General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cosworth engine co2 too high and temp gauge fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:57 PM
justianlewis
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cosworth engine co2 too high and temp gauge fault

Hi I dont know if anyone can help< my son has had his yb cosworth engines head rebuilt the vehicle all runs now but it has gone for an MOT and failed on emmisions, to much co2, it chuffs out black smoke and the plugs are sooted up when removed, have put new plugs in they soot up as well, have put in a new ect sensor but no joy,the temp gauge moves straight up to hot when ignition key is turned on with the engine not hot or running with the old sensor and the new one and with the wires of the sensor all together, this conversion has been put in a van anda very good job but dont know much about them myself, any ideas or what I should be looking at?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

It could be multiple things, firstly do you know the software is correct in relation to the spec?

Best thing is to get it set up really as then you know your AFR etc is correct and gives you piece of mind.

Without knowing the exact van it's fitted to it's hard to say, I should imagine the wiring has shorted to ground, suffice to say it's nothing to do with the engine, that merely has a sender fitted to the head which is the ground for the standard temperature gauge.

The CO is adjustable, but you need a "exhaust gas analyzer" for this, plus this most likely is NOT the problem!

Martin

Last edited by martysmartie; 06-11-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by justianlewis
Hi I dont know if anyone can help< my son has had his yb cosworth engines head rebuilt the vehicle all runs now but it has gone for an MOT and failed on emmisions, to much co2, it chuffs out black smoke and the plugs are sooted up when removed, have put new plugs in they soot up as well, have put in a new ect sensor but no joy,the temp gauge moves straight up to hot when ignition key is turned on with the engine not hot or running with the old sensor and the new one and with the wires of the sensor all together, this conversion has been put in a van anda very good job but dont know much about them myself, any ideas or what I should be looking at?
The water temp sensor that the ecu sees isn't the same one that operates the gauge!