

ive owned a well set up t3 car on greens and a stage 2 running iirc 22 psi tailing right off up in the revs and that was really responsive but not high revving as the turbine housing throttled it above 5500 rpm.

if it feels lethargic then maybe something isn't right, just get it to a decent tuner and get cam timing, ignition timing, fueling etc checked. any poorly set up car will be a dog.

also make sure you havnt got any boost leaks ive just done my gtr and the difference in response after sealing a leaky dump valve and remap is honestly night and day.
Old 21-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

So after all is said and done - Take the car to a tuner as Warren stated right at the start of the thread

WTF is quite an apt username
Old 21-08-2013, 02:53 PM
WTF?!

Originally Posted by Paul_RS
So after all is said and done - Take the car to a tuner as Warren stated right at the start of the thread

WTF is quite an apt username
WTF is going on in peoples minds on this forum more like, lol. Most people replying either can't read or are just being awkward for the sake of it

I was looking to see if there's anything else to improve things barring the tune being wrong or something being faulty.

These cars aren't perfect from the factory, and defo aren't super responsive for what they are either, hence asking if anyone's done any mods (barring extreme stuff like a high comp rally motor) that will improve things. Nobody really had any ideas I didn't already think of, but it was worth a try; it's what forums are for aren't they?

And most problems barring how crap the map is I wouldn't need to go pay a tuner to diagnose. People who just blindly pay people to fix issues regardless of what they are surely shouldn't be ones giving 'advice' on tuning

Last edited by WTF?!; 21-08-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 21-08-2013, 07:43 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But can you see if the TPS is set at optimum ? The fueling at low rpm as Stu has said can be a cause some of your symptoms . Getting the fuel pot set globally and calibrating the TPS can be done indoors but most people would rather the pro,s do it for them .
Old 21-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

I don't think WTF really wants the answers....just seems ANGRY
Old 21-08-2013, 08:05 PM
SBT83
Not Crazy, just Unwell

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Huff

Love this thread!!
Old 21-08-2013, 08:57 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

he's probably forgotten more about cossies than most of you put together know
Old 21-08-2013, 09:53 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Sounds like Tabetha with PMT
Old 21-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Its not tabetha lol

But he does have pmt pmsl
Old 21-08-2013, 11:52 PM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

My 3dr using a t3.60 (saph 4x4 t3 on 2wd manifold) was peaking 26 then levelling off as it runs out of puff top end. Never had problems with unresponsiveness, it just kicks.
Old 22-08-2013, 07:12 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by WTF?!
WTF is going on in peoples minds on this forum more like, lol. Most people replying either can't read or are just being awkward for the sake of it

I was looking to see if there's anything else to improve things barring the tune being wrong or something being faulty.

These cars aren't perfect from the factory, and defo aren't super responsive for what they are either, hence asking if anyone's done any mods (barring extreme stuff like a high comp rally motor) that will improve things. Nobody really had any ideas I didn't already think of, but it was worth a try; it's what forums are for aren't they?

And most problems barring how crap the map is I wouldn't need to go pay a tuner to diagnose. People who just blindly pay people to fix issues regardless of what they are surely shouldn't be ones giving 'advice' on tuning

Im going to reply again, I feel you are mistaken.
you say you have plenty of power but going from no boost to positive boost seems unresponsive now for this to happen there is a problem a little bit lighter flywheel isn't going to fix it.

my mate who is on here had a saph at stage 1 and that was lethargic really bad it made boost and did pull but was flat as a fart he even commented to me asking "whys it so shit compared to yours" he sold it in the end.
if anyone who owns a t3 powered car thinks its lethargic then there is something wrong with it ime.

my rb26 was doing this exact same thing and the dump valve wasn't sealing only stuck open by 2 - 3mm and it made the engine feel very lethargic. ive had a few cars over the years at varying power levels upto 800 hp and been a mechanic for 15 years and your problem sounds far more than heavy inertia engine parts to me.

first port of call I would make sure you don't have any boost circuit leaks.

Last edited by scoooby slayer; 22-08-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 22-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Liam G Poole

The first thing id do is check down the bores to see if the pistons look like std 2wd ones and that might give you an idea of cr, if its been rebuilt it may be lower cr?

Then id be thinking of getting a better of the shelf chip from stu and getting at least a l8 ecu if your on a l1(cant remember if it was l1 or l6 you said you had?)..

If the cr looks std then the chip and set up will transform the car imo..
Old 23-08-2013, 12:24 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Liam G Poole
The first thing id do is check down the bores to see if the pistons look like std 2wd ones and that might give you an idea of cr, if its been rebuilt it may be lower cr?

Then id be thinking of getting a better of the shelf chip from stu and getting at least a l8 ecu if your on a l1(cant remember if it was l1 or l6 you said you had?)..

If the cr looks std then the chip and set up will transform the car imo..
I really don't think that will make any difference, so far as I know the only difference between a L8 and the earlier differences is the former has double the memory (128K) hence it can control ALS/LC/CL etc.

Martin
Old 23-08-2013, 01:00 PM
wes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe transient fueling wasn't available in the weber ECU's until the L8.
Old 23-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Liam G Poole

Originally Posted by martysmartie
I really don't think that will make any difference, so far as I know the only difference between a L8 and the earlier differences is the former has double the memory (128K) hence it can control ALS/LC/CL etc.

Martin

Im not saying the ecu will make all the difference the op is going on about im just saying after checking cr that if hes going to the trouble of getting a new chip id ditch the l1 and get a better l8 at the same time...

I was always led to believe that the l1 is very slow and even a l6 was better?
Old 24-08-2013, 03:21 AM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nms gunship mapp.........

when i spoke to the tuners about my cossies, they said when they send out a chip they turn everything down to a safe level that will work on any cossie including the ignition, and they would dial it all back in when they set it up

this could be the problem that the car had a chip like this and needs a live mapp/set up to make the most from it

could be the chip?

i though my stage 1 was boring to be honest, the difference to a live mapped nms stage3 from a plug in stage 1 was night and day
Old 24-08-2013, 10:39 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Liam G Poole
Im not saying the ecu will make all the difference the op is going on about im just saying after checking cr that if hes going to the trouble of getting a new chip id ditch the l1 and get a better l8 at the same time...

I was always led to believe that the l1 is very slow and even a l6 was better?
I don't think so, as far as I am aware the only difference lies in the electronics, I don't think there are any major differences between L1 and L6.

The L8 is just an L6 with a 'baby board', which I am think I am right in saying accomodates the extra memory. Hence if you remove this board you essestially have an L6, lol!

I have heard about the 'transient fuelling' before, not sure what difference that makes though?

Martin
Old 25-08-2013, 09:22 AM
wes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have heard about the 'transient fuelling' before, not sure what difference that makes though?

Martin
Here is a video which explains what it is (it's about 20 mins long):

Maybe useful to the original question on improving throttle response.
Old 25-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator

I can understand your comments about just not wanting to pay money for someone to say oh its fine, but if the so called "dodgy" chip is that then it might just be the best money you have paid out and get the reason as to why it feels like it does..
no "tuner" can give you a definitive answer without actually driving the car or offer much real advice that would help. they will just "speculate" as to why you have the problem not the reasons you have the problem.

OR..
stage 3 it ... will be a totally different car ..
took my 4x4 from stage 1 to a stage 3 and was the best money I spent at the start ..
oh and having mark shead set it up with one of stu's chips..
Old 25-08-2013, 10:12 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rsmark86
i though my stage 1 was boring to be honest, the difference to a live mapped nms stage3 from a plug in stage 1 was night and day
It will do, as obviously it's making more power.

Martin

Last edited by martysmartie; 25-08-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 25-08-2013, 10:11 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It will do, as obviously it's making more power.

Martin
i think its more to do with the way its set up/ mapped over a plug it chip
Old 26-08-2013, 12:10 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rsmark86
i think its more to do with the way its set up/ mapped over a plug it chip
But that would be true of any live map over an off the shelf chip, the latter is always going to be a compromise.

Martin
Old 26-08-2013, 01:57 AM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yep which i would say is his problem...... an unknown chip