General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

not just cossies that love stripping diff gear teeth dafs do too!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 01:10 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts
Default not just cossies that love stripping diff gear teeth dafs do too!

Rebuilding a diff that the driver complained was noisy lol. The planet and satellite gears are fucked! and it wasn't driver abuse iver Name:  diff1.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  71.2 KB
Old 09-08-2012, 01:19 PM
cossie891
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice that looks cool
Old 09-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Bet it was, things don't just break in my experience

We have a driver that has 3 clutches and actually totalled the gearbox/flywheel at the same time and she don't abuse the van as such he just has no mechanical sympathy and drives them back till the transit wont actually move anymore but don't actually aim to fuck it
Old 09-08-2012, 01:40 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by Ginge !
Bet it was, things don't just break in my experience

We have a driver that has 3 clutches and actually totalled the gearbox/flywheel at the same time and she don't abuse the van as such he just has no mechanical sympathy and drives them back till the transit wont actually move anymore but don't actually aim to fuck it
Its an LF 45 with an as tronic gear box! So the clutch and gear change is controlled by ecu so the driver cant do any thing silly! its just not man enough plus its a next truck so they run bang on or if not just over 7.5 tons all the time

Last edited by ajamesc; 09-08-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

See abuse but not aimed at abuse as such was my point, heavy load and conditions can give a truck a hard time

Wish I still had the picture of the clutch where the friction plate twisted off the spring, still can work that out lol
Old 09-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Rollinz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As tronic box....

Bet the driver has been holding the hault brake on at stand still with throttle to floor then just releasing the hault button.... (if it has one)

Done 3-4 of these on merc's with the as tronic system, which is sh1t anyway

Not sire where you work but tell you boss i do a box that stops the use of add blue
Old 09-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Why is everyone against adblue, I sell loads of this stuff so I quite like it lol
Old 09-08-2012, 01:55 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

See abuse but not aimed at abuse as such was my point, heavy load and conditions can give a truck a hard time

Wish I still had the picture of the clutch where the friction plate twisted off the spring, still can work that out lol
They do run heavy for what they are but its not a driver fault its a common problem on LF,s doing a diff oil change is like a lucky dip lol
Old 09-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Rollinz

Why is everyone against adblue, I sell loads of this stuff so I quite like it lol
Sell these box's as an agent for me if you want

They work on all bosch adblu systems
Volvo
Daf
Scania
Iveco

Merc's i have to do via laptop and backwards format the ecu to euro3,
Or just euro4 if they just wanna use less adblu

No faults apear on dash and vosa not interested because the ecu doesnt record or store any emission related infomation
Old 09-08-2012, 02:04 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by Rollinz
As tronic box....

Bet the driver has been holding the hault brake on at stand still with throttle to floor then just releasing the hault button.... (if it has one)

Done 3-4 of these on merc's with the as tronic system, which is sh1t anyway

Not sire where you work but tell you boss i do a box that stops the use of add blue
You cant do that on a daf as the clutch will be slipping so the engine ecu will see the input sharft speed is less than the crank sharft speed and cut the throttle and put an engine warning light on! Plus there is no way round the use of ad blue as the system has a before and after cat nox sensor! if the readings are not what they should be at a given exhaust / engine temp range when using a certain amount of fuel it will go into limp mode as the engine ecu will not be seeing what it needs to see. And that all works off the can line so you cannot cut or plug into it as you would affect the voltages on the can line and cause a can fault!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Sell these box's as an agent for me if you want

They work on all bosch adblu systems
Volvo
Daf
Scania
Iveco

Merc's i have to do via laptop and backwards format the ecu to euro3,
Or just euro4 if they just wanna use less adblu

No faults apear on dash and vosa not interested because the ecu doesnt record or store any emission related infomation
Why would I do that when I'm selling 5 ibc a month and a good few barrels of adblue ?

That my bonus I'd be giving away besides I doubt my customers would be interested as the cost if it went wrong would not be worth the down time/warranty issues
Old 09-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Rollinz

Originally Posted by ajamesc
You cant do that on a daf as the clutch will be slipping so the engine ecu will see the input sharft speed is less than the crank sharft speed and cut the throttle and put an engine warning light on! Plus there is no way round the use of ad blue as the system has a before and after cat nox sensor! if the readings are not what they should be at a given exhaust / engine temp range when using a certain amount of fuel it will go into limp mode as the engine ecu will not be seeing what it needs to see. And that all works off the can line so you cannot cut or plug into it as you would affect the voltages on the can line and cause a can fault!
You can use this box for the adblu
Ive fitted loads mate.

In basic... Imagine a tape recorder.....
This box plays all the right signals to the ecu so it never knows anything is wrong which is why no emission related data faults come up

Been doing them for over a year now
Old 09-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Rollinz

Why would I do that when I'm selling 5 ibc a month and a good few barrels of adblue ?

That my bonus I'd be giving away besides I doubt my customers would be interested as the cost if it went wrong would not be worth the down time/warranty issues
I see where your coming from if you sell the stuff...

As for warrenty or down time... There isnt any, as there is nothing to go wrong, the adblu system is no longer used,
If you want to use it again, simply removethe box
Old 09-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Fair play, I'm sure if you done something for the dpf's with focus/BMW ect you would make a killing as you can't buy the focus fluid as a separate part as it needs to be plugged in the IDS to tell the car it's been filled
Old 09-08-2012, 02:26 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

You can use this box for the adblu
Ive fitted loads mate.

In basic... Imagine a tape recorder.....
This box plays all the right signals to the ecu so it never knows anything is wrong which is why no emission related data faults come up

Been doing them for over a year now
na no way lol plus how dose it stop the ad blue consumption un likly fault that will come on as it knows how much ad blue it should be using and it can see the ad blue level sensor in the tank is not moveing! Plus plays signals lol how can it do that related to how heavy the truck is and outside air temp/engine and exhaust temp and speed / throttle and fuel being used? as the engine ecu knows what it should be doing in relation to all these things!

Last edited by ajamesc; 09-08-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Rollinz

It comes pre programmed and "listens" the signals down the can wires and just sends the correct response back,
The adblu pump/system you just pull the fuse and insert a blown one,

If the viechle had to go back into a dealers the "only" thing that would happen is when you attach diagnostics and try to talk with the adblu system it would say "unable to comunicate" as the fuse is pulled (but the box doesnt let the ecu know this hence no managment light)
The dealer would then insert a new fuse, the box goes into sleep mode and the adblu system works as per factory....

Pull the fuse and box starts up again,

Its kind of complicated but easy if that makes sense lol!

Hours and hours of datalogging had to be done on alot of same systems,

I cant get around the denso or marreli systems tho, its harder to crack which is why i just use my laptop to backwards the software on mercs.

As for dpf filters etc on cars i find it much more dificult to work with the ecu's,
Ive always been into truck/coach diagnostics so undertand them more clearer so find them easier to manipulate...

For future refernece too... I also have a start box for mercs that has eorl unlock so i can alter "k" factors and factory related settings (i.e can change speed limiters and up boost pressures)
I also have a factory unlocked volvo v cad system so can again change k factors and factory level settings .
Old 09-08-2012, 03:02 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

It comes pre programmed and "listens" the signals down the can wires and just sends the correct response back,
The adblu pump/system you just pull the fuse and insert a blown one,

If the viechle had to go back into a dealers the "only" thing that would happen is when you attach diagnostics and try to talk with the adblu system it would say "unable to comunicate" as the fuse is pulled (but the box doesnt let the ecu know this hence no managment light)
The dealer would then insert a new fuse, the box goes into sleep mode and the adblu system works as per factory....

Pull the fuse and box starts up again,

Its kind of complicated but easy if that makes sense lol!

Hours and hours of datalogging had to be done on alot of same systems,

I cant get around the denso or marreli systems tho, its harder to crack which is why i just use my laptop to backwards the software on mercs.

As for dpf filters etc on cars i find it much more dificult to work with the ecu's,
Ive always been into truck/coach diagnostics so undertand them more clearer so find them easier to manipulate...

For future refernece too... I also have a start box for mercs that has eorl unlock so i can alter "k" factors and factory related settings (i.e can change speed limiters and up boost pressures)
I also have a factory unlocked volvo v cad system so can again change k factors and factory level settings .
But the eas (ad blue dosing module) also contains the eas ecu and is on the can net work! if the pull the fuse so that module has no power the engine warning light will come on as the can net work cannot see the eas ecu! Where dose said box plug in then? Plus signal are not sent down the can wires the nox / temp sensors in the ad blue system sent data to the engine ecu!
Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Rollinz

But the eas (ad blue dosing module) also contains the eas ecu and is on the can net work! if the pull the fuse so that module has no power the engine warning light will come on as the can net work cannot see the eas ecu! Where dose said box plug in then? Plus signal are not sent down the can wires the nox / temp sensors in the ad blue system sent data to the engine ecu!
Can H
Can L
Earth
Ignition live
And other Goes to power supply for adblu system,

And yes thats the idea the adblu unit shuts down this box makes sure all the correct signals are still sent to the ecu, Which is why no managment light comes on and the emissions data doesnt record any faults,

It does work, as i say but only on bosch systems.. I havnt as yet found a way of "tricking" the ecu on other systems,
But im working on it.....
Old 09-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Rollinz

Back on topic anyway!!

So if the diffs are so bad in daf lf's why havnt daf dome anything about it??

I dont work on dafs too often..
Im a volvo man tbh...
Old 09-08-2012, 03:20 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Can H
Can L
Earth
Ignition live
And other Goes to power supply for adblu system,

And yes thats the idea the adblu unit shuts down this box makes sure all the correct signals are still sent to the ecu, Which is why no managment light comes on and the emissions data doesnt record any faults,

It does work, as i say but only on bosch systems.. I havnt as yet found a way of "tricking" the ecu on other systems,
But im working on it.....
I cant see it to be honest the can system is very sensitive! you can not just wire some thing into it! it has 60 ohms on it as circuit and 1.6 volts on the high and 1.4 volts on the low if this changes as you have added some thing the can system will not work! Plus how dose it change the fact the ad blue level sensor is not moving which will again put up a fault!
Plus how can one wire go to the ad blue power syply if you have pulled the fuse?
Old 09-08-2012, 03:21 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Back on topic anyway!!

So if the diffs are so bad in daf lf's why havnt daf dome anything about it??

I dont work on dafs too often..
Im a volvo man tbh...
Its not a massive problem but it dose happen and the diffs are made by zf not daf
Old 09-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Rollinz

It goes to the power supply not for power but to put the box into sleep mode if the system is re powered,
Old 09-08-2012, 03:42 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

It goes to the power supply not for power but to put the box into sleep mode if the system is re powered,
I still cant see it working! the engine ecu knows when it should be using ad blue! you could drive all day loaded and not need any ad blue or you could need loads it all depends on temp load throttle and fuel used in relation to nox before the cat how on earth will this box no all that?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Have you ever had issues with the XF95 hub reduction axles? We've done a few LF45 diffs so we know they can give issues but I'm just looking to buy an 80T XF95 6x2 with a hub reduction axle and I wouldn't like a nasty surprise if I can help it!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:48 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by DazC
Have you ever had issues with the XF95 hub reduction axles? We've done a few LF45 diffs so we know they can give issues but I'm just looking to buy an 80T XF95 6x2 with a hub reduction axle and I wouldn't like a nasty surprise if I can help it!
no never but then hub reduction on a 95 is not very commom to be honest so you don't really see them un less its a big heavy load plated one
Old 09-08-2012, 09:53 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

No I thought that myself. We've done quite a bit on LFs and CFs but never even had an XF through the door never mind one with hub reduction.

This is an 80 tonner. It will be having an underlift dropped on the back of it when I get round to it.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

No I thought that myself. We've done quite a bit on LFs and CFs but never even had an XF through the door never mind one with hub reduction.

This is an 80 tonner. It will be having an underlift dropped on the back of it when I get round to it.
I see loads of XF 95 and 105,s there good trucks look after a few with over 800,000kms on them too
Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

That's what I like to hear. Seeing that it's my truck of choice to build a heavy recovery truck out of! Would hate to have to use something I didn't want.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 AM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I like to hear. Seeing that it's my truck of choice to build a heavy recovery truck out of! Would hate to have to use something I didn't want.
you LIKE DAFs? bloody hell, the auto gearbox on them is horrendous, absolutely useless for pulling away in any kind of hurry on a roudabout etc. see a gap, put your foot down, gearbox thinks about what gear it wants, changes its mind, chooses another gear, 2 seconds pass, you think you havent put your foot down enough as nothing has happened yet, then by the time it has selected anything youre being launched forward into the traffic that wasnt there when you first decided to go.awful things, even as new they do this.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
you LIKE DAFs? bloody hell, the auto gearbox on them is horrendous, absolutely useless for pulling away in any kind of hurry on a roudabout etc. see a gap, put your foot down, gearbox thinks about what gear it wants, changes its mind, chooses another gear, 2 seconds pass, you think you havent put your foot down enough as nothing has happened yet, then by the time it has selected anything youre being launched forward into the traffic that wasnt there when you first decided to go.awful things, even as new they do this.
Then pull away im manual and once up to speed switch it back into auto lol That way you control what gear your in and for how long! The biggest problem with as tronic is people not reading the drivers hand book or not being trained!

Last edited by ajamesc; 10-08-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 AM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

manual?another example is im in auto slowing down for the roundabout, just about to stop but still coasting, i see a gap and put my foot down, NOTHING! it spends 2 seconds (thats a LONG time!) clicking about in the box finding a gear! i havent had a chance to flick to manual or bugger about with settings. i shouldnt have to flick from auto to manual, other makes such as renault can get it right. another example would be reversing into a bay when fully loaded, put it in reverse start to reverse and turn, let off slightly to adjust speed, the box engages the clutch so theres no drive, so you apply the same throttle as before, nothing happens, you put your foot down a little more, still nothing, a little more, nothing, the truck stops moving completely, you apply a little more throttle, the clutch is dropped and the truck tries to launch backwards at full chat!!!!this is not just my gripe, everyone at our depot has had this problem, including the mechanics.and yes, we had the trucks from new.
Renaults have a much better box.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

manual?another example is im in auto slowing down for the roundabout, just about to stop but still coasting, i see a gap and put my foot down, NOTHING! it spends 2 seconds (thats a LONG time!) clicking about in the box finding a gear! i havent had a chance to flick to manual or bugger about with settings. i shouldnt have to flick from auto to manual, other makes such as renault can get it right. another example would be reversing into a bay when fully loaded, put it in reverse start to reverse and turn, let off slightly to adjust speed, the box engages the clutch so theres no drive, so you apply the same throttle as before, nothing happens, you put your foot down a little more, still nothing, a little more, nothing, the truck stops moving completely, you apply a little more throttle, the clutch is dropped and the truck tries to launch backwards at full chat!!!!this is not just my gripe, everyone at our depot has had this problem, including the mechanics.and yes, we had the trucks from new.
Renaults have a much better box.
You can select gears manually to over come the problem of pulling out! read the hand book mate or talk to daf about it theres a cousre you can go on! Plus when you are manoeuvring are you in the tortoise mode? as that turns the accelerator pedal into a clutch pedal as the clutch will be slipping and the pedal adjusts how much it slips! so you have a clutch bite point you can hold it on! again its all in the drivers hand book! Also who services it? has it got the latest soft wear up dates on it as the lastest one drive spot on unless you meet a i only like volvos type nothing else will ever be right lol

Last edited by ajamesc; 10-08-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Rollinz

You can select gears manually to over come the problem of pulling out! read the hand book mate or talk to daf about it theres a cousre you can go on! Plus when you are manoeuvring are you in the tortoise mode? as that turns the accelerator pedal into a clutch pedal as the clutch will be slipping and the pedal adjusts how much it slips! so you have a clutch bite point you can hold it on! again its all in the drivers hand book! Also who services it? has it got the latest soft wear up dates on it as the lastest one drive spot on unless you meet a i only like volvos type nothing else will ever be right lol

The volvo "i shift" ?

Thats thee best gearbox ive ever driven!! (and worked on too)

Altho not without there faults! They are still superior to the zf astronic,
Zf should of stuck to the full auto box's or full manual box. Cause every version of as tronic with whatever firmware i think is pants!

The ishift is awsome... Coupld to either the 12 or 16 engine.... On the small 7or 9 they have to change gear too much and i think a straight 6 speed zf would be better but hey... All the modern world is transfixed on auto function for some reason...
Maybe because it makes them better on fuel compared to a bad driver with a manual box..??
Old 10-08-2012, 02:49 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

The volvo "i shift" ?

Thats thee best gearbox ive ever driven!! (and worked on too)

Altho not without there faults! They are still superior to the zf astronic,
Zf should of stuck to the full auto box's or full manual box. Cause every version of as tronic with whatever firmware i think is pants!

The ishift is awsome... Coupld to either the 12 or 16 engine.... On the small 7or 9 they have to change gear too much and i think a straight 6 speed zf would be better but hey... All the modern world is transfixed on auto function for some reason...
Maybe because it makes them better on fuel compared to a bad driver with a manual box..??
The latest generation soft wear as tronic lite mid and full size boxes drive very well! i cant comment on all the others as not driven them as much other than a man with there as tronic lite box in it that was shit against a new LF45! And i guess the reason fleets like auto is because these days 85% of drivers are steering wheel attendants so they have it to take the fuel consumption out of there hands and to save on gearbox and clutch wear!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:59 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yes im aware of manual mode, but its crap, it doesnt overcome pulling away problems at all, the same issue is present in manual or auto, so i dont bother with it, and yes, i use the slow reverse mode, im not going to purposefully rocket back into a finger bay with 20 odd tonnes on board!
as for who services it, we have our own dedicated workshop with fully qualified mechanics in there, and when something bigger needs doing it goes straight to the DAF dealer. i work for a VERY big company, the wagons arent left to rot, they are constantly maintained so id be surprised if there are ANY updates available that havent been applied.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

yes im aware of manual mode, but its crap, it doesnt overcome pulling away problems at all, the same issue is present in manual or auto, so i dont bother with it, and yes, i use the slow reverse mode, im not going to purposefully rocket back into a finger bay with 20 odd tonnes on board!
as for who services it, we have our own dedicated workshop with fully qualified mechanics in there, and when something bigger needs doing it goes straight to the DAF dealer. i work for a VERY big company, the wagons arent left to rot, they are constantly maintained so id be surprised if there are ANY updates available that havent been applied.
Every one has there own opinion I see drivers who don't like it but many more who do!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Rollinz

The latest generation soft wear as tronic lite mid and full size boxes drive very well! i cant comment on all the others as not driven them as much other than a man with there as tronic lite box in it that was shit against a new LF45! And i guess the reason fleets like auto is because these days 85% of drivers are steering wheel attendants so they have it to take the fuel consumption out of there hands and to save on gearbox and clutch wear!
See i work on coaches mainly, very seldom a lorry,
And the as box ive only worked with is what are fitted with merc/setra coaches,
I even had a zf man out once for a fault and asked about re programming... He did some work with me and got it alot better... But it was eating clutches in 200k km's.... So software got put back to std,
Not impressed at all with what ive seen so far..

As for drivers.... I have to agree!! Steering wheel attendants these days...

I had a breakdown to a B12m coach a few months ago..
Driver reported it "just cut out"....

Got to it... Every alarm was going off for high temp/low oil/ low water etc etc...
It cut out cause he had driven it untill it physically siezed up!!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

See i work on coaches mainly, very seldom a lorry,
And the as box ive only worked with is what are fitted with merc/setra coaches,
I even had a zf man out once for a fault and asked about re programming... He did some work with me and got it alot better... But it was eating clutches in 200k km's.... So software got put back to std,
Not impressed at all with what ive seen so far..

As for drivers.... I have to agree!! Steering wheel attendants these days...

I had a breakdown to a B12m coach a few months ago..
Driver reported it "just cut out"....

Got to it... Every alarm was going off for high temp/low oil/ low water etc etc...
It cut out cause he had driven it untill it physically siezed up!!
We had a wicks driver in with an LF55 that had an eaton 8 speed in it. His complant was there was a lot of transmission noise! So one of are guys took him out in it and couldent hear anything when they got back to the yard the driver said do you always have to use that lever on the gear knob lol. The twat had been driving it round in the 4 high gears as he dident know it had rang change lol
Old 10-08-2012, 06:30 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

God no! I don't like anything automatic...

I like DAF trucks in general, as long as they're manual...
Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 PM
YOREVOL
YOREVOL

daf sb200 diffs are crap as well. we go through times when its all we do and weve only got 7 of them.

Quick Reply: not just cossies that love stripping diff gear teeth dafs do too!