General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

123ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013 | 07:26 AM
Cossiemainful
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default 123ignition

Hi, dunno if its better than wasted spark but it seems a bit cheaper solution and better than the standard distributor certainly.

Advantages (picked up from the site)
  • simple installation without mechanical adaptations
  • smoother engine torque curve.
  • no maintenance – ever again!
  • variable dwell angle to prevent low speed overheating of ignition coil and make a better spark at all speeds
  • better starting
  • better emissions
  • better fuel consumption
  • no burning out of the ignition coil (after stopping the engine power is cut to the coil after 1 second!)
  • built in LED for simple static ignition timing
  • real value for money
Heard nothing bad from customers yet. It seems you can use the genuine coil cause the 123ignition seems strong enough.

Last edited by Cossiemainful; 12-06-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-06-2013 | 01:04 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Is that not electronic ignition, going by the description?

In which case no, it's actually a backward step!

Martin
Old 12-06-2013 | 01:33 PM
Cossiemainful

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Is that not electronic ignition, going by the description?........
Martin
I think so.

I'm renewing my ignition. Do you mean the standard ignition is also better than 123? I know that wasted spark is the deal but this were a plug & play thing (no solder on ecu etc.). Therefore I consider this "faster upgrade" instead of the standard ignition or wasted spark for the moment.
Old 13-06-2013 | 12:15 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cossiemainful
I think so.

I'm renewing my ignition. Do you mean the standard ignition is also better than 123? I know that wasted spark is the deal but this were a plug & play thing (no solder on ecu etc.). Therefore I consider this "faster upgrade" instead of the standard ignition or wasted spark for the moment.
Anything that uses a standard coil is in no way an upgrade, electronic ignition is a upgrade for cars which would otherwise have breakered ignition, i.e. 'Points'.

The problem the YB suffers with is that the spark can be 'blown out', the crude workaround to alleviate this, but NOT the solution is that people make the plug gaps tiny, this then means rough idle, the plug life is shortened etc.

With WS you have two coils in one so you can double the charge time as well as do away with the antiquated distribution side of the ignition, the end result is a stronger spark and larger plug gaps.

So no, if it is merely electronic ignition, it won't work with your car anyway, WS is the '21st century' upgrade.

If you are looking for a cheap improvement I would suggest getting a 'Group A' coil.

Martin
Old 13-06-2013 | 06:40 PM
Dalek
Insert witty remark here

Is it a 123tune you are looking at ?
I have one fitted to my anglia (pre xflow), the 123tune is different from the normal 123 dizzy with the dip switches to change the advance curve. The 123 tune is proper mappable igniton (ecu) within the dizzy body.

You can have 2 maps etc etc

google it

Best thing i have fitted to my car.

Craig

Last edited by Dalek; 13-06-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 13-06-2013 | 06:47 PM
Dalek
Insert witty remark here

http://www.123ignition.nl/id/50.html
Old 13-06-2013 | 08:00 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

The problem the YB suffers with is that the spark can be 'blown out'
oh dear as soon as someone says that, even if it is in inverted commas, i stop listening to them immediately
Old 13-06-2013 | 09:44 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
oh dear as soon as someone says that, even if it is in inverted commas, i stop listening to them immediately
I am fully aware of what happens, it just that seems the generic phrase to describe it, but yes it is the increased cylinder pressure which is what causes the problem.

Martin

Originally Posted by Dalek
Is it a 123tune you are looking at ?
I have one fitted to my anglia (pre xflow), the 123tune is different from the normal 123 dizzy with the dip switches to change the advance curve. The 123 tune is proper mappable igniton (ecu) within the dizzy body.

You can have 2 maps etc etc

google it

Best thing i have fitted to my car.

Craig
Yes, but your Anglia would have had breakered ignition, with management our ignition is already mapped.

Martin
Old 14-06-2013 | 07:00 AM
Cossiemainful

thanks for your replies. it says that the coil must not weaker than the standard one. And something important with low-ohm.

but for now, I will replace the ignition parts with genuine ones resp. with a Group A coil as planned.

If I consider an update then to WS.
Old 14-06-2013 | 03:07 PM
Dalek
Insert witty remark here

Yes, but your Anglia would have had breakered ignition,
Well yes, the anglia was release to the public in 1959.... so yes you are correct.

with management our ignition is already mapped.

Martin
I wasn't talking about your management ?

Nobody could do me a dizzy with the correct map to suit my engine that why i went for the 123tune so it could be mapped it to suit the spec of the engine.

There is now a pinto version of the 123tune available if you want the original "look" of a distributor and also want managed ignition.

Craig