General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

engine machine work (balancing etc etc )

Search this Thread

Old 28-02-2005, 09:30 PM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine machine work (balancing etc etc )

i have been trying to find someone local to me to get prices for fitting liners , pocketing and decking (oops i mean bowling out ) pistons, shot peening rods and then balancing everything up but all the companies i used 2 years ago no longer have the facilities to do it
i spoke to julian godfrey's but they want silly money (compared to my last build /similar spec)

are there any tuners on here that actuallly do the machine work ? i dont mean someone that sends stuff out to an engineer then sticks their cut on top (im too tight to pay for that )
Old 01-03-2005, 07:05 AM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

btt
Old 01-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Seems we all stick our cut on top
Old 01-03-2005, 08:38 AM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

*real tears*

what happend to the good ole days when you could just go to a local engineer and get exactly what you wanted all in one place

there is method in my madness tho tbh , i mean - if all the machine work is done in one place there can be no passing the buck if something isnt done properly. It just makes things so much easier to keep things in one place then move the whole thing over to the next person for the next stage of the project and so on and so forth
Old 01-03-2005, 08:43 AM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Where are you?

I use Anderson Racing Engines, nr Bath

Very good engineer
Old 01-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing you do need to be cautious of though when dealer directly with the engineers is that a lot of the time with general engineers they know about engineering and not tuning, so if you specify a shape that is going to lead to terrible squish, they wont be able to tell you that (cause they wont know) but a decent tuner would.

Personally, id just buy pistons that are the right CR in the first place as i dont like the concept of weakening pistons in order to allow you to increase the power of the engine by lowering the cr, but thats just me being over cautious i guess.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:49 AM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

chip check this topic out
https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...r=asc&start=50
as long as they look like that i,l be happy as far as weakening the piston . i think having valve pockets cut on a set of low comp mahles should bring the cr down to around 7.5-1 so they wont need too much machining out to reach the ratio im lookin for

Trending Topics

Old 01-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

yes there are, my engine builder has his own "in house" machine shop actually in his workshop.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:51 AM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

gurn e
im in sussex m8 . i have allways used 2 places local to me but my favourite one has sold all his machines due to lack of demand and the other one has been taken over by a total messer
Old 01-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Perfect example of what im on about, Stu clearly earns his "bit on top" in my opinion, and trying to avoid using people like him and going direct to the end engineer with Stu's knowledge seems a little unfair to me.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:55 AM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

i have allready spoken to stu and believe me when i say he will be getting his bit on top . but stu is in blackpool and i am in sussex . im building an engine 1st not a car , also as stu has said many many times he is not a mechanic he's a tuner so if i got him to supply ,machine and build the engine i would be wasting my money and taking up his time when he could be earning more on more proffitable jobs
Old 01-03-2005, 09:00 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Fair enough!
Old 01-03-2005, 09:01 AM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Chip, what you gotta pay for a XE'ed nova these days?

Nothing special, just cheap and fast?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:07 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by brad
he's a tuner so if i got him to supply ,machine and build the engine i would be wasting my money and taking up his time when he could be earning more on more proffitable jobs
Quite, but he will be able to speak to the engineer using words you and I (well I for sure) don't even know about, leading to a job done to his specifications and requirements.

I take something to my engineer, we talk, half of which I don't fully understand, how do I know for sure I have the result I need ?

My biggest concern would be then going to someone like Stu for him to say - noooooooo, you didn't want to do it like that
Old 01-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Anonymous
Banned

I sold a tatty one for 700 quid, but that was just cause i wanted to shift it quickly and sold it to a mate who then tidied it up and sold it at a profit, 1200-1500 is more like the going rate.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:25 AM
chester
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

I boxed up all my cossie rotating internals and sent them to Burtons. They charged me £80 plus vat plus return carraige to balance everything, and they can sort your pistons out at the same time if needed.

Quality job as well
Old 01-03-2005, 12:09 PM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by frog
Originally Posted by brad
he's a tuner so if i got him to supply ,machine and build the engine i would be wasting my money and taking up his time when he could be earning more on more proffitable jobs
Quite, but he will be able to speak to the engineer using words you and I (well I for sure) don't even know about, leading to a job done to his specifications and requirements.

I take something to my engineer, we talk, half of which I don't fully understand, how do I know for sure I have the result I need ?

My biggest concern would be then going to someone like Stu for him to say - noooooooo, you didn't want to do it like that

you are right there m8 , but tbh im only building an engine to have fun with and at 500 brake its nothing really new , my last motor was built to handle 500 but was speccd down to increase its life and useability . it shouldnt be too difficult for most engineers to do for me especially if i can give them the details as to what i want exactly (hence the barrage of questions on the other thread ) and tbh if the machinist doesnt know how to do things properly or thinks he knows a better way to do things i will take my buisness elsewhere (hence asking the question in this thread )

Chester
did you send your block off with all your engine bits ?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:11 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Brad, I think it all depends on your own knowledge at the end of the day
Old 01-03-2005, 12:21 PM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

very true m8
as far as building engines go i find it easy as do most of us on here
but when it comes to spec and technical details i like to ask the experts and follow the advice and guidance of my tuner . i havnt got a fookin clue about mapping etc etc and wouldnt even dare tell anyone i have the foggiest about any of the techy side of things thats the side of things i would rather pay for the experts knowledge on
Old 01-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Best you buy Fast Ford this month then.. some good tech stuff in there, especially my large live mapping feature