General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Common Focus Fuel Gauge Fault?

Search this Thread

Old 27-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Cardie
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Common Focus Fuel Gauge Fault?

Since owning the car (2 weeks ago) ive noticed the fuel gauge would get to just under half a tank then drop to just above empty the next time you turn the key on.

Anyway the past couple of day ive put £30 which went to half a tank ish, ive probably done a tenners worth (about 80 miles roughly) and the fuel light is already on, but turn the key off and on it will somtimes shoot up to nearly full?

So I went through the diagnostics menu on the dash until it came up with the fuel readout which when the car isnt running it will say F060 and go up or down slightly (F060 F061) and if you shake the car it would go up or down about 20+/- but now it sits bang on one number and when you shake it car it goes up about 100 then back to whatever number it decides.

Now ive heard there was a recall on some early models (Dont know how to find out if mine is one of them) for the senders to go bad after a while, would I be able to do anything about it or is it way too late now?

Its just a pain in the arse as I dont want to end up running out of diesel and end up having blocked pumps, burnt out fuel pumps, blocked filters and pipes etc.

Could I just get one off ebay and stick it straight in? Also how hard is the tank to remove? Cheers.
Old 27-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I would be trying to fit a new sender.I did my mams 51 reg 1.6 focus fuel sender/pump on the drive in the snow.It only took me about an hour if that to drop the tank out.

you could always be gash and cut a hole out under the back seat.
Old 27-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Cardie
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glenn_
I would be trying to fit a new sender.I did my mams 51 reg 1.6 focus fuel sender/pump on the drive in the snow.It only took me about an hour if that to drop the tank out.

you could always be gash and cut a hole out under the back seat.
Id only cut it if the bolts underneith were fecked, pretty easy to get out then I guess?
Old 27-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Yeh I put the back wheels of the car on ramps then dropped the exhaust off its mounts and pushed the exhaust across.Then I dropped the fuel tank brackets down and removed the tank.Check the plug on top of tje sender to make sure the pins arnt corroded.