General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

5 years since mcrae died.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:52 PM
liam-rst
shit happens

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 5 years since mcrae died.

Its only just occurred to me that 2 weeks ago it was the 5th anniversary of the death of McRae and I for one can't believe how fast the time had gone, I for one miss the flamboyant driving style of McRae and feel the WRC is a bit stale now days with the brilliant yet boring driving of Loeb winning everything, dont get me wrong his car control is phenomenal but I find the clinical driving style a tad tedious, its just not as good as the McRae, makinnen, gronholm era.
So I would just like to say R.I.P to my boyhood hero Colin McRae and the others that perished with you on that terrible day.

A lil video of why I think he was one of the greatest rally drivers of all time

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=ex6Vufkr2l0
Old 01-10-2012, 03:11 PM
car.crash
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched it. Good shout, here's to McRae and burns.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:25 PM
whizzisat114
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah what a driver he was
R.I.P Coin
Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

5 years wow.Where as that time gone.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Never?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Roscopeco
P8 Managed S1 with ALS

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Those 5 years certainly have gone quick
Old 01-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mental, it was the same female police officer that was dealing with me and workmate 2 days later at our accident that was at his ........ my names Colin too wee bit spooky

R.I.P to a rallying legend
Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Sticky.
20K+ Super Poster.

7 years for Burnsie
Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 PM
wattie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this is my status update from a few weeks ago, caused a stir on face book, more people agreed than disagreed but i stand my ground on what i said

RIP to burnsie tho

"R.I.P Colin Mcrae? no fuck you Colin, R.I.P his five-year-old son Johnny, the boy's six-year-old friend Ben Porcelli and Graeme Duncan, 37. He shouldnt rest in peace he caused the deaths of 3 innocent people because he flew an out of hours under serviced helicopter that he had very few hours experiance on, if i had a car that was in dire need of a service and far to powerfull for me and i took it out, drove like a twat and killed 3 people, 2 of whitch were children would people be on facebook 5 years later sayin R.I.P for me? no they wouldnt, rant over,

im expecting flack over this status but fuck you in advance, just caus he was scottish and when he didnt crash he was a decent rally driver doesnt distract from the fact there were other people on board and noone seems to be remebering them"

Last edited by wattie; 01-10-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Its also sad how no one remebers Micheal "beef" Park.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 PM
liam-rst
shit happens

Ni mate everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is fully aware of the circumstances behind the accident but it was an accident its not like it was intended, im in no way condoning what he did and as I said RIP to them all and I still stand by my previous statement that he's one of the greatest rally drivers of all time, this of course is only my opinion
Old 01-10-2012, 09:17 PM
liam-rst
shit happens

Originally Posted by gjh
park was indeed a legend too as was burns, alot of driving talent lost in a short space of time

Last edited by liam-rst; 01-10-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:12 AM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

RIP McRae, he could do some unreal things with a car
Old 02-10-2012, 06:14 AM
stephenbatey

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wattie
this is my status update from a few weeks ago, caused a stir on face book, more people agreed than disagreed but i stand my ground on what i said

RIP to burnsie tho

"R.I.P Colin Mcrae? no fuck you Colin, R.I.P his five-year-old son Johnny, the boy's six-year-old friend Ben Porcelli and Graeme Duncan, 37. He shouldnt rest in peace he caused the deaths of 3 innocent people because he flew an out of hours under serviced helicopter that he had very few hours experiance on, if i had a car that was in dire need of a service and far to powerfull for me and i took it out, drove like a twat and killed 3 people, 2 of whitch were children would people be on facebook 5 years later sayin R.I.P for me? no they wouldnt, rant over,

im expecting flack over this status but fuck you in advance, just caus he was scottish and when he didnt crash he was a decent rally driver doesnt distract from the fact there were other people on board and noone seems to be remebering them"

Totally agree.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Sticky.
20K+ Super Poster.

RIP to burnsie tho

At last, someone on my wave length, I'd love to shake your hand mate. When the RIP post went up 5 years ago, I put up " it's no great loss". He was arrogant and all he did was cost Fords & Subaru money with the amount of crashes he had. I totally agree, it's the family and the son I feel sorry for.

I await everyone to have ago now.

Originally Posted by gjh
I ain't forgot him, 7 years I've had the Richard Burns Foundation link in my sig and it has Beefy in aswell.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 PM
liam-rst
shit happens

Originally Posted by Sticky.
At last, someone on my wave length, I'd love to shake your hand mate. When the RIP post went up 5 years ago, I put up " it's no great loss". He was arrogant and all he did was cost Fords & Subaru money with the amount of crashes he had. I totally agree, it's the family and the son I feel sorry for.

I ain't forgot him, 7 years I've had the Richard Burns Foundation link in my sig and it has Beefy in aswell.
Like I said mate everyone is entitled to their opinion, but your comment about all he did was cost ford and Subaru money is utter bollox imo, he single handedly propelled Subaru to stardom and I doubt there would be half the amount of imprezas sold if it wasn't for him and he drove the focus in its development years so was never going to be ultra competitive, he had more dnf's in the focus due to failures than he did by going off, what he also did was set the world rally stage alight with some spectacular driving especially from a spectators point of view, which is why we watch rallying isn't it, to be entertained?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 PM
car.crash
Part of the Furniture

Look how many focus and imprezas there are on the road. Cost them money, utter joke.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:49 PM
stevenr
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

He was arrogant and all he did was cost Fords & Subaru money with the amount of crashes he had. .

Sorry but that's pure and utter shit i'm afraid.

As has been said already,he put Subaru to the top of their game.

He made a very big mistake the day he took his own and the lives of others,the clue is in the word accident.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:52 PM
siddleg
Regular Contributor

good thread mate well remembered

R.I.P Colin

long live the McRae's
Old 02-10-2012, 02:56 PM
liam-rst
shit happens

Cheers mate, he was a childhood hero of mine, I even met him once and he was far from arrogant
Old 02-10-2012, 04:47 PM
stevenr
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Rally is this weekend too.I was lucky enough to meet him a few years ago in the service area at this rally as we were waiting for our car to come in.Nice chap.

http://www.coltnesscarclub.com/mcraerally/mcrae.html

Last edited by stevenr; 02-10-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:39 PM
broome
Virgin

RIP to burnsie tho

i have to agree im afraid....
Old 02-10-2012, 06:52 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Darylc.
RIP McRae, he could do some unreal things with a car
And a bike!

I was at brands on a gsxr day and he turned up, jumped on a super bike and was lapping like a WSB rider!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Sticky.
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by car.crash
Look how many focus and imprezas there are on the road. Cost them money, utter joke.
How is that a utter joke

Soare you one of these part time rally fans who have been to one rally, bought the car and clothing just because of one person????

Like said, everyone has the opinion...I've said mine and that's it. I didn't like the guy.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:06 PM
liam-rst
shit happens

How is that a utter joke

Soare you one of these part time rally fans who have been to one rally, bought the car and clothing just because of one person????

Like said, everyone has the opinion...I've said mine and that's it. I didn't like the guy.
Well tbh mate its pretty much what I have said, im no part time rally fan, you can't deny he helped the sales of impreza's world wide massivly, even Subaru recognise this
Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

RIP to burnsie tho

i also agree.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 PM
siddleg
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by turbocabessex
Well tbh mate its pretty much what I have said, im no part time rally fan, you can't deny he helped the sales of impreza's world wide massivly, even Subaru recognise this
welcome to your opinion mate and i agree with you
Old 02-10-2012, 09:51 PM
siddleg
Regular Contributor

RIP to burnsie tho

oh mate not good the bloke made a mistake and haven't we all made mistakes? its just that yea normally get away with them. Im sure there would be no one who would rather turn the clock back than himself.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:25 AM
djmillsy
Fife Radge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gjh
Another legend lost iirc didnt Marko Martin retire after this cause of how it made him feel, Mcrae was my hero growing up and had the privalige to meet him and he was such a nice guy and had time to talk, loved his old fords, a tragic accident, Burnsy was a great to from the golden generation
Old 03-10-2012, 09:06 AM
disco-stu
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Legend
Old 03-10-2012, 09:31 AM
stephenbatey

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

A mistake?? He killed two kids being a fucking tool. Would you risk yours and a friends child driving recklessly in your car never mind a helicopter you weren't licenced to fly? If yes your just as much a knob as McRae.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:22 AM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think if i had the chance to jump in a helicoptor with Colin and I new it was out of its service interval i think i would've still got in it.

Without knowing the full informaiton about if they accepted, if Colin said or just let them get in etc, i believe it was a tragic accident that could've been prevented but still happened and we lost a motorsport legend. R.I.P to Colin McCrash, made me love rallying, Subaru and Ford.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

McRae also didn't have a license when he crashed the helicoper! As soon as I found that out my opinion changed and although he was a great driver he lost his legend status after the information about the crash came out.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Nosmo-King

I hate this modern day society when we always have to punish people that have been punished.It wont do any one good.
In this case, his family, passengers family, friends, relatives and every single one of us who love him for his rally exploits are being punished every day by the way we lost one of the greatest UK Rally drivers .We know he cocked up big and it hurts to think he is just a mortal human who made a fatal mistake. His name will forever be tarnished but please let us remember all his achievements along with the sad & bad.

Last edited by Nosmo-King; 03-10-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:08 PM
siddleg
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Nosmo-King
I hate this modern day society when we always have to punish people that have been punished.It wont do any one good.
In this case, his family, passengers family, friends, relatives and every single one of us who love him for his rally exploits are being punished every day by the way we lost one of the greatest UK Rally drivers .We know he cocked up big and it hurts to think he is just a mortal human who made a fatal mistake. His name will forever be tarnished but please let us remember all his achievements along with the sad & bad.
Good point, well made