General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Rip off insurance admin fees.

Search this Thread

Old 29-11-2012, 12:54 AM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Rip off insurance admin fees.

Time to rant. Rang my insurance company to tell them that i need to amend my policy details to change the cover from my Mondeo to my Focus RS, straight away that increases my monthly payment from £19.70 to £38.43 and they charge me a £25 admin fee for the change of vehicle details. The RS is sorn at the moment but i'm taxing it on Friday 30th November at my local tax office to commence on 1st December but obviously it needs to be insured before i can tax it. Whilst i am at the tax office i will be transferring my private plate from the Mondeo to the RS so i will then have to notify the insurance company of the change of number plate and guess what... yes, another £25 admin fee. Bloody insurance company, £50 for bugger all really apart from a few key presses to update my policy.
Can anyone think of a way round this? The problem is that various things regarding the 2 vehicles need changing in a certain order to allow the next stage to happen.
Old 29-11-2012, 01:52 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

nothing you can do. just typical rip off insurance companies.

Way to make extra money end of.
Old 29-11-2012, 03:37 AM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

To be honest. I bet if you rang up, and explained, they'd waiver the second charge. Just be polite. If I have a polite person ring me, they'll get a far better service from me!

If I get told "this is bollocks and disgusting" I state about company policies etc. "sorry, it's out of my hands.."
Old 29-11-2012, 05:56 AM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

its all about the money money moeny
Old 29-11-2012, 06:25 AM
paul-h
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Admiral ftw, no charges to amend or change anything. . . . YET
Old 29-11-2012, 06:35 AM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by paul-h
Admiral ftw, no charges to amend or change anything. . . . YET
you may win on that point with admiral but if you take a driver awareness course to avoid points for minor things they still bump your premium up to the same as if you had points, blatant profiteering
Old 29-11-2012, 06:52 AM
Sausage
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-PD
its all about the money money moeny

Trending Topics

Old 29-11-2012, 07:51 AM
BigChuck
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

can you get someone to tax it on a trade policy for you?

you may be able to change the vehicle and reg plate at the same time, that may only cost you 1 admin fee.
Old 30-11-2012, 12:08 AM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JayCC
To be honest. I bet if you rang up, and explained, they'd waiver the second charge. Just be polite. If I have a polite person ring me, they'll get a far better service from me!

If I get told "this is bollocks and disgusting" I state about company policies etc. "sorry, it's out of my hands.."
That's what i'm hoping mate. I always try to be polite when i'm hoping that someone will help me out as in this case, like you say if i get all snotty with the call handler they will be less likely to want to help me.
Originally Posted by BigChuck
can you get someone to tax it on a trade policy for you?

you may be able to change the vehicle and reg plate at the same time, that may only cost you 1 admin fee.
If both vehicles were already taxed and insured then yes i would have been able to sort it out with one call and one admin fee but because i had to ring the insurance company to set up my insurance before i could tax the Focus and swap the reg plate i've got to ring the insurers for a second time to notify them of the plate change.
Thanks for the suggestions though guys .
Old 30-11-2012, 12:12 AM
alexno1dj
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STAFFY OWNER
That's what i'm hoping mate. I always try to be polite when i'm hoping that someone will help me out as in this case, like you say if i get all snotty with the call handler they will be less likely to want to help me.

If both vehicles were already taxed and insured then yes i would have been able to sort it out with one call and one admin fee but because i had to ring the insurance company to set up my insurance before i could tax the Focus and swap the reg plate i've got to ring the insurers for a second time to notify them of the plate change.
Thanks for the suggestions though guys .
Hang on.. don't insurance companies already make huge profits fro interest on monthly payments and annual policies when people don't make a claim?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 AM
paul-h
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1-PD
you may win on that point with admiral but if you take a driver awareness course to avoid points for minor things they still bump your premium up to the same as if you had points, blatant profiteering
Ill just have to drive like miss daisy from now on knowing that about them, insurance is up for renewal in feb so ill see what happens there.

To say that they have no admin fee's is probably off the mark anyway as every time you change to another car it's a tad more expensive than the last time it was covered during the same policy if that makes sense.

I've switched between my RS Turbo to my mondeo various times throughout my policy.