General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ford employees / enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 25-06-2012, 10:45 AM
motorsportbeng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford employees / enthusiasts

I am currently going through the stages of applying for a position at Ford and as part of interview prep I need to research where the company is going in the future. I've done my own research but if anyone can give any extra information that may help me I would be very grateful.
Old 25-06-2012, 11:09 AM
AstoN_B
An eye for detail...

Down the pan if they dont bring back cars like they had mid 80's-90's. Affordable, fun performance cars. If you had a cossie back then you were the bollox. Forget your expensive foereign stuff!
Old 25-06-2012, 11:30 AM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

used to work at ford for many years and the future is bleak to say the least with poor pay structures and little hope for progression and now even temp rotating contracts just like most diy stores/supermarkets, the ford history is vast and something in my younger years I researched quite a bit with a tour of where it all began in detroit then the foundry at dagenham and production lines like halewood
Old 25-06-2012, 11:46 AM
wilky
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

defo shutting down i'am still there and it's all going around me ,prob will only be the engine plate left at dagenham
Old 25-06-2012, 12:27 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

No need to research, just tell them what's been said on here.. "I personally think Ford are soon to be on the rocks, going nowhere."

Old 25-06-2012, 01:14 PM
James998

Down the shitter.
Old 25-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone seems to be forgetting that Ford is a worldwide organisation, not a British one. It's also the only major US automaker that didn't take government money a few years ago or seek protection from creditors.

They certainly do less here than they used to and that withdrawal might or might not continue. The reality is that they sell their vehicles all over the world and can build them pretty much anywhere so they look at the same factors as any other business:
Availability of land, facilities, raw materials, component suppliers, etc.
How close they will be to the market for their vehicles.
Quality and flexibility of the available workforce.
Taxation and other operating costs for a particular location.

Whether we like it or not, we are pricing ourselves out of lots of work here and, as long as the leaders of the unions are encouraging their members to walk out in pursuit of more money, multinationals can't be blamed for looking elsewhere, or do you think that someone sitting in Detroit doesn't consider industrial relations threats when making an investment or closure decision?

The fact that their striking union members lose pay while the officials continue to get full pay tells me all I need to know about their "leadership".

Where I think Ford and a lot of other employers have gone wrong is their obsession with graduate recruitment. They take lots of graduates in, move them around the organisation and lose more than they keep, while ignoring experienced candidates who actually WANT to work for them rather than just get the name on their CV.
Old 25-06-2012, 06:41 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

They need to buy cosworth back, stop fucking around and build a fiesta and focus cossie (using duratec engines as a base) to kick the crap out of citroen in the WRC and beat everyone in the world touring cars. I maybe win Le mans again with perhaps a new model of the GT.
Old 25-06-2012, 06:56 PM
the_frozen_one

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Research ecoboost engine ranges, talk about the 1.0 ecoboost being international engine of the year. Big up the engines. What's left of Ford in the UK is engine engineering. Oh, and tell em the build bay is the beating heart of Dunton :-D
Old 25-06-2012, 06:56 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
Everyone seems to be forgetting that Ford is a worldwide organisation, not a British one. It's also the only major US automaker that didn't take government money a few years ago or seek protection from creditors.

They certainly do less here than they used to and that withdrawal might or might not continue. The reality is that they sell their vehicles all over the world and can build them pretty much anywhere so they look at the same factors as any other business:
Availability of land, facilities, raw materials, component suppliers, etc.
How close they will be to the market for their vehicles.
Quality and flexibility of the available workforce.
Taxation and other operating costs for a particular location.

Whether we like it or not, we are pricing ourselves out of lots of work here and, as long as the leaders of the unions are encouraging their members to walk out in pursuit of more money, multinationals can't be blamed for looking elsewhere, or do you think that someone sitting in Detroit doesn't consider industrial relations threats when making an investment or closure decision?

The fact that their striking union members lose pay while the officials continue to get full pay tells me all I need to know about their "leadership".

Where I think Ford and a lot of other employers have gone wrong is their obsession with graduate recruitment. They take lots of graduates in, move them around the organisation and lose more than they keep, while ignoring experienced candidates who actually WANT to work for them rather than just get the name on their CV.

hit the nail on the head imho, as for buying cosworth making a new sierra etc etc it will never happen. same with the mustang. whilst i agree ford NEED something fast/different in the range if it did the price tag would be so vast it would never sell.