General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Engine conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM
sammy h
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine conversion

Hi all I would like some help and info if poss please

Right I've got a focus mk1 1.8 zetec and I wanted to fit a turbo I read some were that the fiesta 1.8rs turbo fits straight in is this right or not? If not can I use the head and the turbo from that and fit to mine is it possible or not last thing are power boost valves any good??
Any help would be great thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hi fella,they never made a 1.8 rs turbo fiesta fella but if you use the search function on here and select "go advanced" and search "zetec turbo" you'll find a ton of info.

You can use the 1.6 rs turbo head on your zetec block to make a "zvh" conversion but I think this is seen as a bit of a backwards step plus I don't believe it's too hard to put a blower straight on your engine.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:10 PM
sammy h
Virgin

Ok then cheers for that I've just fitted the st170 manifold and straight through pipe feels more responsive to me in all arrears I was also going to but a power boots valve takes it from 1 bar to 2.5 bars and then get it remapped is this any good or wasting my time with that thanks again
Old 09-12-2012, 05:59 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

I don't think powerboost valves will do anything really. A remap will help, won't gain that much power but it should be nice and responsive, that with a good free flowing air filter should make a nice difference.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 PM
sammy h
Virgin

Ok then thanks I did have a induction kit but took it off because it felt like it was taking the power away so I've got a k and n panel filter in it now but want to make it faster then the normal 1.8 zetec is it worth fitting a st170 in it only thing is I've bean told that that are not that good :s
Old 09-12-2012, 07:32 PM
xtatiana01x
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Fitting the turbo is the easy bit, it's the fact you will need an ecu that mappable to make the most of it

To be honest to do a DECENT turbo conversion it will be the best part of 2k plus
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Where's Neil when you need him? He's great when it comes to budget zetec turbos.

Last edited by gjh; 09-12-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:33 PM
sammy h
Virgin

Ok then that's cool I don't really want to spend that much as I think it's a bit much just for a turbo just want to make it faster and most ppl just say turbo it and its not till u look into things u relies how expensive it is lol are the st170 any good as I was told there not much faster then mine??
Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Not really sure if the ST170 is any good, never seem to make anywhere near 170bhp, parkers say 0-60 in 7.9 which is ok, reckon if you are going to do a conversion just get a complete mk1 focus rs engine and swap the lot over, that'll give you over 200bhp and potential for a lot more, and if you can find a crash damaged car you could strip a load of bitsd off it and sell them to get money back.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Tomm
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

I am still very new to all of this and am reading through various articles on the web and have found a few things.

This thread was a massive help to me.

https://passionford.com/forum/ford-e...onversion.html

If you have a read through that you should learn a fair bit.

The most costly part of the conversion as said above will be the mapping and finding a suitable managment system. If i was to go down the route of a zetec turbo I would be looking into the MS1 system and that is mainly because I am familiar with their ignition mapping products which I have been very happy with.

Failing to fit a suitable management set up and have it mapped properly will leave all of your previously completed hard work pretty much useless.

There seems to be a lot of topics regards the zetec turbo conversion so get searching and reading and any questions you are still left with I am sure people will be happy to help.