General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Big Thanks to Newcastle Council for their victimisation of local business

Search this Thread

Old 16-02-2013, 01:14 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Council bods are generally total and utter cunts when it comes to shit like this.
I'll never forget one Xmas about 3 years ago 3 fake tanned dolly birds sitting in a yaris photographing all the boys coming into the scrappy just incase any of them didn't have a waste carriers licence.
Merry fucking Xmas!!!
I wonder if you put them on trailers would the same rules still apply?
I'd doubt it.
Just got off from a £400 from dvla attempting to prosecute me for not putting a car on the MID database even though I produced a trade insurance certificate,evidence the car was taxed the day of the alleged offence they still pushed it for nearly a year to court.
Stood there for 30 seconds while he confirmed it was on the mid database.
It wasn't,I put it on about 3 months afterwards ,it's just the dvla backing down as the loophole is that a car MUST be insured to tax it,therefore I must have had insurance regardless of what mid say.
Fucking nonsense,I'm not joking though in saying that there were over 500 cases being heard solely by the dvla that day,who incidently now have a permanent solicitor based in Swansea magistrates court.
Wankers sent me a letter telling me I didn't have to attend......

On the day I was attending!!!!
Old 16-02-2013, 03:48 AM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Dump a scrapper to block the entrance to their car park Monday morning.
Old 16-02-2013, 04:16 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Shit news Tony turbo.
Old 16-02-2013, 06:32 AM
sidewaysdave
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

A friend of mine was working on a sales car and it was clamped by dvla so the owner came and cut the clamp off once car was fixed and sold the new owner tried to tax it and couldn't due to the clamp being cut off the car ended up being broken for parts as dvla had made the car untaxible
Old 16-02-2013, 06:49 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

What you have to appreciate is that the dvla you send paperwork to for tax and shit like that is in Wales

And the folks at the late licensing penalty office are somewhere in Newcastle

And even if the welsh confirm that the magpies are in the wrong, until you produce a welsh letter dated before the magpies letters you get fucked in the arse when it comes to tax and sorn issues

I produced a confirmation letter from the dvla to show that I had indeed sorned my car but because it wasn't the official "we have recieved your sorn here is a letter saying so" bit if paper they don't back down and it goes to court

And this was on a vehicle is scrapped 3 years previously

So make sure you keep all the paperwork
Old 16-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

here's a link Botters that may help you https://www.gov.uk/register-sorn-sta...d-notification
I still find it unclear

Last edited by Turbosystems; 16-02-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 16-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigchez

Sorry Tony, it seems you've maybe been made an example of but the law is the law.
If the law is wrong it doesn't mean it (morally) right. That is what the police said when the siezed my car.... when they couldn't be bothered to to the correct checks I was £180 out of pocket for months. never got an apology too.

Lots of these laws are brought in with out any votes in parliament and penalize many law abiding citizens to try to stop the few getting away with crime. The sorn thing was to stop road tax evasion. The newer must be insured if its taxed law is to prevent uninsured drivers, but law abiding car hobbyists get it in the neck!

The politicians (snollygosters) need to start doing their job properly by drafting better more well framed regulations. Oh and stop interfering in all our lives when we aren't doing wrong and or upsetting others! they need to understand the difference between spirit of the law and letter of the law!

makes me want to emigrate!
Old 16-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

After re reading it seems a bad situation Jesus Christ no win situation !
Old 16-02-2013, 10:40 AM
trigger-
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by botters
one of the dvla guys tried telling me they knew the clamps were still on the same street as they have gps on them, made me laugh as they were all in a renault scenic i had weighed in at scrapyard lol
Best place for a Renault Scenic
Old 16-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

here's a pasted section from the dvla
If you’re a motor trader

"Motor traders don’t need to make a SORN on a vehicle if all the following apply:

it’s only temporarily in your possession (until you sell it)
it’s being kept off the road (except to and from a licensed station for a pre-arranged MOT, vehicle identity check, or weight or emissions test)
it’s being taxed
You’re a motor trader for SORN purposes if you’re a:

motor dealer
motor auctioneer
vehicle dismantler
vehicle insurer looking after a vehicle while a claim is being settled
finance company licensed to temporarily hold a vehicle following an order for repossession"

From reading that I can't see where and why they had any legal right to clamp them and fleece me
Old 16-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So lets see if i get this right. Its wasn't the pikey's who got your car but the DVLA? The UK is getting stranger by the day.
Old 16-02-2013, 10:09 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

I assume you have spoken to a solicitor re the theft ?

IMO car thieves no matter what veil they hide behind all deserve the same thing. Fucking shot.

Taking without the owners consent is theft. It is worded that way quite specifically by the law. And the people that stole those cars has done exactly that ! How the police let it happen is unbelievable.

Maybe if we're lucky, North Korea will set off a few nukes and take over the world....it'll be a freer place for us then !
Old 17-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Brendan
struggling with reality

This is why we are all going out of business... stupidly applied regulations which seems specifically designed to scr*w small businesses!
Old 17-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Rs Gus
impreza wrx sti version 8

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

jeez thats shit tony
Old 17-02-2013, 01:01 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Typical I'm afraid, you have money & a fixed address so you are worth chasing for as much as they can get. If you are a pikey cunt or illegal immigrant, or a dole dossing scum bag, or a career criminal then you would be left alone to do whatever you want, as the police have no interest in you & the courts can't make money out of you.

I can see in the future no one voting in the elections as everyone is sick to the back teeth of lying incompetent morons in all areas of public office..

As for people saying rules is rules, whatever happened to common sense?
Old 17-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

do we still have to sorn them annually or just once now
Old 17-02-2013, 01:49 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Annually, more chance of you slipping up & incurring a fine then
Old 17-02-2013, 01:59 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

aint declared my gsi off road for about 3 years now never had a reminder to do it either
Old 17-02-2013, 02:04 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Sorn dose run out after a while and you have to re sorn things!
Are they all your cars then because if there customers cars they must of had letters saying the tax needs renewing!
I left taxing my merc till late in January as the tax ran out end of December and I spent loads over Christmas and I got a final reminder in the post!
Old 17-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

My gripe is the council called the dvla and they were both in my side yard /car park
which is only fenced on three sides it will be fenced off on 4 on monday
According to the dvla guy had they been parked in front of my unit they wouldn't have taken them
work that out batman
They chose these 2 from my land non of the others outside the other 2 garages
Old 17-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Sounds like youve upset one of youre nieghbours or someone whos a cunt has it in for you and taken it up with the council and DVLA.

That's heavy handed even for round here

Thing i dont get is, if your carpark is private land and considered "accessable to the public" and hence they can use that bullshit excuse to seize your car, then why cant they sieze untaxed cars off peoples drives if theres no gates?? after all said drives are "accessable to the public".

Have you upset the council over business rates or similar?? sounds like the sort of cunts trick they would pull if you upset them over something like that. Ie the valuation assessor would be annoyed and conveniently notice untaxed cars on the property and note it down to grass you up.

Originally Posted by Brendan
This is why we are all going out of business... stupidly applied regulations which seems specifically designed to scr*w small businesses!
Screwing the small business' isnt the intent. making money is the intent, the rules just happen to be such that they screw certain groups over more than others.
Old 17-02-2013, 03:52 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Turbosystems
do we still have to sorn them annually or just once now
SORN lasts for 12 months, or until the vehicle changes hands ( or is retaxed obviously )
Old 17-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Default my psychiatrist says I am special ?

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
Sounds like youve upset one of youre nieghbours or someone whos a cunt has it in for you and taken it up with the council and DVLA.

That's heavy handed even for round here

Thing i dont get is, if your carpark is private land and considered "accessable to the public" and hence they can use that bullshit excuse to seize your car, then why cant they sieze untaxed cars off peoples drives if theres no gates?? after all said drives are "accessable to the public".

Have you upset the council over business rates or similar?? sounds like the sort of cunts trick they would pull if you upset them over something like that. Ie the valuation assessor would be annoyed and conveniently notice untaxed cars on the property and note it down to grass you up.

Screwing the small business' isnt the intent. making money is the intent, the rules just happen to be such that they screw certain groups over more than others.
"just happen" to be set up to scr3w small businsess when tax is optional for starbucks? who are you kidding? next you will be telling me you are a realy cute blond?

Old 17-02-2013, 04:16 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

When it comes to taxation. The government will do everything in their power to screw those trying to earn a legitimate living.

If you're a dirty sponging cunt who's never worked a day in their life, has 50 children, free houses, hypochondriac always bleeding the NHS dry etc etc....then the government do fuck all except throw OUR money at them to spend on fegs and booze, as well as widescreen TV's, SKY iphones etc

It really is a complete and utter joke, except there's nothing funny about it. Drives me mad.
Old 17-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Warren
apparently the council have been having a big purge flexing their new powers in the area
one wouldn't have thought the laws weren't intended to take cars from garages
I haven't had a car parked in my side yard for months one of the other garages fills all the parking spaces including mine
So I suppose he may have attracted the interests of our helpful cuntcil
I shall be removing the number plates from now on if I have to park anything that isn't taxed in MY car park

Last edited by Turbosystems; 17-02-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 17-02-2013, 06:42 PM
R-A-J
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easier said than done for the motor trade as technically they can't sorn a trade registered car
It's purely another tax all they wanted was some money from us and off they all went £260 per car and off they went
IMO they are exploiting a loop hole in their own shite legislation which will in time be corrected with no refunds given
Was going to say your own fault for not sorning them but didnt realise the trader reg thing. Bit of a pain in the arse that mate, it just seems that the people trying to make a living legit are the ones who are given the most hoopes to jump through. Good reason why GB is becoming weaker and weaker. Feel for you mate, hope all gets sorted, the police raided a pub next to my unit late the other week, I went outside to see what was going on and they were total arses with me, bit off topic but they really have no idea how to deal with the public. We are all numbers and collars, just point scoring as far as im concerned instead of doing their job properly
Old 17-02-2013, 07:04 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Warren
apparently the council have been having a big purge flexing their new powers in the area
one wouldn't have thought the laws weren't intended to take cars from garages
I haven't had a car parked in my side yard for months one of the other garages fills all the parking spaces including mine
So I suppose he may have attracted the interests of our helpful cuntcil
I shall be removing the number plates from now on if I have to park anything that isn't taxed in MY car park
Surely removing the plates would just give them more reason to attempt to steal the cars ?

This scenario really is baffling, even makes me furious !
Old 17-02-2013, 07:20 PM
MrC
Advanced PassionFord User

Saw an advert on gumtree for a bloke and his travelling family to offer free security for a plot of land to stay on for free lol, let try it then when real pikeys turn up and kick shit out of em in front of you and disappear. The you can stand there with a smug face while their faces ate getting scraped up from the road lol
Old 18-02-2013, 08:38 PM
NC53
Regular Contributor

Turbosystems - that guidance makes no sense at all. What does 'it's being taxed' mean? I would forget the guidance and look at the legislation itself which is the only way to get to the bottom of what is actually required.

Also, if you are putting up a fence, make sure you don't need planning permission to do so. Normally, you can erect a 2m high fence as long as it does not front a vehicular highway. If it is next to a vehicular highway, then it can only be 1m. Best to check as you don't want to give the Council something else to have a go at you about.