General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mk1 focus Rs

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM
steve_o
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk1 focus Rs

I'm looking at getting a mk1 focus rs soon, but I'm amazed at the amount of mk1's on eBay etc that are either cat d or c write offs repaired, or breaking for spares! I know they only made 4501 of them but there must be hardly any genuine ones left with the amount being broken up or previously damaged, what do people do with these cars?? At this rate there won't be any left in another 10 years! Stop killing them people! That is all.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:04 PM
msdavenport91

The more that get damaged/ broken the more the remaining few are worth .

However.. its never good to see 'another' being broken.

Mark.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:07 PM
steve_o

True, but I don't want to be payingassive money for one because they are so rare from people writing them off, ever since they were first released when I was an apprentice I always wanted one, just such a shame to see so many gone already :-(
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The reason there are so many Cat C and D is because of the price of the body panels. Wings at over £600 each, front bumper £100, arch liners £350 each. Soon mounts up.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by Nash
The reason there are so many Cat C and D is because of the price of the body panels. Wings at over £600 each, front bumper £100, arch liners £350 each. Soon mounts up.
Wow cant get over the prices.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

One thing ive always wanted to know about the mk1 focus rs is why they never had a heated front windscreen,or was it an option.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 PM
mattcroft
Part of the Furniture

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy one and look after it! I'm hoping for a day without rain to take the frs for a drive.

Trending Topics

Old 05-01-2013, 01:12 AM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_
One thing ive always wanted to know about the mk1 focus rs is why they never had a heated front windscreen,or was it an option.
Not even an option Glenn - none of them have it.
Originally Posted by mattcroft
Just buy one and look after it! I'm hoping for a day without rain to take the frs for a drive.
I know the feeling mate, can't wait for some decent weather and longer days (well more daylight hours anyway).
Old 05-01-2013, 04:27 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Its only water matey.Just give the car a wash when you have finished using it.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:29 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by STAFFY OWNER
Not even an option Glenn - none of them have it.
I wonder why.I just think its mad caise the ST170 had a better spec lol.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_o
True, but I don't want to be payingassive money for one because they are so rare from people writing them off, ever since they were first released when I was an apprentice I always wanted one, just such a shame to see so many gone already :-(
The time is now. Don't be afraid of mileage, mines done 117k now and is still going strong. High miles frs can be had from 5-6k now
Old 05-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ST170 also has a higher insurance group!!!!

As for not using the FRS in the Rain!!!!! PAH... It's awesome in the rain!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 AM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

i love the focus rs but would never pay the price for one. they are overpriced stupidly and always have been. to many people are willing to pay silly prices so the values stay up. if everyone said no i aint paying that then none of them would sell and soon the bargains would be flowing as they would have to drop. my useless theory anyway and just realises its got nothing to do with the topic so as you were lol
Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 AM
danthechippyman69
Virgin

Anybody here know anything about zetec s fiestas? Look at my post wonder if any of you clever guys have any ideas for me. Cheers guys
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Underdog ST170
i love the focus rs but would never pay the price for one. they are overpriced stupidly and always have been. to many people are willing to pay silly prices so the values stay up. if everyone said no i aint paying that then none of them would sell and soon the bargains would be flowing as they would have to drop. my useless theory anyway and just realises its got nothing to do with the topic so as you were lol
Typical st owner....
Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

What happens to it if it rains ? Does it melt ?

It's a car.. They can handle rain !!!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:37 PM
frs3150

You can pick them up for 5-6k now, hell of a lot of car for the money, can mod a standard One to run 300bhp for a further 1- 1.5k , I moved onto a frs after owning an st170 for a year, handled really well but was gutless needed a turbo imo, final straw came after being embarased by a diesel astra! Chopped it in the next day for an rs that I had for 5 years.Still miss it and would have another on a heart beat.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Alot of car for 5to6 grand imo.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:39 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Have you ever driven one? I've been driving mine for about a month and it was worth every penny.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:17 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I should of got one instead of my 3dr cossie

I might still get one after i have finished the resto on it. Still can't find the real love i thought it would give me

Steve
Old 05-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Westy
What happens to it if it rains ? Does it melt ?

It's a car.. They can handle rain !!!
Have you not seen most frs that get used as a car It's almost like ford went hunting for the same metal that Alfa Romeo and Datsun used back in the 80's
Old 05-01-2013, 05:18 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

dont get me wrong id love one but i think the prices are inflated. yes i have the poor version in the 170 and this is not because i couldnt afford an rs its because i wont pay for one.

iv always been a ford man and as i teenager i dreamed of owning a saph cos. when i was 22 i was lucky enough to buy one but like the rs focus now i bought it at silly inflated prices for its age and the car was never worth it. i had it 3 yrs and had great fun and spent a lot of money on it. but when i sold it i thought never again will i pay over the top prices.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:19 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

dont get me wrong id love one but i think the prices are inflated. yes i have the poor version in the 170 and this is not because i couldnt afford an rs its because i wont pay for one.

iv always been a ford man and as i teenager i dreamed of owning a saph cos. when i was 22 i was lucky enough to buy one but like the rs focus now i bought it at silly inflated prices for its age and the car was never worth it. i had it 3 yrs and had great fun and spent a lot of money on it. but when i sold it i thought never again will i pay over the top prices.
remember that buying it at inflated prices you can also sell it at inflated prices,i very much doubt that youll find another car in its class that can lose so little in depreciation. your st will prb be worth half as much next year as it is this year but an rs wouldnt lose that much in a year.i bought mine with 65k for 10.5k nearly 3 years ago,now on 82k and would prob get 8-8.5k back,not bad depreciation for 3 years ownership. with the mods i have by breaking it i can get over 10k back.so get nearly all my money back 3-4 year later.,theyve pretty much hit rock bottom and the good ones will just go back up in price.

Last edited by JamboRS; 05-01-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 PM
raymond dobbie
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted a low mileage one for ages got one and did not think much of it then sold it 4 weeks later so I would not bother with one
Old 05-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You can say there overpriced but that would cover nearly every RS ever made if your going off that.

The reason they didn't fit one was because they were already way over budget for each car, they lost money on everyone sold.

Mines done 93k and its solid underneath. They can suffer from rot under the wing mirrors and boot trim due to it rubbing though the paint. Also the bottom of the boot is another spot, mine has the latter but its an easy enough fix. There's always going to be ones with rust, it just depends on where its spent most of its life, how its been treated, and how much salt it's been driven in.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by JamboRS
remember that buying it at inflated prices you can also sell it at inflated prices,i very much doubt that youll find another car in its class that can lose so little in depreciation. your st will prb be worth half as much next year as it is this year but an rs wouldnt lose that much in a year.i bought mine with 65k for 10.5k nearly 3 years ago,now on 82k and would prob get 8-8.5k back,not bad depreciation for 3 years ownership. with the mods i have by breaking it i can get over 10k back.so get nearly all my money back 3-4 year later.,theyve pretty much hit rock bottom and the good ones will just go back up in price.

i got my st170 that im turning into a track car for 550 and for that money its a minter. it will get crushed by a rs tho i know but budget fun doesnt come any better.

my other 170 iv had since new nearly 8 yrs ago and yes they deppreciate bad thats why i aint selling it. but i paid 12900 new off the forecourt which was half the price of a rs.
im an old git now and iv got tight with age and learned a few lessons but i still love fords and i love the looks of a rs and every other rs made but il prob never own another,
Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

also when i sold my saph they were selling for around 5 to 6 k going back 12 yrs ago. i put mine up fairly priced at 4600 and the phone didnt even ring. in the end i gave it away for 3600 because no one was interested. no one even came to see it so lost loads on it
Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Then buy one mate. Sometimes you have to pay more for the things you want. Going on your logic you would have to buy budget cereals, budget baked beans, budget pies, budget biscuits and everything else that supermarkets do their own budget range of even though they may not be as good as the premium brands (although not in every case lol). I know that comparison may sound a bit daft but virtually everything that we buy as consumers is available cheaper if you don't buy the goods that you actually want.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by STAFFY OWNER
Then buy one mate. Sometimes you have to pay more for the things you want. Going on your logic you would have to buy budget cereals, budget baked beans, budget pies, budget biscuits and everything else that supermarkets do their own budget range of even though they may not be as good as the premium brands (although not in every case lol). I know that comparison may sound a bit daft but virtually everything that we buy as consumers is available cheaper if you don't buy the goods that you actually want.

sounds like you been following me around tesco lol. just ignore my rants now
Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

PMSL at FRS being over priced..

What are ST170's then - slow, over priced, thirsty, slow and expensive to insure compared to every other Focus.

I own and FRS and owned an ST170 so am actually qualified to comment.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by Shings
PMSL at FRS being over priced..

What are ST170's then - slow, over priced, thirsty, slow and expensive to insure compared to every other Focus.

I own and FRS and owned an ST170 so am actually qualified to comment.

170 are slow but not overpriced.ive got 2 and they are not anymore thirsty than any other 2.0. just to clear it up the focus mk1 rs is a better car than the 170 in every way possible i agree. but you mugs are keeping the high prices up there. i payed 550 for my silver 170 on a 53 plate with 108k.

so what would an equivelent rs cost. same age same milage same condition probably 6 to 8k.

no chance on earth is an rs worth 12 to 16 times the price of a 170. wake up mun
Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

sounds like you been following me around tesco lol. just ignore my rants now
Keep looking over your shoulder, i'm the one stalking you in the Mk1 Focus RS T-shirt .
Old 06-01-2013, 12:27 AM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

170 are slow but not overpriced.ive got 2 and they are not anymore thirsty than any other 2.0. just to clear it up the focus mk1 rs is a better car than the 170 in every way possible i agree. but you mugs are keeping the high prices up there. i payed 550 for my silver 170 on a 53 plate with 108k.

so what would an equivelent rs cost. same age same milage same condition probably 6 to 8k.

no chance on earth is an rs worth 12 to 16 times the price of a 170. wake up mun
you comparing your st which you paid buttons for for a low mileage mint rs.
the lowest price st i can find on PH is £1395 with 140k miles,a frs with 140k miles would be a 5k car so hardly 12-16 times the price. more like 3-4 times the price? is it worth 3-4 times as much,imo yes it is,theres also a 30k miles st on PH for £2300,for a 30k miles rs your talking 9-10K,again not 12-16 times the price. like all RS models it demands more,look at the mk2,circa 18k for a 2009,you can pick a 2009 st for for less than 10k.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:02 AM
IanC
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They don't need one the screens clear really quick with out one
Old 06-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice cars but a little to much money imo . Bugs me they dont even come with a temp gauge .
Old 06-01-2013, 08:48 AM
mattcroft
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Harris.
Nice cars but a little to much money imo . Bugs me they dont even come with a temp gauge .
Scangauge, VI screen or equivalent do the trick!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:51 AM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by JamboRS
you comparing your st which you paid buttons for for a low mileage mint rs.
the lowest price st i can find on PH is £1395 with 140k miles,a frs with 140k miles would be a 5k car so hardly 12-16 times the price. more like 3-4 times the price? is it worth 3-4 times as much,imo yes it is,theres also a 30k miles st on PH for £2300,for a 30k miles rs your talking 9-10K,again not 12-16 times the price. like all RS models it demands more,look at the mk2,circa 18k for a 2009,you can pick a 2009 st for for less than 10k.

coming back on here this morning and i expected a war to have happened over my comments last night lol. looks like the RS boys have let me off lightly. phew.

jambo i know what your saying and i was just using an extreme example with my car.

at the end of the day it just comes down to oppinions and were all different and as long as were happy with our own choices then thats all that matters. im gona try and not go on a scrooge rant again so please just gloss over my comments or ignore em

thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 10:57 AM
slammedmk3van
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

i have owned 7 now.. and everyone has been a cat d or c. both i own at the moment are too. my own car ( have 6/7 years) cost me £8k smashed up. dare not think what that owes me now

but that said, dont be put off by a cat d or c.. your'll get a bargain!!