General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Black box insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Black box insurance

Starting to see these advertised regularly under the premise the better you drive the lower your premium.

However being the cynic i suspect its all a bit of a con.

acording to the various companies that offer it, the system takes into consideration the road your on, harsh acceleration, harsh braking, cornering speed, etc etc

now is this a sensible system that knows the type of road your on and hence if the aceleration is appropriate (eg heavy acceleration on a slip road to join a motorway) and cornering is appropriate (eg hard cornering G's in a 30 is bad, hard cornering on a wide open road isnt.)

or is the system dumb and just has preset acceleration and braking and g thresholds with no consideration of road, vehicle type or similar.

I can see such systems being more and more popular and maybe end up on most policies.

Is it going to mean yet another way to end fun driving? Ie you have a bit of fun on the lanes safely within the speed limit and conditions but because of it you flag up as dangerous and end up with a higher premium.....

I cant see the systems being intelligent enough to make any reasonable judgement on the driving and the circumstances so i guess its going to be loaded in the insurers favour meaning if you drive anything other than like a granny, your premium will rise not be lower.

Any one got actual experience of these systems or views??
Old 12-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Puss2
Formerly know as Puss

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont know about the above but the chap who used to live next door to me had one.
He said it recorded speed and the times the car was used meaning if he stayed below the limit and didnt use the car after a certain time it would lower his premium.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like bollox to the normal man on the street who IMO will flirt with the speed limits occasionally or take the odd corner quite aggressively... if my company tell me I have to fit one come renewal, I'll be telling them to forward my NCB proof and then kindly fist themselves.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 12-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Acidburn
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Seems like bollox to the normal man on the street who IMO will flirt with the speed limits occasionally or take the odd corner quite aggressively... if my company tell me I have to fit one come renewal, I'll be telling them to forward my NCB proof and then kindly fist themselves.

Cheers,
Grant
agree, its just going to be a way to take the fun out of driving for people who enjoy it rather than those that only use it as a step up from recreational cycling etc.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:24 PM
7sean7m7
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I have a few friends with the box, one doesn't measure his speed it's just for millage. and the other constantly monitors his speed.

I suppose it's all just pre arranged but i'd be pissed if i took the insurance out they fitted it and you found they knew exactly how fast you were going at a certain time.

I can't see it having any recording of data of your braking and accelerating forces because what about evasive maneuvers and the like?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:30 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

There are some systems which have all sorts of sensors fitted and we had one that had all the stuff you were thinking it shouldn't have
Acceleration braking cornering as well as presets for speed limits and they would be set off if any of the parameters were breached

But we only had one warning in about 4 years for harsh acceleration.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

does sound like its going to be a load of bollocks then.
Old 13-08-2012, 10:48 AM
essexRSTSouthend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a load of Crap.... i am a robot. Pretty much says it all. Be no soul in driving!
Old 18-08-2013, 10:32 AM
richardford
Virgin

Well do not know much about the thing but read some info about black box http://blackboxinsurancereviews.com/. It gave me good resource to find the fact.
Old 18-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by richardford
Well do not know much about the thing but read some info about black box http://com/. It gave me good resource to find the fact.
I dont know much but I read some info about you too www.isuspectyouraspammer.com

Hope to help
Old 18-08-2013, 05:43 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm going to get one then do a road rally, just to see what happens LOL
Old 19-08-2013, 04:20 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Not sure, but you can bet if you have an accident above the speed limit you'll find your insurance void.
Old 19-08-2013, 07:39 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see the future being that new cars will have them as standard not just for speeding but accidents etc.
Old 19-08-2013, 07:45 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

next door's daughter has one fitted it was the only way she could afford insurance,while parked she bump the car up the kerb 20 mins later insurance firm where calling to ask about the accident she had been involved in
Old 19-08-2013, 08:07 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Originally Posted by cossiejay
next door's daughter has one fitted it was the only way she could afford insurance,while parked she bump the car up the kerb 20 mins later insurance firm where calling to ask about the accident she had been involved in

Goes to show then it can't be that clever. Strong gust of wind might set it off!
Old 19-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Nick 172 Sport

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

daugher had one 4 years ago hert times where resrited between 11.00 a night to 0700 got it removed after second renewal as premium went up you do get fined money if you go over and they ring you straight away my daughter paid it so we didnt know till recently