General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

advice on breaking a car

Search this Thread

Old 30-07-2012, 05:41 PM
bubs_rsturbo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on breaking a car

as per my other post my 1990 celica gt4 has shit itself.

any of you who have broken cars did you take all parts off first or as people want them? how did you eventually scrap the shell with no wheels, suspension to get it to scrap yard? any advice welcomed
Old 30-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Nick.W

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I broke my S1 I made sure my shell was the first thing to be sold as the buyer can specify bits to be left on at there cost if need be, and save you hassle of removing if you don't have to.

That method worked well for me when I broke my S1

Edited to say write yourself out a list of component level parts with prices againsed each so you have it to hand when a potential buyer specifys if any parts to be left on shell.

Last edited by Nick.W; 30-07-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 30-07-2012, 06:28 PM
bubs_rsturbo

Originally Posted by Nick.W
When I broke my S1 I made sure my shell was the first thing to be sold as the buyer can specify bits to be left on at there cost if need be and save you hassle or removing if you don't have to.

That method worked well for me when I broke my S1

Edited to say write yourself out a list of component level parts with prices againsed each so you have it to hand when a potential buyer specifys if any parts to be left on shell.

thanks for your reply, the shell needs some work and im not sure if i would get a buyer for it or not cause the st185 gt4 isnt overly popular but will certainly advertise it. had more thought about selling parts from it on ebay as i can target the whole of the uk instead of just northern ireland.

cheers
Old 30-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Nick.W

In that case strip everything of value and have it ready to go, then advertise the shell and what ever is left on it on a low start auction. That would be my advice to maximise money out of it and get it all gone so you don't have random parts laying around

Last edited by Nick.W; 30-07-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 30-07-2012, 06:45 PM
bubs_rsturbo

Originally Posted by Nick.W
In that case strip everything of value and have it ready to go, then advertise the shell and what ever is left on it on a low start auction. That would be my advice to maximise money out of it and get it all gone so you don't have random parts laying around

spot on mate that sounds good cheers for the advice
Old 30-07-2012, 07:14 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

when i break a car (mk2 fiesta now)
i remove all interior partys and stack them in the back then parts are still safe and watertight
thenwhen things sell i remove them
i try to keep the car driving as long as possible and its handy to get it up high to save jacks etc
i usually set them up on stacks of wheels 3-4 high

quick add on ebay at 99p (free) advertise a lamp or something and people will come to you, give that a week then divvy it up on a free listings day so you dont lose everythign at 99p, start things at £10 £50 etc whatever you need from it and if it doesnt sell you dont lose out.
i have a chap with a transporter who takes the shells gets em stacked then gives me the money (less his cut)
easies way every, the jeep i just scrapped was heavy so i welded the bonnet to the chassis rails so it ran up the truck easier
extras over scrap value are cats, alloys, wiring (500 a ton i beleve but has to be worth removing) but if you can sell a module or something for 100 quid you know you are onto a winner
you can go as far as cutting parts too so if you have a good roof and they rust or a pilars or anythign really
as im breaking this little fiesta i know its light so ill cut it into smaller bits and take it in a work van unless i find another car to swap with (as i usually try to do to keep moving costs down)
you need to post too, it makes a massive difference to what you sell.