General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

fuel regulators

Search this Thread

Old 26-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Xr4Timo
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel regulators

got a question about fuel regulators. I cant find the right info i need, possibly becouse i dont understand it that well, but, i'm building a 2.8 turbo EFI, and i need an adjustable fuel regulator suitable for turbo use, possibly with a gauge to see the pressure. ive see many regulators, but i have no idea what to choose. someone gave me the idea to use one from a yb, but are they adjustable, and how about the amount of petrol used? i'm trying to build it for 275 hp, my turbo can flow 325 ish (t3 super 60), so i dont have huge injectors and such. you guys are on the fire i suppose, so, anyone has an idea? i'm on a budget, so i cant spent a fortune on a regulator, but i see so many i dont even know where to start!

cheers

Timo
Old 27-05-2013, 04:27 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

If you're on a budget and the engine is EFI and already has a vac referenced regulator, then just use it.

You do not need anything fancy, nor does it need to be adjustable.
Old 28-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Xr4Timo

hi stevie,

i'm going for an aftermarket ECU, not that tight on budget, but becouse the pistons are the "weak" point, i want to be able to finetune the fuel pressure. ive got all 2.8 efi parts loose, self building my loom (just becouse i can), and i'll need to plumb in the injection also, but i dont have a fuel pressure regulator yet, so i'm on the source of getting one, but dont have any idea where to get one, and what to get! i cant really find if a cossie one is adjustable, it is for a turbo engine tough, so finding me an adjustable one for a cossie would be fine?

you think you have everyting sorted, pistons, rods, bearings, all the small engine parts, but you keep finding parts you still need, and cossie owners are the best source for cheapish parts, they upgrade, while the lowest stage from standard is enough for my engine, so i've got cossie injectors, cossie intercooler, cossie mapsensor, those kind of parts are just fine for my engine.

so, is a cossie fuel pressure regulator adjustable? if so, ill ask my cossie part guy if he haves one!

Cheers!
Old 28-05-2013, 03:32 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

If you have a programmable fuel computer, then you have all the control over fuel delivery you need. An adjustable regulator is way down the list of things you need.

A standard 2wd Cossie has hosetail fittings and is adjustable, But you DO NOT need an adjustable regulator.

Are you saying you have no efi parts whatsoever ? No injectors, fuel rails, etc etc ?

the standard regulator fitted to your engine/rails will be all you need.
Old 28-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Xr4Timo

i have manifold, injectors, fuel rail, but no regulator, so i need one. if i use a cossie one i'm okay? the car is an Xr4i, mfi base, gonna rebuilt it to 2.8 EFI using a 2.8 scorpio/granada EFI inlet and such, but i do need bigger injectors and such, so i found those already. i use something like megasquirt, and i should be able to control the injectors in many ways, even sequential firing so to say, so a cossie one is okay? I just cant find if a non turbo version works as good as a turbo version. i can buy a stock cossie one for a few quid, and i have to replumb all the fuel lines under the bonnet, so i'm thinking of using braided hose and good fittings to do that, just to make the installation better than stock, and also a bit neather than stock. i'm not on a very tight budget, but i cant afford to invest hunderds of quid on a fuel regulator, and i want to be sure i have one that does the right thing instead of possibly destroying my engine becouse the regulator cant handle pressure instead of vacuum or something stupid like that!

cheers
Old 28-05-2013, 10:28 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

If the regulator has a reference to the intake manifold, which 99% do then it will be perfectly usable.

If you can get a 2wd Cossie one cheap, then it will be ideal

I personally hate braided lines, but that's just me. Any good quality rubber efi line and suitable hose clips will work perfectly well.

Ive no idea what sort of fittings your fuel rail will have though to say how easy that will be. Most EFI setups have their regulator mounted on the rails...so that task is generally very simple. Just use it as is !.
Old 29-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Xr4Timo

it has two push on hose fittings (pillars?), using a rubber hose to the fuel pressure regulator would be okay than, the braided hoses look better, but will be almost only neath with aeroquip fittings, and they are expensive, if i use good rubber hose it will look equally as good i think. my boost hoses, and water hoses are black also, like my ic and rad. ill mock it up first, have my heads and intake almost done for the flow bench, so i'll have to fit my injectors and see how it all comes together!

cheers mate! i'll use a ECU a mate of mine is developing, he's a tru automotive wizard, and knows everything about sequential injection, ignition and lamda thingies, it's gonna be something like megasquirt!

Timo