General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopped by police, exhaust too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 24-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Rogeyboy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stopped by police, exhaust too loud?

I was pulled by the old bill last night on the way to a meet, told the exhaust was too loud and that the car had to be tested...
I pulled into a carpark where the police tested the volume of the exhaust, at idle and 4,000rpm. It was 98dB, apparently the limit is 80dB?
Ive been given 14 days to change the exhaust, £30 spot fine and the car has been logged on the ANPR database with a loud exhaust.

Can they do this?
What should i do, get the exhaust changed or leave it?
Old 24-06-2012, 07:34 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

yes they can do this and that is pretty darn loud to be fair, and we all know there are plenty driving around with silly loud exhausts on saxos and scoobys, if you dont sort it and you get stopped again you could get your car taken off you
Old 24-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

whilst you may enjoy the sound of your car whilst driving
you would not enjoy it at 1 in the morning if your mate was hurtling up and down your street in it
Old 24-06-2012, 07:51 AM
DAN-Saff
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exhaust do you have?
Old 24-06-2012, 07:57 AM
STeve

some race tracks wont even let you on it if your db level is that high which should give you some idea why you got pulled
Old 24-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbosystems
whilst you may enjoy the sound of your car whilst driving
you would not enjoy it at 1 in the morning if your mate was hurtling up and down your street in it

Exactly, there is a chump toots about in a scooby im my village at night and he is getting on my tits its just way to loud end off.
Old 24-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Rogeyboy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a 2.5" scorpion system, i don't know why its so loud....
98dB was at 4,000rpm, it doesnt seem loud in the car and its not the loudest around here by far.
Maybe i'll just get an intermediate silencer welded into the system?
Old 24-06-2012, 08:18 AM
STeve

could be the baffle has simply blown out of the exhaust as scorpion is normally quality stuff, but as they have put a marker on your car its unwise to ignore it, you was just unlucky to get pulled
Old 24-06-2012, 08:28 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Police can be utter cunts when it comes to this sort of thing. Just get a middle box put in. Loud exhausts are for chavs anyway
Old 24-06-2012, 09:16 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unlucky mate.
Old 24-06-2012, 09:29 AM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

as been said, get it changed or quietened down with an extra silencer.
the one i made for my xr2 is too loud, i do find myself having to keep the load off when passing police as i know they will pull me for it, the only thing i can do for it really is to change the tip, otherwise massive silencers need fitting.
Old 24-06-2012, 09:39 AM
mgtkr1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

most uk circuits are 105db or 98db depending on location, it is pretty loud for a car. maybe the silencing has had enough. try another back section or fit a second silencer. if your noty convinced with the police reading, get it checked independently.

to give you an example of how easy it is for the noise to go up, i was at a trackday (105db) with my 250.. from cold it was over 110db. after it reached temp and i stuuffed rags in the lower fairing it sailed through at someting like 99db. my point is, if the baffles are tired it could easily effect the noise output. esp with db reading equipment.
Old 24-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieST
Police can be utter cunts when it comes to this sort of thing. Just get a middle box put in. Loud exhausts are for chavs anyway
They sure can.

Remember I was at a meet years ago and a lad in a saxo got pulled for his exhaust being too loud. As the police where explaining, my brother arrived in his 2.8 capri with straight through's on it!
The lad with the saxo was shouting and flapping his arms about the volume of the capri's exhausts to which the police man replied "yeah, but that's a proper car"
Old 24-06-2012, 10:13 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Csm
Exactly, there is a chump toots about in a scooby im my village at night and he is getting on my tits its just way to loud end off.
Moany auld cunt
Old 24-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Cosnada

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It does get on ya tits and I have never had loud exhausts but what really does piss me off is the Harley boys have some sort of dispensation and can run open exhausts and it be perfectly fine. Some bike exhausts are stupidly loud but there is almost an expectation that they are like it and therefore by default an acceptance of the volume.

Get yaself to Maplins and buy a db meter - quite cheap. Mount it on a pole 1 metre / 1.2 metres in length and there you have your db meter reading. Obviously it can't do drive past but a good static indicator.
Old 24-06-2012, 10:26 AM
JamesR1
Anybody for a brew?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be fair break the law and pay the price.
Old 24-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Moany auld cunt

These days Kev i am Victor Meldrew matey
Old 24-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosnada
It does get on ya tits and I have never had loud exhausts but what really does piss me off is the Harley boys have some sort of dispensation and can run open exhausts and it be perfectly fine. Some bike exhausts are stupidly loud but there is almost an expectation that they are like it and therefore by default an acceptance of the volume.

Get yaself to Maplins and buy a db meter - quite cheap. Mount it on a pole 1 metre / 1.2 metres in length and there you have your db meter reading. Obviously it can't do drive past but a good static indicator.
alternatively down load a db meter app for your smart phone
Old 24-06-2012, 12:44 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

I can beat that

I got pulled more than once for my brakes being to big lol
Old 24-06-2012, 01:02 PM
DAN400

the cunts can do what they like,
i got pulled last sunday for no reason and took to a mobile test centre ,
i had 3 very minor problems, number plates too small, no fog light and sun strip,
i was told i d 14 days to sort and show at a mot centre,
so i asked do i have to ring and book it in and pay a fee or anything like that ,
no no they said just call down,
so i went the mot centre yesterday only for them to tell me i have to book in and pay a fee
so i ll have to ring first thing tomorrow morning and book in,
and apparently by people i was chating too the closest date they could get was near the end of july ffs

fuckin joke!!!!
Old 24-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks good for the figures and next to no risk going after the motorist who doesn't fight too much and just pays up.
Old 24-06-2012, 01:39 PM
t16coupe
Regular Contributor

police are getting a real joke these days
Old 24-06-2012, 01:52 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by t16coupe
police are getting a real joke these days
Always have been.

The issue isnt so much with the people on the ground. It's the wankers above them instructing them to hassle people doing no harm or not bothering anyone. ie easy target motorists.

IMO 98db at 4k isnt that bad. But then, are they pulling people because they actually heard them driving at 4k or over making noise, or simply because the car has the potential to do it ?
Do they also issue with a speeding ticket because it may be able to exceed the speed limit ?
Do they issues tickets because you may drive through a red light ?

Offences and crimes are supposed to be were wrong has been done, harm cause etc etc. Seems most motoring offences are created for easy fine issue with no crime or harm having ever been caused. Just that it may do at some point.

Complete and utter load of balls.

And is there even a dB reading on any database for a Sierra Cosworth ? I somehow doubt it. As for his mystical 80db...just how is this measured, do they have proper approved equipment to carry out the test ? Under what circumstances was the test carried out ? Are they trained in using the equipment ?

I think you'll find they wouldnt have any answers to all of those questions.
Old 24-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Rollinz

i got pulled the other week,
i went steaming down a bypass near work on full chat... external wastegate open with ALS switched on....

got to the end of bypass. als off, and proceeded quietly round to work (this was 10pm) got round the corner to find a police man stood in the middle of the road stopping me...

his coments were somthing along the lines of "was that you driving like a C*NT making all the noise... "to which i replied...

no officer im just going to work (and pointed at the gates)
he moved out of the way and let me passed looking confused as to why my car was then quiet... :LOL:

and just for peoples opinions before they start moaning... no i would not go full chat in built up areas where 1 its dangerous and 2 would make too much noise for residents!
Old 24-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Rollinz

Originally Posted by v man
I can beat that

I got pulled more than once for my brakes being to big lol
EPIC!!!! what the F*ck did they say??

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Always have been.

The issue isnt so much with the people on the ground. It's the wankers above them instructing them to hassle people doing no harm or not bothering anyone. ie easy target motorists.

IMO 98db at 4k isnt that bad. But then, are they pulling people because they actually heard them driving at 4k or over making noise, or simply because the car has the potential to do it ?
Do they also issue with a speeding ticket because it may be able to exceed the speed limit ?
Do they issues tickets because you may drive through a red light ?

Offences and crimes are supposed to be were wrong has been done, harm cause etc etc. Seems most motoring offences are created for easy fine issue with no crime or harm having ever been caused. Just that it may do at some point.

Complete and utter load of balls.

And is there even a dB reading on any database for a Sierra Cosworth ? I somehow doubt it. As for his mystical 80db...just how is this measured, do they have proper approved equipment to carry out the test ? Under what circumstances was the test carried out ? Are they trained in using the equipment ?

I think you'll find they wouldnt have any answers to all of those questions.
my mate got pulkled once for having a dog roaster coming out the front bumper of his 2.0 turbo nova.. they were going to "DO" him for noise

he said "its facing away from curb and under ??db noise (cant remeber figure he said) and they looked puzzled as fuck and just let him go! lol
Old 24-06-2012, 02:21 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

believe it or not the actual noise limit on uk public roads for vehicles is 74 db !

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...on/DG_10025601
Old 24-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Rollinz

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
believe it or not the actual noise limit on uk public roads for vehicles is 74 db !

so how the hell do these quads and bikes get away with it??
Old 24-06-2012, 02:51 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollinz
so how the hell do these quads and bikes get away with it??
i think its just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and unlucky for an ass copper to hear it.
Old 24-06-2012, 02:54 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer

Read the FAQ. It relates to new vehicles from 2009 onwards.

It cannot be made retrospective. And surprise surprise, nowhere does it state how the level of 74db is measured.

It could be 1 foot away, or 100 feet. With unknown equipment and unknown circumstances.

it's a bit like saying a 747 taking off at Heathrow is only 74db.....if you're at the North Pole.

TBH one of the most annoying noises on the road are police sirens. So lets get them all ticketed and issued with fines. Not to mention them stupid blue lights...flashing and causing annoyance.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 24-06-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 24-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Rollinz

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Read the FAQ. It relates to new vehicles from 2009 onwards.

It cannot be made retrospective. And surprise surprise, nowhere does it state how the level of 74db is measured.

It could be 1 foot away, or 100 feet. With unknown equipment and unknown circumstances.

it's a bit like saying a 747 taking off at Heathrow is only 74db.....if you're at the North Pole.

TBH one of the most annoying noises on the road are police sirens. So lets get them all ticketed and issued with fines. Not to mention them stupid blue lights...flashing and causing annoyance.
and effecting people with epilepsy
Old 24-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I was once stopped in my old XR2i and told my car was illegal as thew wheels were too big (15's) and the car had white dials fitted. The 2 things iffy on the car, no red reflctors in the clear back lights and no rubbers in the pedal he missed. I was stopped as I'd been seen racing. I told him I hadn't and I'd only just arrived in the area. Asked if I could prove where I was 30 minutes ago I replied with on CCTV in Halfords in the next town getting an inner tube for my bike and then on CCTV in the petrol station filling up.

His response...... "Don't do it again!"

WTF! I didn't do it originaly you fucking mongtard cunt
Old 24-06-2012, 03:12 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Oranoco
I was once stopped in my old XR2i and told my car was illegal as thew wheels were too big (15's) and the car had white dials fitted. The 2 things iffy on the car, no red reflctors in the clear back lights and no rubbers in the pedal he missed. I was stopped as I'd been seen racing. I told him I hadn't and I'd only just arrived in the area. Asked if I could prove where I was 30 minutes ago I replied with on CCTV in Halfords in the next town getting an inner tube for my bike and then on CCTV in the petrol station filling up.

His response...... "Don't do it again!"

WTF! I didn't do it originaly you fucking mongtard cunt
That's why in cases like that, an official complaint needs to be made. Whether it goes anywhere or not, if enough motorists make official complaints, eventually something will have to be done about the harassment.
If the same cops names keep appearing, then those in charge will have to do something.
Old 24-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Rollinz

do you think been pulled by the fuzz is effected as to what car you drive??

i use to get pulled in my rs turbo ALL the time!
but in my focus i never was (until other week) which admitadly there was NOTHING on the road and i was making a right racket lol,

but even now with my WRC kit and mahoosive rear wrc spoiler they dont seem bothered.....

do people in the "SCENE" cars (vw's with no suspension) get pulled over much?
Old 24-06-2012, 05:38 PM
STeve

not worth crying over simply take it like a man and move on, bitching about it is pointless if you are legal and doing nothing wrong then let the feds do their job = simples
Old 24-06-2012, 05:46 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by 1-PD
not worth crying over simply take it like a man and move on, bitching about it is pointless if you are legal and doing nothing wrong then let the feds do their job = simples
This is the issue though. If you were to take many construction and use laws....almost any modification could be deemed illegal, and the only way you could try and fight it is to spend thousands in court fees with almost no chance of succeeding.

Motorist = criminal

Car enthusiast motorist = criminal no 1
Old 24-06-2012, 05:59 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So what does a Cossie with a T4 @ 4krpm record?
Old 24-06-2012, 06:08 PM
STeve

we all know its down to the officer concerned at the time as I know many in the force which are top lads and straight as a dye, of course theres going to be the odd jobsworth or new recruit trying to get his first nick, my point is if you are legal why worrie as its only those that are skating on the edge of the law that are feeling hard done by
Old 24-06-2012, 06:12 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by BRAMMER
zero boost?!
Old 24-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Gary F
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by BRAMMER
Mines 97db at 4000rpm
Old 24-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Rollinz

Originally Posted by bigchez
zero boost?!

Quick Reply: Stopped by police, exhaust too loud?