General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Fords really do push us to our limits!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fords really do push us to our limits!!!

My head is fooked, my fiesta is all im thinking about at the mo and how to get the best out of her.

Been tryin to eliminate pre-ignition . I was running 20psi with very little of it then went a bit boost crazy and wacked it up to 26/28psi with quite a lot of pre-ignition !!

so took it back down and happy days to 20psi and seems ok maybe just a little in 5th when u floor it . but just lift off a bit and all seems ok

Anyone had the same problem, thinking I need a adjustable cam pulley to retard the timing a wee bit so I can up the boost again

Cant seem to think what it could be , I know the list can be as long as your arm for what can cause it but everything is spot on , maybe 97rom fuel is not enough and I need to find a shell garage

Ive got a AFR gauge in so I know my injectors are not running lean at top end so I know I can up the boost

ARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!
Old 21-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I doubt it will be pre ignition mate, if this occurs your engine will be dead in seconds! Detonation maybe.
What are your symptoms exactly and what engine is it, CVH? MFI? EFI? Management?
Old 21-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

pinking ,pre ignition and detination I assumed they where all the ??

it made 207bhp before I put the new head on it so its got good power for a 1.6cvh EFI

Ofab, 195, beiges, standard C.R kent35 uprated fuel pump and 60 psi fuel pressure and a CNC head from rick woods with over size valves

I even had the same problem before I fitted my fuel pump !
Im wondering if upping the fuel pressure could cause this ~????

forgot to mention it sounds like a rattle if that makes sense ?

Last edited by Ben26; 21-06-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 21-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

No mate it's not all the same, pre ignition occurs before the spark and is far more likely to kill your engine instantly, detonation is after the spark and most pistons will quite happily deal with a little (and I do only mean only a little) for quite some time.

Retarding your cam timing will not allow you to run more boost, if your detonating then you need to retard you ignition timing (which you can't do).

Your fuel pressure should not have altered after fitting the pump, the FPR keeps it the same, unless you've altered that? Which you shouldn't of! lol

Your MAP sensor can only see a bar so anything over this will not have the correct fuelling or timing, this is probably the problem.
Old 21-06-2013, 01:25 PM
foci
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bite the bullet and take it somewhere to be set up. Then you know its 100%
Old 21-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Karlos G
No mate it's not all the same, pre ignition occurs before the spark and is far more likely to kill your engine instantly, detonation is after the spark and most pistons will quite happily deal with a little (and I do only mean only a little) for quite some time.

Retarding your cam timing will not allow you to run more boost, if your detonating then you need to retard you ignition timing (which you can't do).

Your fuel pressure should not have altered after fitting the pump, the FPR keeps it the same, unless you've altered that? Which you shouldn't of! lol

Your MAP sensor can only see a bar so anything over this will not have the correct fuelling or timing, this is probably the problem.
yes I did adjust my fuel pressure lol. but it did stop my top end det'ing / the rattle

but my fueling will be down to what the chip is programmed to I would of thought >?

but all my AFR is quite good from idle to full wack

I suppose the only way of sorting the problem would be going aftermarket ?
Old 21-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by foci
Bite the bullet and take it somewhere to be set up. Then you know its 100%
but on OFAB how can they "SET IT UP " ??

ive adjusted the idle ,then its in the 195 chips hands
Old 21-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Originally Posted by Ben26
yes I did adjust my fuel pressure lol. but it did stop my top end det'ing / the rattle

but my fueling will be down to what the chip is programmed to I would of thought >?

but all my AFR is quite good from idle to full wack

I suppose the only way of sorting the problem would be going aftermarket ?
It may still be detonating, without using a set of det cans you'll not always hear it.

The chip doesn't know your fuel pressure and adjust the fuelling accordingly no.

If your AFR's are good now (What actually are they at idle, cruise and WOT?) then you were obviously lean before so increasing the fuel pressure was the right thing to do in this case.

Yes going aftermarket would be the best solution, an OFAM ECU from Rob at Boost Monkeys would be a plug and play solution.
Originally Posted by Ben26
but on OFAB how can they "SET IT UP " ??

ive adjusted the idle ,then its in the 195 chips hands
Other than the base fuel pressure and idle CO there is nothing to setup your correct.

Last edited by Karlos G; 21-06-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 21-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

the OFAM has always been in the back of my mind to get and is so much cheaper than other Standalones
But no where round here that I know is capable of doing it, I would love to do it my self. buit that could be risky, but we all have to learn somewhere
Old 21-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Yeah your about a 3 hour drive from Boost Monkeys, although to be fair I've driven further for cars! lol
Old 21-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

So fit a cossy 3 bar map sensor then ? Is that what ya sayin ?
Old 21-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

You could do that yes and get another chip from MSD to work with it, plus a bigger set of injectors as yours are flat out at 200bhp (You need these whatever you do if you want more power).