General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

white smoke n car juddering cold start

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 05:27 AM
studdart76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white smoke n car juddering cold start

Please i need help. i have ford focus zetec climate tdci 2007. I have had it 3 week n had nothing but trouble. i need a proper mechanic not what computer says... when it starts from cold alot of white smoke comes from exhaust then it judders wen driving. this only lasts 10 min until cars warm then drives fine even if turn off engine then start back up. i have had new egr valve and manifold fitted which cost me £550 :-(...plus all new filters and oil but it still persists. it is not losing power or water..there is NO engine management light on so a diagnostic computer will not show out.. can someone pls shed light on this?? has anyone else experienced this sort of problem?? someone thinks could be glow plugs but the engine ticks over fine its just the white smoke and juddering when driving which disappears when put foot down... thankyou pls pls anyone help
Old 12-11-2012, 06:32 AM
Cosnada
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like leaky injectors for the start up. Could be contributing to the poor cold running too. I would be possibly suspecting a split boost hose for the poor running also. Welcome to tdci land lol.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:29 AM
studdart76

Sounds like another expensive fault..orginal computer diaganosis when engine management came on was egr and hoped that once this was replaced it would stop BUT obviously not :-(
Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Cosnada

If it is injectors then you are looking at 800 plus.
Old 23-11-2012, 12:39 AM
studdart76

Took it to ford they diagnosed 4 faulty injectors so u were right £750 had them replaced...BUT same thing is happening white smoke from cold n juddering until cars warmed up?? depressing n baffling. ford want to charge me more for investigating into it more but i said they should investigate it for nothing as they have not fixed the problem by changing the injectors...now got trading standards involved!! having no luck wi this car...any other ideas what might be?? getting timing checked tomorrow.
Old 23-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Cosnada

Originally Posted by studdart76
Took it to ford they diagnosed 4 faulty injectors so u were right £750 had them replaced...BUT same thing is happening white smoke from cold n juddering until cars warmed up?? depressing n baffling. ford want to charge me more for investigating into it more but i said they should investigate it for nothing as they have not fixed the problem by changing the injectors...now got trading standards involved!! having no luck wi this car...any other ideas what might be?? getting timing checked tomorrow.
TBH, we can only best guess as a guide to you due to our own personal experiences. I am sorry to hear that Ford have not fixed your car. This is not uncommon

Ford do not or will not have the correct equipment or skill to properly diagnose these TDCI engines and there many issues. Ford do take the stance of replace, replace, replace instead of methodical detection and elimination.

In all fairness you have a fault code (one of many if the injectors showed up too) that is telling you that the EGR system is at fault. The hesitation when cold is deffinately an EGR type symptom. You need to test the EGR valve and its gas sensor / operating solenoid. I would be removing it and the inlet manifold and giving it all a thorough clean out as a minimum.

Sorry about your bill to date but once EGR sorted - £200 - £250 at an independant (should cover replacement if needed) you should have a decent car for a good few years.

Its a bitter pill but taking on Ford will get you in debt, swallow it, learn from it and move on

Last edited by Cosnada; 23-11-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 23-11-2012, 08:51 AM
studdart76

I had brand new egr valve and full manifold replaced before i took it to ford. so this was done before the injectors? cause thats what come up as original fault code
1st..had egr done
2nd..full engine service all filters and new oil
3rd..4 new injectors
4th.. gettin timing checked now
5th..NO IDEA?? PROB GET RID which is shame cause spent alot on it and like said runs fine when warmed up!!! :angry:
Old 23-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Cosnada

I had brand new egr valve and full manifold replaced before i took it to ford. so this was done before the injectors? cause thats what come up as original fault code
1st..had egr done
2nd..full engine service all filters and new oil
3rd..4 new injectors
4th.. gettin timing checked now
5th..NO IDEA?? PROB GET RID which is shame cause spent alot on it and like said runs fine when warmed up!!! :angry:
It might not be the EGR itself. It could be the sensor / solenoid that operates it. Worth getting checked out. If its not detecting 'sniffing' the correct gasses its expecting then you will get issues. If its 'sniffing' the correct gasses but not activating the solenoid that controls the EGR valve then you will have issues.
Old 23-11-2012, 09:29 AM
studdart76

Thanks for the advice appreciate it..would this sensor/solenoid cause the juddering while cold? It would explain the white smoke.
Old 23-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Cosnada

Thanks for the advice appreciate it..would this sensor/solenoid cause the juddering while cold? It would explain the white smoke.
TBH it needs proper diagnosis to stop you from jst bolting new parts on. The EGR may be fine but it is not getting the correct signals that may be caused by a faulty part, an electrical issue or a vacuum issue all of which manifest as an EGR fault because it is not operating properly.
Old 23-11-2012, 09:59 AM
studdart76

Cheers mate..tell u truth think gonna get rid its a money pit spent to much on it already..my first ford AND last.