General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

New car golf gt tdi

Search this Thread

Old 17-03-2013, 06:23 PM
dean richardson
Part of the Furniture

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New car golf gt tdi

Now then chaps just got new car for running about in while the series 1 is getting done .

It's a golf gt tdi anniversary model 150 Bhp has any body got 1 or can any body shed some light on them for reliability heard good things and heard bad things about them its just had new garret turbo on it and I am going to put a cam belt kit on it next weekend to be on the safe side
Old 17-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

What mk golf is it.
Old 17-03-2013, 06:35 PM
dean richardson
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Glenn_
What mk golf is it.
Mk4 its 52 reg mate
Old 17-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I havent heard much about them.I know the mk5 tdi.s have a few problems with them.
Old 17-03-2013, 06:42 PM
dean richardson
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Glenn_
I havent heard much about them.I know the mk5 tdi.s have a few problems with them.
I will have to have a hunt about on the net just thought if some 1 new out on here and could shed some light .. I like it but I just don't want to find out that there prone for loads of problems cheers any way buddy
Old 17-03-2013, 07:19 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

same issues as the bora's, which i have.
MAF's fail, turbo's clog (vanes, but not in your case), EGR gets sooty and can block causing the valve to stay open and lose power.
for me i had the intercooler fail, the end tanks split from the core and lose power, limp home mode, smoky.
they remap well, but dmf's will fail in time, smf's are cheap enough in kit form and don't make them much noisier, not the most refined engine anyhow.
good engines by all other accounts though, cracking on juice and pull very well.
Old 17-03-2013, 07:33 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xr2wishy
same issues as the bora's, which i have.
MAF's fail, turbo's clog (vanes, but not in your case), EGR gets sooty and can block causing the valve to stay open and lose power.
for me i had the intercooler fail, the end tanks split from the core and lose power, limp home mode, smoky.
they remap well, but dmf's will fail in time, smf's are cheap enough in kit form and don't make them much noisier, not the most refined engine anyhow.
good engines by all other accounts though, cracking on juice and pull very well.
That sounds like every single issue i probably i have with mine as it's lucky to pull 35mpg urban 40-45 on a long run and 40mpg in the on the M-Way - needs a good good internal service with the inlet off, egr cleaned and vanes as it goes in to limp mode on the motorway but clears after a good hammering

Trending Topics

Old 17-03-2013, 07:41 PM
DAN400
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

id a gt tdi 130 golf for 5 years and the only time i ever put a spanner on it was to service it,
them 150 s sound like alot of work/hassle
Old 17-03-2013, 07:46 PM
dean richardson
Part of the Furniture

Jesus what have I bought here haha think I might sell it on .. Was just about to order some coil overs for it but might put it off now and run it as it is cheers for the advice people much appreciated
Old 17-03-2013, 08:16 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

with the cutting out and smoke, i'd start with the intercooler, bumper off on one side and then washer bottle out, undo hoses and drop it out. fill with water, if it leaks and not out of the in/out holes it's fecked.
i was very surprised the egr wasn't too bad and turbo was quite good for 140k, cleaned it out all the same whilst i was at it.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:19 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Originally Posted by BRAMMER
That sounds like every single issue i probably i have with mine as it's lucky to pull 35mpg urban 40-45 on a long run and 40mpg in the on the M-Way - needs a good good internal service with the inlet off, egr cleaned and vanes as it goes in to limp mode on the motorway but clears after a good hammering
i bet it goes into limp mode when on cruise, boost loss as the readings are inconsistent with the tables as it draws in un-metered air off boost and meters more air than is reaching engine on boost and ends up smoky.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:20 PM
dean richardson
Part of the Furniture

with the cutting out and smoke, i'd start with the intercooler, bumper off on one side and then washer bottle out, undo hoses and drop it out. fill with water, if it leaks and not out of the in/out holes it's fecked.
i was very surprised the egr wasn't too bad and turbo was quite good for 140k, cleaned it out all the same whilst i was at it.
Mine is running mint at the minute had aload of new parts put on it just hoping its going to be fine I sold a nice reliable civic type r for it and don't no if I have done the wrong thing
Old 17-03-2013, 08:22 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 434 Likes on 392 Posts

My old man has just got a 2008 seat lean 1.9 tdi with 33 thousand on the clock hope it dose him well lol
A work mate of mine had an octavia with the same engine that did just under 180 thousand with no real problems
Old 17-03-2013, 08:24 PM
dean richardson
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by ajamesc
My old man has just got a 2008 seat lean 1.9 tdi with 33 thousand on the clock hope it dose him well lol
A work mate of mine had an octavia with the same engine that did just under 180 thousand with no real problems
Am sure it will be fine ( your dads) my mate has a Leon and its a mint car never had any issues with it
Old 17-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Seriesonersturbowady
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there mate, to be fair the Golf PD 150 is a great all rounder, I have bought 2 for the mrs over the years, 1 was a pig, what broke- DMF, Turbo, Clutch, smokey engine when repaired, nightmare, paid top money for it luckily from a dealer. But all the same it was a bad egg. Not been serviced correctly and I think at some point did not have Correct PD 4w 40 fs oil used, this wanked turbo and smokey engine. How ever

The one we had most recently- sold last week - had 140,000 miles ok the clock, started and ran like a new golf, pulled very hard, was quiet and was just lovely to drive. Car was standard completely and had full vag service history and had a new Genuine Garret turbo and clutch prior to me buying it.

In summery they are great if they have had a good life and have been warmed correctly and serviced correctly. If not there trouble and expensive to fix and very complex to repair. I have also had a 140 2.0 a line A3
With turbo failure, and injector issues. There all good the VAG vehicles but need attention to servicing for sure. I would never personally
Bother with one unless I new its history

Jason
Old 17-03-2013, 08:53 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

the golf will be fine, having solved many a problem and been pro-active i'm not too worried about the next 50k miles now.
i do feel more tuned into the car now though, so learned more about running issues than before hand.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:55 PM
oriurbo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I loved my gt tdi it was great they run for ever ( if serviced/maintained regular ) mega mpg and quick too i had a 130 re mapped to 150 i would def have another
Old 17-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Seriesonersturbowady
Part of the Furniture

i bet it goes into limp mode when on cruise, boost loss as the readings are inconsistent with the tables as it draws in un-metered air off boost and meters more air than is reaching engine on boost and ends up smoky.
Limp home mode is only triggered when, 1 - over boost is detected, normally because of clogged veins, or turbo faliure die to bearings is imminent, I ignored
Mine for 3 months and boom, lots of bits of turbo in inlet and intercooler, don't ignore it and keep driving, have it cleaned at very least or replaced is my advice. Also does it sound noisy on spool up and then at idle when warm?
Old 17-03-2013, 08:58 PM
dean richardson
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Seriesonersturbowady
Hi there mate, to be fair the Golf PD 150 is a great all rounder, I have bought 2 for the mrs over the years, 1 was a pig, what broke- DMF, Turbo, Clutch, smokey engine when repaired, nightmare, paid top money for it luckily from a dealer. But all the same it was a bad egg. Not been serviced correctly and I think at some point did not have Correct PD 4w 40 fs oil used, this wanked turbo and smokey engine. How ever

The one we had most recently- sold last week - had 140,000 miles ok the clock, started and ran like a new golf, pulled very hard, was quiet and was just lovely to drive. Car was standard completely and had full vag service history and had a new Genuine Garret turbo and clutch prior to me buying it.

In summery they are great if they have had a good life and have been warmed correctly and serviced correctly. If not there trouble and expensive to fix and very complex to repair. I have also had a 140 2.0 a line A3
With turbo failure, and injector issues. There all good the VAG vehicles but need attention to servicing for sure. I would never personally
Bother with one unless I new its history

Jason
Thanks mate that's top notch advice and just what I wanted to no cheers mine has had new garret turbo . It's dont smoke rattle or out its not standard has a miltek exhaust on it .. Like I say I am going to have a good look round it next weekend when I have time going to fit new cam belt kit on it . It's just had aload of new bits on it and has a folder full of receipts and stuff with it just hope when I dive deep it don't turn out to be a rotten egg
Old 17-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Seriesonersturbowady
Part of the Furniture

Should be good mate, there great cars when working well, performance wise from a diesel take some beating. Blank the egr valve, this stops all the spot and crap re entering the intake and eventually ruining the turbo. There available on b gay.
Old 17-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Rs fruitbat
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

I had a gttdi I bought it with 130k on the clock, low owners and full vw service history, nothing but hassle from day one , egr valve, maf sensor,turbo ect it used to go in limp mode at least twice a week ,I persevered with it for a year and sorted one problem after the other ,nightmare of a car I was glad too see the back of it , on a plus side nice comfortable interior and pulled very well when it wasn't going in limp mode
Old 17-03-2013, 09:13 PM
dean richardson
Part of the Furniture

Should be good mate, there great cars when working well, performance wise from a diesel take some beating. Blank the egr valve, this stops all the spot and crap re entering the intake and eventually ruining the turbo. There available on b gay.
It's already got a blanking plate over it mate the lad did it when he fitted the new turbo so that's a bonus
Old 17-03-2013, 09:13 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Limp home mode is only triggered when, 1 - over boost is detected, normally because of clogged veins, or turbo faliure die to bearings is imminent, I ignored
Mine for 3 months and boom, lots of bits of turbo in inlet and intercooler, don't ignore it and keep driving, have it cleaned at very least or replaced is my advice. Also does it sound noisy on spool up and then at idle when warm?
well, funny one really, i had mine remapped after just four days, was always a bit smoky.
then it started to cut out about a year later, always a bit loud in respect to turbo whistle.
that's when it cut out, but never on boost/load, always on cruise, turbo wasn't particularly sooty, but had it ultrasonically cleaned since i had it out any-ways (and i snapped two tiny bolts on the inside ).
i did the turbo, replaced maf, cleaned egr and all that made it better in each task completed, but didn't solve the cutting out. sorted the inter-cooler and been mint since, better on fuel, faster and just all round the best it's ever been.
Old 17-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Seriesonersturbowady
Part of the Furniture

well, funny one really, i had mine remapped after just four days, was always a bit smoky.
then it started to cut out about a year later, always a bit loud in respect to turbo whistle.
that's when it cut out, but never on boost/load, always on cruise, turbo wasn't particularly sooty, but had it ultrasonically cleaned since i had it out any-ways (and i snapped two tiny bolts on the inside ).
i did the turbo, replaced maf, cleaned egr and all that made it better in each task completed, but didn't solve the cutting out. sorted the inter-cooler and been mint since, better on fuel, faster and just all round the best it's ever been.
Sounds about right. By impeller housing bolt un did,
The shaft snapped and hundreds of bits of turbo at about 4500 rpm made there way to the engine, I shut of just in time. Used 5 gallons of gun wash to clean everything out intercooler and pipes, new turbo fitted, best it ever ran, clean and smooth.
Old 18-03-2013, 07:20 AM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Good cars, I had one for a few years, it needed a few bits doing but what car dosnt..
Best bet is to run a bottle of Forte diesel treatment through it every couple of months, that helps lower carbon build up that effect the turbo and EGR.
Mine was 200bhp with coilovers, 18's and Whiteline rear anti roll bar, good all round car.
Old 18-03-2013, 08:39 AM
turbo_3dr_tommy
Advanced PassionFord User

had my GTTDi pd150 for over 2 years with no problems at all, its been a great car and done 40k trouble free miles all i have had done is service and cam belt in that time but I'm selling up now as want something a bit newer