General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Advice needed: Low readings dyno shoot -> RE-RUN!!

Search this Thread

Old 30-04-2012 | 07:39 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Wim,
No probs, a better intercooler would keep more of the power for more of the time, but as you're not doing track days or holding it flat out for long periods, then the fact that the intercooler sits on top of the radiator won't be so much of an issue. Just appreciate that in any static scenario you'll run into heat soak issues .
Old 01-05-2012 | 06:22 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
what else is there to judge, the fans were being deemed as useless so i showed some evidence that some are good and more than adequate.
oil and water temperatures for starters, localised hot spots etc

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Forgot to say that the best fans I have seen were the ones at AVA, unfortunately the pics are at work and this is the only one I have at home:

Took two people holding on to the bonnet to stop it from blowing back onto the screen and you could lean into the flow and the flow woul support you (like high winds on a ferry).

If memory serves me correctly, it was 25Kw (although only managing 18Kw on the day due to power supply issues) and even that had issues cooling my car, where it made 320bhp @ the wheels at 1.2 bar with 40 deg ACTs (a rare 30 deg ambient Scottish day LOL) and then only 395bhp @ the wheels @ 2.2 bar (with the water injection running flat out and the charge temps still in the 50s).
why is a bonnet even open? hardly representative of flat out 'on road' conditions is it?

25kW is 33bhp - that's as much airflow as a 250cc motorbike can push out of the way at full speed

Last edited by foreigneRS; 01-05-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-05-2012 | 07:39 AM
Gordon1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by bigad4x4
You think 9.7 is unbeatable? Did you build/map the engine?

not unbeatable but there is a lot of cars trying to beat it
yes i did map that car

i think it will be beat this year
by a car i am also mapping

Last edited by Gordon1; 01-05-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2012 | 09:01 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by foreigneRS

why is a bonnet even open? hardly representative of flat out 'on road' conditions is it?

25kW is 33bhp - that's as much airflow as a 250cc motorbike can push out of the way at full speed
The bonnet was left open as they wanted to check for any issues and listen for det as it was running.

I didn't say it was perfect, but given that as you say most are in single figures, it's just the best I've seen

Old 01-05-2012 | 09:06 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Thats a really interesting way to look at it, given that at full chat pretty much all your engine is achieving is moving air out of the way (sure there are losses like friction to road etc, but they are tiny by comparison) it does put into perspective just how powerful a fan you would need to have to replicate those conditions.

Although obviously if your 330bhp saph is only having 10% of that air pushed through the rad and cooler then maybe a well ducted 33bhp fan is upto the job?

As obviously the vast majority of the air that is pushed through by the car doesnt go through the rad etc.
Old 01-05-2012 | 09:09 AM
Chip

Forgot to say that the best fans I have seen were the ones at AVA ... you could lean into the flow and the flow woul support you (like high winds on a ferry).
Sounds ideal then, as those 160mph ferries are awesome
Old 01-05-2012 | 09:15 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

the rad fan will help with water cooling anyways and if still running modine with aftermarket cooler aswell it will help with oil too, if the water and oil gets a little bit hotter its hardly going to affect the tune like 60d acts are is it.

i dont get the issue with the bonnet open it makes fuck all difference at all ! think about this then, check a car at brunters say to 200 mph and all is fine with a strong tail wind, then get on the autobahn 200 mph headwind uphill gradient the conditions have changed, a dyno also applies alot of braking force to the hub / tyre to put it under load maybe even more load than it will see in that gear on the road, come to think of it my supra took longer to hit the limiter in 5th on the dyno than it takes on the road suggesting it was under more load than in real world conditions.
Old 01-05-2012 | 10:54 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Chip
Sounds ideal then, as those 160mph ferries are awesome
You know all I was trying to relate in simple terms how powerful it was compared to other fans . I just haven't experienced anything as powerful as these before or since.

As you can see by the ducting, and with the car positioned so that it is almost touching this, it is well ducted into the key area.

APT's one is the next best I have seen, and their monster fan is very well ducted and with a reducer it speeds up flow as well . I'm sure Gary will post up pictures .
Old 01-05-2012 | 11:02 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

i dont get the issue with the bonnet open it makes fuck all difference at all
It makes a MASSIVE difference on some cars mate... in fact, there are plenty of cars out there that would likely blow up if run hard with the bonnet open. Take care out there...
Old 01-05-2012 | 11:14 AM
Chip

the rad fan will help with water cooling anyways and if still running modine with aftermarket cooler aswell it will help with oil too, if the water and oil gets a little bit hotter its hardly going to affect the tune like 60d acts are is it.
Will it?

TBH if fed by a decent proper ducted fan through the front I would think the normal fan would hinder flow rather than help it if anything, probably better off removing it from the car, although not exactly practical to do every time a car goes on the rollers of course, lol

i dont get the issue with the bonnet open it makes fuck all difference at all ! think about this then, check a car at brunters say to 200 mph and all is fine with a strong tail wind, then get on the autobahn 200 mph headwind uphill gradient the conditions have changed, a dyno also applies alot of braking force to the hub / tyre to put it under load maybe even more load than it will see in that gear on the road, come to think of it my supra took longer to hit the limiter in 5th on the dyno than it takes on the road suggesting it was under more load than in real world conditions.
You could trail the break a bit at brunters to simulate extra load, but you wouldnt hit 200 anymore, lol

TBH though I doubt many cars that do 200 at brunters ever intend to do it for 50 miles of autobahn, well not in the context of cossies anyway!
Old 01-05-2012 | 11:16 AM
Chip

You know all I was trying to relate in simple terms how powerful it was compared to other fans . I just haven't experienced anything as powerful as these before or since.
Indeed, with you around its easier fishing from a keyboard than from the deck of a ferry thats for sure

As you can see by the ducting, and with the car positioned so that it is almost touching this, it is well ducted into the key area.
The ducting is crucial, you dont need to cool the windscreen etc after all!
Old 01-05-2012 | 11:16 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
It makes a MASSIVE difference on some cars mate... in fact, there are plenty of cars out there that would likely blow up if run hard with the bonnet open. Take care out there...
it does always baffle me why they run with the bonnet open. Since when were cars driven with their bonnet open, and since when was their cooling systems etc designed to run with the bonnet open.

The car should be tested in it's normal state.

And besides, if the fan system is adequate, no way should the bonnet be able to stay open on it's own. It would get blown all over the place and off it's normal hook thing.
Old 01-05-2012 | 11:58 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Will it?

TBH if fed by a decent proper ducted fan through the front I would think the normal fan would hinder flow rather than help it if anything, probably better off removing it from the car, although not exactly practical to do every time a car goes on the rollers of course, lol

You could trail the break a bit at brunters to simulate extra load, but you wouldnt hit 200 anymore, lol

TBH though I doubt many cars that do 200 at brunters ever intend to do it for 50 miles of autobahn, well not in the context of cossies anyway!
chip, you could say the same thing for a high speed run on the road the fan is just a hinderence, you know how i ment it that if the fan isnt adequate the rad fan will cut in if water temps get high.
Old 01-05-2012 | 12:02 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

i dont see how stu it will just let the air into the bay that would of deflected of the bonnet, and thats all it would do on my supra there is hardly any front lip to the bonnet at all.
Old 01-05-2012 | 12:03 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

radiator fans are usually small and useless. At anything above 25-30mph they just pose a restriction to airflow.
Old 01-05-2012 | 12:05 PM
Chip

chip, you could say the same thing for a high speed run on the road the fan is just a hinderence, you know how i ment it that if the fan isnt adequate the rad fan will cut in if water temps get high.
Indeed, they ARE a restriction on the road at high speed, but thats not a problem because there is SO much airflow at high speeds.
However on the rollers there isnt.

Them cutting in or not will be of no use under load.
Old 01-05-2012 | 12:21 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Thats a really interesting way to look at it, given that at full chat pretty much all your engine is achieving is moving air out of the way (sure there are losses like friction to road etc, but they are tiny by comparison) it does put into perspective just how powerful a fan you would need to have to replicate those conditions.

Although obviously if your 330bhp saph is only having 10% of that air pushed through the rad and cooler then maybe a well ducted 33bhp fan is upto the job?

As obviously the vast majority of the air that is pushed through by the car doesnt go through the rad etc.
absolutely

i would say that the AVA setup that Mike has posted is probably adequate for power runs. is it adequate for flat out mapping? possibly not. and certainly not representative if the bonnet is open.
Old 01-05-2012 | 12:27 PM
CF20
RS

Indeed, they ARE a restriction on the road at high speed, but thats not a problem because there is SO much airflow at high speeds.
However on the rollers there isnt.

Them cutting in or not will be of no use under load.
That comment made me lol, yeah true chipper, the fans are just about adequate for idling in traffic not a engine at full load
Old 01-05-2012 | 12:30 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Was orginally on a Dyno but checked on a RR at a Volvo shootout . We had no probs with fans but strapping was a bit of a problem they have since got a set of high power straps so it would make more Power with those fitted. 809bhp to prove despite a whole thread of its hard it aint if car is properly sorted.

Old 01-05-2012 | 12:30 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Why would a car blow up if the bonnet is open?
Old 01-05-2012 | 12:40 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Why would a car blow up if the bonnet is open?
Think about where a Scooby's intercooler is .
Old 01-05-2012 | 12:58 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by MadRod
Was orginally on a Dyno but checked on a RR at a Volvo shootout . We had no probs with fans but strapping was a bit of a problem they have since got a set of high power straps so it would make more Power with those fitted. 809bhp to prove despite a whole thread of its hard it aint if car is properly sorted.

I was there that day, it was awesome to watch!
Old 01-05-2012 | 12:59 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

i dont see how stu it will just let the air into the bay that would of deflected of the bonnet.
On "your" car maybe, maybe not as I havent seen it, but on many cars the engine only works properly with the bonnet down, and some are designed in such a way as the frontal area is ducted to create a positive pressure in the airbox (just as pretty much all motorcycles have done for 20+ years)

Even worse, some cars intercoolers dont work at all with the bonnet open, Impreza's and Pulsars are two great examples of this.

High engine load requires high cooling not only of the inlet, but also the sump, gearbox, differentials and ancillaries like ignition amplifiers etc. many cars even have fans to cool ECU's nowadays so they dont get too hot in traffic. Then we have the often forgotten exhaust primaries. What do you think your 1000deg C exhaust manifold is exhausting its heat to if its not atmosphere? Yep... your cylinder head, turbocharger core and exhaust valves... these items are all designed with huge amounts of air cooling to ensure longevity, which is why you should only wrap them when the temps your going to be seeing are a real danger to adjacent components unless your confident the items it is bolted to can take the extra thermal capacity.

Finally, at high road speeds your turbos inlet ratio also changes slighty as you hit positive pressure which affects the compressor map somewhat.

The list is endless really... have you ever felt the temperature of your tyres after a good few dyno runs? LOL
Old 01-05-2012 | 03:54 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Another reason not to open the bonnet is it can also give you a false positive aswell.
What i mean is with the bonnet shut you could have airflow problems that you dont have with the bonnet up.
A friend had this on his scooby.
With the bonnet up his engine was much better than bonnet down, (i assume it had more access to air) it actually made 70bhp more with the bonnet up as the air filter had more air and with it down must have been blocked in some way. (1 run bonnet down then opened bonnet to do next run, nothing else touched and literally 2 mins after 1st run)
( he didnt have an airbox, top mount.....)

And can i say, GREAT THREAD, with karl, stu and mark posting, and good technical stuff too, not seen that for a while!
Keep it up

Last edited by stu21t; 01-05-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2012 | 04:20 PM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Gordon1
not unbeatable but there is a lot of cars trying to beat it
yes i did map that car

i think it will be beat this year
by a car i am also mapping
http://www.eurosportscompact.co.uk/e....php?escID=114

terminal speed is wrong, it did 150mph
Old 01-05-2012 | 05:58 PM
Gordon1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by SiZT
http://www.eurosportscompact.co.uk/e....php?escID=114

terminal speed is wrong, it did 150mph

Thats a full drag set up
not road legal
but very good
Old 01-05-2012 | 06:11 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

indeed, good thread with great technical input from some top tuners
Old 01-05-2012 | 06:38 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

On "your" car maybe, maybe not as I havent seen it, but on many cars the engine only works properly with the bonnet down, and some are designed in such a way as the frontal area is ducted to create a positive pressure in the airbox (just as pretty much all motorcycles have done for 20+ years)

Even worse, some cars intercoolers dont work at all with the bonnet open, Impreza's and Pulsars are two great examples of this.

High engine load requires high cooling not only of the inlet, but also the sump, gearbox, differentials and ancillaries like ignition amplifiers etc. many cars even have fans to cool ECU's nowadays so they dont get too hot in traffic. Then we have the often forgotten exhaust primaries. What do you think your 1000deg C exhaust manifold is exhausting its heat to if its not atmosphere? Yep... your cylinder head, turbocharger core and exhaust valves... these items are all designed with huge amounts of air cooling to ensure longevity, which is why you should only wrap them when the temps your going to be seeing are a real danger to adjacent components unless your confident the items it is bolted to can take the extra thermal capacity.

Finally, at high road speeds your turbos inlet ratio also changes slighty as you hit positive pressure which affects the compressor map somewhat.

The list is endless really... have you ever felt the temperature of your tyres after a good few dyno runs? LOL
I agree on all counts...but he did of course use a Rototest hub dyno...so his tyres were nice and cold lol
Old 01-05-2012 | 06:51 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Gordon1
Thats a full drag set up
not road legal
but very good
When I was in Denmark in 2008, there was a MK2 Escort with a turbocharged pinto running mid 9's
Bloody impressive !

Old 01-05-2012 | 07:28 PM
YBJ
Thinking Cosworth..

Originally Posted by stu21t
And can i say, GREAT THREAD, with karl, stu and mark posting, and good technical stuff too, not seen that for a while!
Keep it up

indeed, good thread with great technical input from some top tuners
Dont forget the very useful inputs of Turbosystems and Mike Rainbird too!

I will confront the dyno operator with all this info and hopefully will get another session on good conditions.

Thanks all!
Old 01-05-2012 | 08:32 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by YBJ
Dont forget the very useful inputs of Turbosystems and Mike Rainbird too!
i'm sure tony will appreciate you not classifying him as a top tuner
Old 01-05-2012 | 08:35 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

He's ok i suppose lol

Steve
Old 01-05-2012 | 08:36 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Originally Posted by YBJ

I will confront the dyno operator with all this info and hopefully will get another session on good conditions.

Thanks all!
Unless he changes his cooling fan for a better one i doubt it will be much better

Also you will benefit so much from fitting a RS500 size intercooler as you have been told so many times

Steve
Old 01-05-2012 | 08:55 PM
turnover
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
When I was in Denmark in 2008, there was a MK2 Escort with a turbocharged pinto running mid 9's
Bloody impressive !

theres a few in Malta running 9s and 8s Stevie as you well know
Old 01-05-2012 | 09:43 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

The Maltese are more dedicated drag cars though. I'm sure when I was there, there was a Mk1 running 9's with a 1400cc pinto !! just a lot of nitrous.

Must get back over some day.
Old 01-05-2012 | 11:23 PM
turnover
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
The Maltese are more dedicated drag cars though. I'm sure when I was there, there was a Mk1 running 9's with a 1400cc pinto !! just a lot of nitrous.

Must get back over some day.
yes its still there turbo and nos ,it ran 9.9 in march .will see what it does this weekend
Old 02-05-2012 | 05:21 AM
MARCOSWORTH
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by YBJ

Thanks all!
Tell him i want to come along if done properly and somewere in July/August when my car is ready
Old 02-05-2012 | 08:11 AM
YBJ
Thinking Cosworth..

I just ment to say that I am very glad with everyone who has contributed to this post for helping me especially the guys like him. Sorry if I have wrote it down maybe the wrong way.
Old 02-05-2012 | 08:12 AM
YBJ
Thinking Cosworth..

Originally Posted by cossie4i+
Unless he changes his cooling fan for a better one i doubt it will be much better

Also you will benefit so much from fitting a RS500 size intercooler as you have been told so many times

Steve
I certainly will keep this all in mind Steve. Thanks for your advice!
Old 02-05-2012 | 04:18 PM
YBJ
Thinking Cosworth..

I have been to the dyno shop and explained all. They understand what has gone wrong with these act that has caused the ecu to act in the way it did.

I get a re-run with decent cooling!

Quick Reply: Advice needed: Low readings dyno shoot -> RE-RUN!!